Author Topic: Sheppard  (Read 2111 times)

Offline calvin007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sheppard
« on: Monday 11 February 13 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Has anybody got access to either Bredfield or Fressingfield baptism records. I have a Sarah Sheppard who married James Oxborrow in 1804 in Bredfield. They had one child there and then moved to Fressingfield. I am unsure where she was baptised but it could be in either parish. Census records would put her baptism ~1783 but i have no potential links for siblings and/or parents

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sheppard
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 09:33 GMT (UK) »
familysearch.org lists a Sarah SHEPPEARD bpt 25 Nov 1783 Fressingfield.  Parents John SHEPPEARD & Ann

That spelling of the name seems to go back some way in Fressingfield PRs
Mary SHEPPEARD wife of John (farmer) buried 11 Dec 1698.

A John SHEPPARD age 67 was buried 23 Jun 1831 Fressingfield

At a quick look I can't see a burial of an Ann but there are quite a few variations in the spelling of the name.

K

Offline levismama

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 April 17 01:04 BST (UK) »
my 4 times Grandparents were James Oxborrow and Sarah Sheppard 1783?.. I descend from their daughter Sarah who married Samuel Freure in Fressingfield 1834.. I have not been able to find parents/siblings either for Sarah Sheppard Oxborrow ..   

Offline calvin007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 April 17 20:18 BST (UK) »
My records show that Sarah Sheppard was baptised 25/11/783 in Fressingfield. She is the daughter of John Shepheard and Elizabeth Whitmore.
The siblings for Sarah I have listed are: John (born 1775), Elizabeth (born 1779) and Mary Ann (born 1781). All born in Fressingfield

Offline levismama

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 May 17 02:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information on Sarah Sheppard .. Cheers Margaret.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 May 17 10:32 BST (UK) »
levismama, our Bridges' were in Fressingfield at one time of day and we still have the FRUER name in our family.

SM ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline calvin007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sheppard & Oxborrow
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 June 21 15:04 BST (UK) »
I've recently come back to my ancestry research after moving from abroad and having to start again after my offline tree was corrupted.
I've been looking back at the Sheppard and Oxborrow family just recently and what I thought was straight forward has be chasing in circles.
It's now James Oxborrow who is proving elusive.
I originally thought that he was baptised in 1783 in Helmingham, but now I'm not sure
There are two potential burial dates for him - 1840 in Helmingham age 53 and 1847 in Tannington age 70
If it is Helmingham, then this would fit with the 1783 baptism, but all children bar one were born in Fressingfield.
If it's Tannington, there is a potential 1841 census listed with James and Sarah and a daughter Martha. But this would put his baptism way earlier at ~ 1771
In addition there appears a non-parochial baptism in 1781 in Rendham with his birth place listed as Farnham.
Any ideas how to narrow it down?

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 June 21 16:56 BST (UK) »
The Suffolk Family History Society's transcript shows that James OXBOROW's home parish was Burnham before he married Sarah SHEPPARD at Bredfield in April 1804. So does the marriage licence bond catalogued at Suffolk Archives for husbandman James OXBOROUGH of Burnham and Sarah SHEPPERD of Bredfield. There is a cluster of villages named Burnham in north Norfolk but the county is not specified in the marriage records, so perhaps somewhere in Suffolk is more likely, such as Barnham or Barsham, although neither of these is close to either Bredfield or Fressingfield.

If James was born in Bredfield, he may have been baptized there in 1768, a son of Stephen and Temperance OXBORROW. Stephen OXBORROW of Dallinghoo had married Temperance BUCKENHAM at Bredfield in 1766. She died in 1784 and widowed shopkeeper Stephen OXBORROW of Bredfield obtained a licence to marry Mary WHITMORE at Melton in 1787 (Suffolk Archives). Stephen OXBOROUGH was buried at Bredfield in 1813 aged 78 (born c.1735) and Mary OXBOROUGH in 1826 aged 84 (b. c.1742). Stephen's will (Norwich Consistory Court 1813, from folio 326 verso: FamilySearch.org image 634) was signed in September 1804, when his son James was a shopkeeper of Bredfield.

Stephen's daughter Mary OXBORROW of Dallinghoo married farmer Thomas WHITMORE of Brundish in 1796 (Suffolk Archives). I imagine he may be a son of Thomas WHITMORE of Wilby (buried at Brundish aged 71 in 1816; b. c.1745) whose brief (nuncupative?) will was proved in 1817 (Suffolk Archives).

Mary's brother Stephen OXBORROW of Bredfield (c.1765-1847) also made a will. In 1851 this was "exhibited into the [Norwich Consistory Court's] Office to be filed and registered only" (not proved) because he left no personal effects, but it is accessible at FamilySearch.org (folios 64 & 65: images 75 & 76).

Other wills of potential interest held by the Suffolk Record Office include those of farmer John SHEPPARD of Fressingfield [father of Mary Ann NORMAN and Sarah OXBURGH? (line 16); buried 1807 at Brome?] and "Edmund" OXBORROW of Helmingham [Edward? (c.1748-1819)].

Since James OXBORROW was a husbandman at the time of his wedding in 1804, he probably had more in common with the Tannington farming community than with the Woodbridge gun maker of the same name (born c.1786) who was buried at Helmingham in 1840 aged 53 (Suffolk FHS burial index) or 55 (Suffolk Chronicle 14 Nov. 1840). The gunsmith's widow, Elizabeth [m. Crowfield 1814, née DRABBLE or DARBY?], died at her son's home in Kilburn several years later (Suffolk Chronicle 9 Jan. 1847).

The will of farmer James OXBORROW of Tannington (c.1765-1847) was proved at Worlingworth before a surrogate of the Norwich Consistory Court on 28 January 1848 (folios 63 to 66: FamilySearch.org images 72 to 75), power being reserved to grant administration to his widow Sarah, but she appears to have died about three weeks earlier. If you would care to request a free image of their headstone from the Gravestone Photographic Resource, it could be a good opportunity to mention that the years of death are wrongly transcribed there as 1817 and 1818 instead of 1847 and 1848. This suggests that Sarah's age might have been 64 rather than 61, bringing her birth closer to the baptism of Sarah SHEPHEARD at Fressingfield in 1783, despite being recorded as 57 in the Tannington burial register.

David

Offline calvin007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 July 21 20:38 BST (UK) »
David - Thank you so much for the information and the links. I didn't know about being able to access the wills so I am incredibly grateful. I have also requested a copy of the gravestone photo

Thank you