Author Topic: Help need as to what happened to Elizabeth WELSH  (Read 12225 times)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help need as to what happened to Elizabeth Welsh
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 10:04 GMT (UK) »

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Father's burial:

MCLELLAN James Buonaparte age 44yrs, 17 Mar 1844, Tower Hamlets, Middlesex.

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Merlin, Many thanks for all the wonderful information.  I have now found Ann McLellan nee Cutts on the C1851 living with her married daughter, husband and family, plus Ann & James's son Edward.

Fantastic to know where Elizabeth came from so only need to find out what happened to her after her husband William Welsh died.

Thanks again, very much appreciated

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 02:20 GMT (UK) »
I have just had a look at some certificates posted online for this family, in particular Bertha's marriage cert.  They have only posted a small portion, but as Bertha was underage at 18 years, the person giving permission for her to marry was a J. A. PANTON, J.P.

I would think this means that her mother was deceased or absent in 1886.

The informant on her death cert was son Robert, and her father is given as -WILLIAMS, occupation: Demolisher, mother unknown, and she was married in Sydney.  This indicates that he had little knowledge of his mother's family or past.  I don't know how her father went from being a Printer to a Demolisher!!

I see that William and Elizabeth's marriage cert is one which was not reconciled with the church records.  Bonnie you really need to contact the Presbyterian church to obtain Elizabeth's parent's names from the church register to be sure you have the right person born in London.

William's death notice says he had 3 children??  Was the other from his first marriage? 

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 02:28 GMT (UK) »
I have just had a look at some certificates posted online for this family, in particular Bertha's marriage cert.  They have only posted a small portion, but as Bertha was underage at 18 years, the person giving permission for her to marry was a J. A. PANTON, J.P.

I see that William and Elizabeth's marriage cert is one which was not reconciled with the church records.  Bonnie you really need to contact the Presbyterian church to obtain Elizabeth's parent's names from the church register to be sure you have the right person born in London.

Hi there, supporting Debra's suggestion re the mc was not reconciled with church records .... please see the following thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debra ... Re marriage Bertha Annie Welsh marriage to Walter Arnold Johnston 1886, I certainly didn't think of that angle that Bertha being underage, she would have needed her mother or father permission to marry as we know her father had passed away so it looks like her mother too and therefore JP needed to give authority for her to marry.  I will certainly contact the Presbyterian church to see if they have the church records for the marriage of her parents, thanks for that, also JM for the link.

With regards to Bertha's father William Welsh and his first marriage to Christina McIntosh, I found a record on the LDS site;  They married 11 Apr 1849 at Wicklow Ireland.  They arrived into Sydney on the 'Victoria' 04 Sep 1849 as full paying passengers (interesting to read his comments about the voyage!)  William stated his father, 'William Welsh' was residing in Sydney at 'Brickhill' however I haven't been able to find anything on him as yet and this is another thing to track down

I've only been able to find 2 (not 3) children, Eleanor born 1850 NSWbdm # 1221.35, surname spelt WELCH.   George (but no luck finding a NSW birth reg.,) but a death notice SMH 13 Sep 1859 page 9 lists the death of George Welsh at 9 Little Gipps St. Surry Hill, aged 15 months, parents William and Christina.

Re death of Bertha Annie Johnston nee Welsh.  The informant was my husband's grandfather, Robert Johnston, so as you say, it seems that he and his many siblings had no knowledge of their grandparents.

What I can't figure out what was Bertha doing in Melbourne?  Her husband Walter Arnold Johnston was born there and I don't know if he came to Sydney and they ran away together, back to Melbourne  ???  and what happened to Bertha's mother  ???

I am still sorting out information received yesterday re Elizabeth Welsh nee McLellan's birth and parentage and will do another post soon with what I too have dug up.

Thanks again for your great suggestions and anything else you may think of, I would very much  appreciate your input.  Bonnie

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bonnie,

Do we know what name the initial L in Constance's birth index is for?

1702/1865    WELSH    CONSTANCE L    WILLIAM    ELIZABETH    SYDNEY

Also where was William Welsh buried? I was thinking maybe if Elizabeth died not long after she may well be buried with him.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 04:57 GMT (UK) »
FamilySearch has a transcription of her baptism.  The image gives a little more information:
Baptism in the Parish of St Anne's, Balckfriars
1834, 5 Oct.   Eliz'th, dau of James Buonaparte and Ann McLellan,
Abode: New Rutland? St, Commercial Road.  Father's occupation: cutter  (cutler?)

On the same day, recorded on the line above Elizabeth, is
John s/o John and Maria McLellan,
Abode: Shoemaker Row,  Father's occupation: cutter (cutler?)

Perhaps the fathers, John and James, were brothers?

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk