Author Topic: Expeditionary Force "D" mesoptamia  (Read 4060 times)

Offline ivorjbody

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Expeditionary Force "D" mesoptamia
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 July 16 15:10 BST (UK) »
COPY OF LETTER FROM JOHN TO MABEL WRITTEN ON JAN 11th.
Just had this letter trancribed from a newspaper cutting from Colunel John Body (Wittersham) to his wife Mabel Body (Kenward)

“The 5th Buffs have had their baptism of fire and have gained great praise from all, but at a very heavy cost. I am not allowed to tell you much, but no doubt you will have seen the casualty list before you get this. Fraser, Cheesman, Adam, Peters, Macfadyen, Walker, Collingridge, Leaf and self were the only officers not hit. Poor Hugh Marchant, Guy Baker and Rothwell were killed, Buss and Goshen cannot recover, all the others were slightly wounded. [Then there is something about the casualties among the men which has all been crossed out in blue pencil, and all I can see is ‘slight; wounded – this added by Mabel]. It was a terrific battle and the 5th Buffs have made a great name for themselves out here. I am very proud of them, they were splendid and fought like lions. The General addressed us yesterday and thanked us all for all we had done. I am very fit, we hear no new and I am longing to get another letter from you.”

Offline Kev40m

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Expeditionary Force "D" mesoptamia
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 March 17 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi looking at the list of soldiers do you think they were in kamptee india as my grandfather is on the list harry obbard .