Author Topic: Liverpool Directory - About 1847 - Bryan CASSIDY  (Read 3245 times)

Offline firesidecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Liverpool Directory - About 1847 - Bryan CASSIDY
« on: Tuesday 12 February 13 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The marriage certificate for my 3 x great grandparents, Laurence Cassidy(b. abt 1824) & Mary King (b. abt. 1827), at St Mary's Catholic Church, Liverpool in Sept 1847 gives Laurence's father's name as Bryan Cassidy, occupation Cow Keeper.  I know from the census that Laurence was born in Ireland and so presumably was his father.  However, what I don't know is if Bryan also came over to Liverpool or whether he stayed in Ireland.  Also, whilst it doesn't say 'deceased' on the marriage certificate I can't rule out the possiblility that he may have been.  Anyway, I can't find him on the census in Liverpool in 1851 but I wonder if someone has access to a Liverpool Trade Directory around 1847 which may list Bryan Cassidy as a Cow Keeper or such like?
Kind regards
Sam

Offline firesidecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Directory - About 1847 - Bryan CASSIDY
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I forgot to mention that Laurence's address at time of marriage was Roberts Building, Eldon Street, Liverpool.  I'm clutching at straws but wondered if Bryan might have been a Cow Keeper here?

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sam,

There was a Bryan Cassidy who was buried at St. Nicholas RC church Copperas Hill Liverpool on 8 Mar 1829 aged 36 (born about 1793) no occupation listed unfortunately. Ancestry have this record as Broayn Cassidy but it's actually Bryan Cassidy. I've submitted the transciption error it will appear at some point in the future with the correct spelling visible as an alternative.

Blue

Offline firesidecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Blue, I'll bear that in mind.  If it was him (though from what I can gather the name Bryan was quite a popular Irish name, so possibly not my Bryan) then perhaps an earlier Directory would be more appropriate.  Kind regards, Sam

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 22:29 GMT (UK) »
There's no mention of Bryan or Laurence in any of the Liverpool directories that I use. Have a look at this thread about Liverpool Cowkeepers:-

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=372723.0

Blue

Offline firesidecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 February 13 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting thread, thanks for that Blue.  And thanks for checking in your directories.  Maybe he did remain in Ireland, though perhaps not all Cow Keepers would have been listed in directories anyway.
Kind regards
Sam

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 February 13 22:21 GMT (UK) »
There's a good chance your Bryan was the man buried in Liverpool in 1829.

Blue

Offline firesidecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 February 13 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Blue
The thing is, I had originally thought they had come across from Ireland later on.  In the 1851 census, Lawrence and Mary (both b. Ireland) have a son John (b. Ireland) aged 2 and daughter Ann (b. Liverpool) aged 1.  All later census records also give Johns place of birth as Ireland.  From this information I had assumed that Lawrence had come to Liverpool in the year between John and Ann's birth.  Which, as well as being at the height of the famine, was not an unreasonable assumption.  However, then I stumbled across Lawrence and Mary's marriage in Liverpool in 1847.  So now I am left wondering well how come John was born in Ireland around 1848 if his parents married in Liverpool in 1847?  There were a few John Cassidy's born in Liverpool around that time and so I guess I need to check them out.  If I find that in fact John was born in Liverpool and not Ireland then I would feel more confident that in fact they had come to Liverpool sooner than I had been led to believe and therefore that the Bryan buried in Liverpool in 1829 was the right one.  Sorry if that was rather long winded :-) but that should at least explain why I have reservations.  Kind regards, Sam

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 February 13 10:41 GMT (UK) »
For some strange reason that 1847 RC marriage is not available there should be two versions of the marriage the certificate that you must have and the record at St. Mary's.

The census record may be wrong about the child's Irish birth it does happen. There really should be RC baptisms for the children in Liverpool but I can't find any. Can you give us all the details from the marriage certificate from 1847? Maybe that will prompt more people on here to help on this thread.

Blue