Author Topic: Edward George LANDELLS - whose son is he?  (Read 22675 times)

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward George LANDELLS - whose son is he?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Geordie daughter. I have a bit of info re Adam, but I would like to know what his movements were after coming into Adelaide and marrying Elizabeth Dibbs.
And how many children were with Adam after Margaret died on the voyage?

I'm not sure if this thread is still active, but the information I have is that James LANDELLS and Margaret DOUGLAS had 9 children, William Burns George dying at 11 months old on 19th October 1849 and his mother Margaret died 2 days later on 21st October 1849.  Both were buried at sea off Teneriffe.
I haven't seen passenger lists for the "Douglas" at either end of the journey to Adelaide, so I am not sure how many children arrived in Australia.
As far as I can recall (without looking through some notes), Adam's brother William Burns LANDELLS came to Australia after 1849, and some time after the Rev WB became established I believe Adam moved to Victoria, possibly after the discovery of gold, and at a later time his brother WB allowed him to set up on some land he owned.
Adam's wife Elizabeth Dibbs, who he married in 1850,  died in 1877 - that's quite a gap in what I know.
In 1883, Adam went to NZ (Tauranga) to visit his son Edward Douglas LANDELLS (who would have been 10 years old when arriving in Adelaide - I am not sure when he arrived in NZ, possibly about 1870 ?). Adam died of a heart attack in 1833, and is buried in Tauranga Cemetery. 

Offline rkwau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello westernwombat, this message is a blast from the past! I completed the Landells famhis (or what I could) a couple of years ago. But thank you for the post. I think I remember being interested in Adam as we were going to NZ at the time and came down to Tauranga (I think).

William Burns Landellis one of my ancestors. His dau married Caleb Vines.

Let me know if you need further info.

Cheers
Rhonda

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rhonda
Yes, I know that most of the contributors to this EG Landells thread would have completed that part of their researching.

WB Landells is my "3rd great-grandfather" - an interesting character. SOme years ago, my late mother, in Perth, had some information sent to her by Gary Kent from Victoria - I "inherited" those papers and correspondence. A part of that was the Caleb Vines branch that does involve the Landells centred around Geelong. So I have researched a bit of Vines history as well.
In fact, I have asked about him here at RootsChat.   

Offline rkwau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 16 February 17 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Thks Westernwombat...if you want to know my research on the Lnadells/Vines my email is (*) . Yes Gary is a rellie...
R

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 17 February 17 07:43 GMT (UK) »
From what I know from my mother's family Adam James Douglas Landells and Edward George Landells were twins.  I actually have them down on our family records.  They were born on 24 March 1876 in Coburg, Victoria.

There are no twin LANDELLS births registered in 1876 in Victoria.

In Victoria all previous issue, both living and deceased, to the marriage are detailed on birth certificates.

From John Dallawill's birth certificate.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 17 February 17 09:33 GMT (UK) »
There are no twin LANDELLS births registered in 1876 in Victoria.

The hand-written list does not include 3 of the children that I have on my data, for James Douglas Landells + Jane Singleton.

This is the correlation I can give -

william james         3 jan 1860  <-- william dead   
jane                 31 aug 1861  <-- jane       17 years
mary margaret        24 nov 1863  <-- mary    ?  14 years
grace douglas        19 jul 1866  <-- grace      12 years
adam james           31 jan 1868  <-- james      10 years
william george       25 dec 1869  <-- william     8 years
annie ada             1 jan 1872  <-- annie       6 years
david henry          19 jan 1874  <-- david       4 years
edward george        24 mar 1876
adam james douglass  24 mar 1876  <-- adam james  2 years
john dallawell        5 aug 1877
henry hunter          7 jan 1882

I hope I have the font that makes this a neat display. [a few edits]

I have checked the Victoria BDM and you are correct - actually, neither of those that I have as b. 24 Mar 1876  appear.

What do we make of that?!

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 17 February 17 10:47 GMT (UK) »
As with all records I suppose, their accuracy depends on the person recording the details and the person giving them. If the evidence is out there, hopefully it will turn up sooner or later. Interestingly, Edward George Landells's daughter Millicent had twin boys (my mother-in-law's brothers), so perhaps there were twins running through Jane Singleton's side of the family. I have no information on her, unfortunately.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 17 February 17 10:52 GMT (UK) »
re that handwritten list that Cando kindly attached at reply #31. 

To me, that's a snip of the information recorded on the birth registration as noted by Cando as a list of John's siblings.  So, logically  it will NOT have the details for John's YOUNGER sibling, and as it is the document for John's own birth registration, his name will not appear on the list of his siblings.  So there's two of those missing names explained. (John and his younger sibling). 
And as Cando noted there were no twin LANDELLS births registered in 1876 in Victoria, so that's the explanation for the third name not appearing on that list.     

So, from your list westernwombat, it seems likely that the informant for John's birth did NOT know of the earlier birth of twin boys (add, just a year or so earlier than John's birth, but knew of the birth of Adam James in 1876).   

I wonder who was the informant for John's birth?   

From Vic BDM online index :
Registration year 1878, BIRTH, Reg. no 14677
John Dallawal LANDELLS
Father's name James Douglass
Mother's maiden name Sarah (Singleton)

https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj

Adam's bc in 1876 is reference 8239.   Twins are often registered at same time as each other, and allocated consecutive registration numbers.  The online index allows searches by number.  The ref 8238 for births in 1876 is for the surname ELLIOT and 8240 is surname MCDONALD

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 18 February 17 00:04 GMT (UK) »
I thought I had explained the handwritten list of names from the birth registration of John Dallawill LANDELLS.  The informant was his mother Sarah and she signed clearly as such.   Surely she would know how many children alive and deceased along with their names when registering the birth of John.  I repeat there are no twin birth registrations in 1876 for the LANDELLS in Victoria.  JM has explained clearly about the numbering of registrations.  There is no birth registration for an Edward George LANDELLS in Victoria in 1876.

An image of a birth /registration in Victoria in the 1870's, is a page from the register which has space for five registrations. 

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk