Author Topic: George BELLAMY MD/Admiral Sir George Somers - Long shot!  (Read 25738 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: George Bellamy MD/Admiral Sir George Somers - Long shot!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 February 13 20:24 GMT (UK) »
You are now officially hooked.

There was a bit more re George MD 1773 at the site I linked to earlier (not tested, of course):

http://www.chrisrobinson.co.uk/places/bellamyclose.shtml

"A descendant of the Captain Bellamy who served Queen Elizabeth against the Armada"

Unfortunately for googling, there was a Captain Bellamy in Pirates of the Caribbean ...

The Armada thing was 1588. So that would make him pretty much an exact contemporary of George Somers 1554.

So at some point between those two men born c1550+ (if we assume the Capt Bellamy info to be correct) and Josias Bellamy (born late 1600s sometime), the lines were joined by marriage. Capt Bellamy himself could even have married a Ms Somers.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 February 13 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Uh oh.

http://www.bermudabiographies.bm/Archive/index-nov08.html

"His nephew and heir Matthew Somers ignored Somers’ dying wish for the Patience to complete its mission by returning to Virginia.  He had Somers’ heart and entrails removed and sailed to England on board the Patience with Somers’ embalmed body. Somers was buried in the Church of St. Candida and Holy Cross in Dorset on July 4, 1611. His heart is buried in Somers Gardens, St. George’s."

If his nephew was his heir ... maybe he still had a daughter ...

And actually, my original algebra was off. A Ms Somers could have married a Mr Smith and had a daughter who married a Mr Brown who had a daughter who married a Mr Bellamy ...

First job is to find whether George Somers had any children at all, I think!

You might end up being related through his nephew, as is the case for all the people in the US who claim to be descended from Gen George Monck, Duke d'Albemarle, and are really descended from his nephew Christopher ....

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bmuwgw/seaventure.htm

"Admiral Sir George Somers (1554-1610) was born near Lyme Regis in Dorset, England of modest circumstances. At an early age he took to the sea, and as a captain of the "Flibcote" he captured Spanish prizes, bringing them back to Dartmouth. He was to become a large landowner by his early thirties. In 1609 he received instructions to command an expedition to Virginia, mortgaged his property and outfitted the 'Sea Venture'. Legend has it that his heart was buried in St George's at his death November 19, 1610. He left no direct descendants."

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline natp_70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 February 13 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes, I am most definitely hooked!  ;D

To be honest at 95 my grandfather has pretty everything he could want (including 5, soon to be 7, great grandchildren) so I thought a properly prepared and researched family tree would be a great gift.

LOL - yes and as well as the Pirates of the Carribbean reference, there's also Sam Bellamy the pirate (who may yet prove to be a relative!)

How funny - I found the Chris Robinson website too and I've emailed him to ask him if he would be prepared to share any information.  Cheeky I know but he is clearly a man of knowledge!

Looks like, with Josias, I'm heading off into Cornwall!!!  I don't think my grandfather ever knew he came from so many points of the compass!

Thanks so much for your help  :D

Offline natp_70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 February 13 20:50 GMT (UK) »
I knew that Somers had no issue - it's something i'd already stumbled across but I strongly suspect a connection somewhere as the name Somers crops up frequently as a middle name all down the generations, even to my great-great uncle and there has always been a family 'legend' of the relationship.  I guess with the documentary evidence that I have found

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=T_kVAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA271&lpg=PA271&dq=George+Bellamy+MD+Mayor+of+Plymouth&source=bl&ots=tWfT9Uol_x&sig=dgqQMlI3h80gXCYLnRTYqFwv4Ss&hl=en&sa=X&ei=cZQWUd2bM4uR0QWko4GYBg&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=George%20Bellamy%20MD%20Mayor%20of%20Plymouth&f=false

the family legend is true ... now to find the connection ... still working back from Josias but looks like I may have to take a trip to Plymouth!

Any more info very gratefully received

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 February 13 20:52 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/index.php

An excerpt from Geoge Somers's will in response to a query about

"A 'Martha Somers,' said to be a descendant of the Admiral's, married a 'Thomas Penny,' July 23rd, 1764"

It quotes:

"Nicholas Somers, gent., his cousin and heir, aged 26 or more. Lady Johanna his wife still living at Whitchurch"
(who apparently gave the inventory of his estate)

-- ah, I had interpreted this as meaning Johanna was George Somers's wife, but I think it must mean Nicholas's wife?

"I, the said Geo. Somers, do give and bequeth to Mathew Somers and his heirs all that ..., and all other lands not bequeath, to Mat. Somers and his heirs for ever".

So it's not looking good for being a direct descendant of Admiral George Somers. ;)

http://www.thebermudian.com/past-issues/678

"There is one loose thread left to tie up in Sir George’s story: Matthew Somers, troubled teen and protégé, who carted his uncle’s body back to England to prove he was dead and thus claim his inheritance. Somers’s will left most of his property to Matthew, but a 1612 document reveals that Matthew’s older brother, Nicholas, was then in possession of most of the estate: apparently, doubts had cropped up about the authenticity of the will that Matthew had produced. ..."

"Nathaniel Butler apparently took Matthew Somers’s self-serving spin on the relationship between Sir George, Carter, Waters and Chard at face value, though, and allowed it to shape how he portrayed Somers as he wrote his history. We last hear of Matthew in February 1624 when, still in jail, he asked for his half of the £470 that the Virginia Company admitted Sir George had invested. The company told him that the investment belonged to Nicholas Somers, the 'right heir'; Nicholas was two years Matthew’s senior, and primogeniture in intestate cases bestowed all of Sir George’s assets upon him. In the end, Matthew got nothing. From beyond the grave (or rather, graves), Sir George no doubt approved."

So now where is this history written by this Nathaniel Butler ...

It's also looking like Matthew didn't have descendants either, but perhaps Nicholas?

You posted in between -- yup, I had got to Sam Bellamy the pirate from the Jack Hawkins wiki page, too. ;)

I have a great Armada tale a well -- my Bonds of Cornwall, apparently the ancestors of 007. (The motto Orbis Non Sufficit was theirs, along with a coat of arms involving a wingèd Pegasus, all allegedly lifted from a mural in Granada ... and of course we all know that is the Latin for The World Is Not Enough! Ian Fleming knew his Bond stuff, although he probably didn't know that the motto went back to Cornwall. Which it did, only if Victorian genealogists are to be trusted. ;) )

Ah, and a new post -- I'll have a look at your link!

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 February 13 21:02 GMT (UK) »
So we have Nicholas Somers being described in a document as George's "cousin and heir", but cousin could mean anything. He is also described as Mathew Somers's brother.
And Mathew Somers, pretty definitely his nephew.
And in the document you linked to (the footnote), John Somers is George's brother and executor.

So perhaps descent from John via a female descendant of John or Nicholas marrying a Bellamy?

All that FS has to offer are
Martha Summers marrying John Bellomy, Bristol 1733
Mary Summers marrying John Bellamy, Portsea 1719

Offline natp_70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 February 13 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Gosh - talk about turning detective!

Right, well looks like a road trip is definitely in order as I have found a reference in the National Archives to a collection of documents relating to the Bellamy family, especially the good doctor, including ... and this is where it may get interesting ... a genealogy illustrating the connection between George B and George S!!! The documents are held at the Plymouth archive office, so in the infamous words of someone ... "Go West!"

I may also visit out local LDS family search centre as I should be able to gain access to the microfilms there which would have more details than they show on the website.

Wow ... it's all quite exciting really ... a surgeon in Nelson's army on one side and a pioneer in patent law on the other!

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 February 13 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Let's just hope it isn't one of those Victorian "genealogies" -- they really can get quite fanciful. (I have an electronic copy of The Bonds of Earth, actually written in the early-mid 1900s I think, and while it's fun, it isn't history. ;) )

But yes, it's your absolute first stop, I'd say.

Meanwhile, FS does have baptisms that could be relevant. Do an exact search for

surname s*mers
birthplace Devon
year 1550 to 1650
father nic*

and you get five baptisms for children of a Nicholas Sommers (too early for mother to be recorded) all in St Andrew except one:

Richard 1603 Ottery St Mary (quite possibly a different father)
Christopher 1616
Cicily 1619
Andrew 1620
Katherine 1627

You'll tell us what the tree says when you get a chance to see it?

Maybe someone here taking a trip to the DRO will be curious enough now to volunteer to check it out. ;)

(I'm on the other side of the ocean, or I'd be there checking out stuff of my own.)

Offline natp_70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 February 13 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I am sure that there is someone out there with the information ... just a case of them seeing this thread!

Out of interest are you a bellamy too? Or just a very helpful person?  ;D