Author Topic: Captain Dalrymple Dawson  (Read 6944 times)

Offline Lokelani

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Dalrymple Dawson
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 August 13 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi all - interesting reading, interesting characters - I'm part of the mix as well . . .

Mixedup - you may like to read the following transcript of Daniel Marley's trial at The Old Bailey:

Old Bailey Proceedings, 11th April 1833.

Reference Number: t18330411-154

824 DANIEL MORLEY was indicted for stealing, on the 18th of December , 1 trunk, value 10s.; 1 dress, value 30s.; 2 watches, value 12l.; 1 gold chain, value 8l.; 1 locket, value 2l.; 1 night-dress and cap, value 12s.; 2 pairs of stockings, value 8s.; 1 habit-shirt, value 15s.; 4 combs, value 30s.; 1 brush, value 2s.; 1 bag, value 10s.; 1 music-book, value 3l.; 7 pieces of music, value 12s.; 1 apron, value 1s., and 1 pair of shoes, value 3s. , the goods of Sarah Knight Bousfield .

CHARLES HENRY PARROTT . On the 18th of December I was at Muswell-hill, and saw the prisoner at the Green Man; he drove a cab - I had a trunk with me; I asked him to take me to town - he said he could not take me, but he would take the trunk for 1s. 6d.; I said I wanted it to get to town by five o'clock - he was waiting for a person; I told him to deliver the trunk at No. 12, Chatham-place, Blackfriars, for Miss Bousfield - the prisoner got into his cab, and took the reins, but I did not see him set off.

CATHERINE HAWKINS. I am the wife of James Hawkins; we keep the Green Man, at Muswell-hill. I saw the prisoner there with a cab, and I heard Parrott stipulate with him to take the trunk to town with in the time for 1s. 6d.

MISS SARAH KNIGHT BOUSFIELD. I live at Muswell-hill, with my brother. On the 18th of December I packed the trunk to go to town; there were two gold watches, some dresses, and all the articles stated in the indictment in it; they were worth about 32l. - I had left it at Muswellhill, and sent Parrott for it; I have never seen it since.

EDMUND DAVIS (Police-constable E 86). I live in Charlotte-street, Bloomsbury. I took the prisoner on the 24th of February. at the Bricklayers' Arms, in Rathbone-place; I said, "Halloo, Dan! I have been looking for you some time?" he said, "I may as well be transported as starved here; I have kept out of the way as long as I can" - I had received notice of the robbery the day it happened; I do not know where the cab No. 112 stood, which was the one the prisoner drove.

CHARLES HENRY PARROTT . I am sure the prisoner is the man.

MRS. HAWKINS. I am sure he is the man.

Prisoner's Defence. On the day mentioned I went out of the yard with a cab - I do not know the number; I went home to dinner, leaving the cab on the rank - I never saw the man I left it with till half-past twelve o'clock at night, when he came home drunk, with no money; I did not go home, for fear of two months' imprisonment for leaving my work - I told the Policeman I was taken for another man's crime; I was out of the way for fear of being taken for leaving my cab.
DAVID LEAK . I live in Worship-street. I employed the prisoner to drive the cab No. 112 - I sent him out on the 18th of December, and he never returned; a strange man brought the cab home, and said the prisoner had met with an accident, and was thrown out at Covent-garden-market; I went there, and found that no such thing had happened.
GUILTY . Aged 24. - Transported for Seven Years .

Offline mixedupmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 August 13 15:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information Lokelani, I m away at the moment but will look at it more closely when I get home. Who are you connected to - Isabella or Daniel or both? My husband is connected to Isabella.

Mixedup
Smealls - Kirkcaldy, Scotland
Williamsonson - Dunfermline, Scotland
Della Vedova - Tirano and surrounding villages, Italy
Maganetti - Tirano, Italy

Offline Lokelani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Mixedup

Isabella and Daniel were my great, great, great grandparents.

Lokelani

Offline philiprosscarter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 May 17 13:34 BST (UK) »
Daniel Marley & Isabella Dawson were my wife's great-great-great grandparents. Daniel had a wife & 3 children in England before he was transported - see attachment. Isabella's husband died in 1860 so neither was in a position to marry.
They had 2 children, twins, Daniel & Hannah, born on 11 March 1843. Daniel died young.
Hannah married Edward George Fletcher.

Phil Carter

Offline mixedupmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 May 17 11:23 BST (UK) »
Phil, thank you for that information. Isabella is my husband's great-great-great grandmother from her marriage to James Leitch. Which of Hannah Marley/Fletcher's children is your wife descended from?

R.

Offline philiprosscarter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 May 17 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hannah Marley married Edward George Fletcher and, according to my records, they had 11 children. Number 8 was Edward George (Ted) Fletcher (1878-1954). He married Catherine Elizabeth Knight (1880-1964) and they had 6 children. The first was Edward John (Jack) Fletcher (1901-1974) and he married Inez Margaret Anne Grimshaw (1907-2003). They had 3 girls, the middle being Valda Fletcher who is my wife's mother and now aged 90.

Cheers,
Phil.

Offline mixedupmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 06:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Phil - I have found the same information on the family.