Author Topic: Sarah BING born c 1764  (Read 5356 times)

Offline mcmacey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah BING born c 1764
« on: Friday 15 February 13 01:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find a birth record for Sarah BING who married John Macey (sometimes transcribed as Meecey) at St Leonard's Deal in 1784. John was christened at Wye in 1855 so it is possible Sarah came from same area.

Several of John and Sarah's children and grandchildren have the middle name Dierson, or Dyerson, or similar variants, so there may be a family connection through marriage.

I have found a marriage between Thomas Bing and Elizabeth Dyason at Nackington in 1753 - there are several births listed on familysearch but no mention of a daughter called Sarah. My John and Sarah Macey's children include an Elizabeth and a Thomas although of course these are very common forenames.

There is also a Sarah Bing born at Ickham in 1757 to Henry Bing and Anne Frend. She's the right age but these parents' names don't persist in the family...

Can anyone help me find more about Sarah Bing?

Thanks in anticipation.

Macey Bates McInnes McClymont

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah BING born c 1764
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 March 13 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi McMacey,

Can you straighten out this statement for me, please:

John was christened at Wye in 1855 so it is possible Sarah came from same area.

First, I suspect that John MACEY, if you are referring to the husband was not christened during 1855, a full 71 years following his marriage to Sarah BING.

Second, could you please state how you know you have the correct christening of the correct John MACEY for the marriage.

In genealogy, in Kent, it is not possible to always say that if one person came from such and such an area, then the other person must have too.  Population was very fluid in Kent and families migrated to take work.  So there may be root ties to an area but christenings of a contemporary nature, such as you would have for Sarah BING may have taken place at Canterbury, at Hythe or any place in between.  Dyason is also a relative common surname throughout Kent so it may be that the Dyason in your family group came from Sarah's father's mother and not necessarily from her own mother.

Sincerely
Susan
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline mcmacey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 March 13 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan

Thank you for pointing out my silly mistake. The John Macey in question was christened in 1755, not 1855.

I got most of my information during a visit to Kent a couple of years ago labouring through microfiche records. The marriage record for St Leonard's Church Deal, 12 July 1783, gives the groom's name as John Meesey, but I am confident I have the right family. Over the next 70 years the name varies through Meesey/Masey/Macey/Mercer and eventually one branch of the family living in Deal settles on the form Macey, while another living in Walmer settles on Mercer.

While I don't think I can ever be 100% certain that this John Meecey is the same John Macey christened in Wye 1755, I used a process of elimination (infant deaths, alternative marriages etc) to rule out other candidates.

There is a sizeable clutch of Maceys living in and around Wye and Crundale in the eighteenth century, whereas they don't seem to feature in the Deal area before the 1783 marriage.

I've never been able to get any further on Sarah Bing's line and I'm just curious to know more about her. There is another possible lead in that the witnesses to John and Sarah's 1783 marriage were Jas Scruton and Mary Allen. There is a record on Family Search for a marriage at St Leonard's in 1785 between Joseph Bing and Mary Allen - he may be Sarah's brother.

Regards

Betty

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 March 13 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty,

The marriage of Joseph Bing and Mary Allen sounds like a very good lead particularly if there was a Joseph amongst the children of John Macey and Sarah Bing.  I would suggest though that, in addition, to looking at Joseph Bing as a potential brother, you add him as a potential father, uncle or cousin to Sarah. 

From my own database, I've found a christening as follows:
MACER,   John   C   17 May   1747   son of Nicholas/[wife's name not recorded] at Aldington. Source:  BT

There is also this christening from my database:
MERCER   John   C   10 Feb   1754   son of John/Mary at Pluckley. Source: BT

Although the first above listed John would have been a little older than he would have been if born circa 1755, Aldington is another parish that is 21.7 miles distant from Deal while Wye is 20.2 miles distant from Wye. 

Within a 13-mile radius of Deal are 95 parishes most of which are not on the IGI.  Within a 7-mile radius there are 34 parishes, likewise largely not on the IGI. 

I can eliminate all three parishes of Sandwich for you as those are part of my database and there are no Macey [variants included] living there.

When you say you went through the microfiche records, did you keep a log of which parishes you did?  The following is a list of the immediately abutting parishes to Deal and as you can see these have not been indexed on the I.G.I.  Even if you have done each of these parishes, the list may still be useful for someone else researching Deal and wondering 'where to next'.

Do you use the Parloc program http://www.parloc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ to help plot neighbouring parishes?

Betteshanger not on igi
Northbourne no igi
Little Mongeham no igi
Great Mongeham no igi
Nonington - on Kent-opc.org and nothing there
Ringwould no igi
Sutton no igi
Ripple no igi
Tilmanstone no igi
Knowlton no igi
Waldershare no igi
Chillenden no igi
Eastry no igi
Worth no igi
Woodnesborough no igi
West Langdon no igi
East Langdon no igi
Oxney no igi
Shoulden no igi

Regards,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 March 13 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Relationships are a bit sparse but an interesting 1820 will for Thomas DADD or Ickham which mentions BINGs and "MESSEY" http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mrawson/dadd1820.html

There's definitely some clues there!  Nathaniel OUGHAM appears to have married Susan DYASON for a start.  Thomas DADD(S) himself may well have been the one who married a Sarah DYASON.

Elizabeth (widow of Thomas BING blacksmith of Sandwich)
Joseph BING of Deal blacksmith
John MESSEY of Deal brickmaker, wife Sarah nee BING
Benjamin BING of Ash nr Sandwich victualler
should all be related I would think!

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mcmacey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 March 13 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Dear Susan and Casalguidi

Thank you both so much for your contributions. In answer to your question, Susan, I did look at some of these parishes and recognise some of the names, but the more I do this the more I realise how important it is to be systematic. Nowadays I keep everything in a bound notebook but in those days I was working on loose leaf. I may have to revisit them.

In the meantime I am very excited to see the Dadd will, especially as it explicitly mentions John Messey (sic) and his wife Sarah. I've never had a profession for John Macey but his son Joseph's occupation is given as brickmaker on the marriage record of his son, also Joseph. John Macey's other son John became proprietor of the Brickmakers' Arms, later Bricklayers' Arms in West Street Deal - a house of some notoriety, I believe. I will definitely be following up the connection between the Dadds and Dyasons.

Thanks again,

Betty

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 March 13 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Amongst the East Kent Parish Registers online at http://www.findmypast.co.uk there are possible burials for Joseph and Benjamin BING.  Also Sarah MACEY at Deal with a birthdate of approximately 1765.  There are some baptisms which could relate to them at Ash .......... pay per view.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 March 13 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty and Casalguidi,

Good job Casalguidi.

The Will is also on http://www.kent-opc.org/Parishes/wills/Dadd1818Ickham.html where all of the words were transcribed and the entire Will re-transcribed and proof-read by me before it was posted for the owners.  The name of the individual is not Messey as shown on Maureen Rawson's website but Mercer - which, as you know, Betty, seems to be an acceptable variant for the surname for your family.

The Will of the father, James Dadds, is also on www.kent-opc.org at
http://www.kent-opc.org/Parishes/wills/Dadd1813Ickham.html

I am going to try to attach a clip from the original Will of 1818 on which I have highlighted above the name of John Mercer in yellow.  The writing was really bad!  But, it is clearly enough Mercer.
CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner

Offline mcmacey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 00:51 GMT (UK) »
It certainly looks more like Mercer than Messey. Is the second reference the same?

The Macey-Mercer variants may seem far-fetched, but I became quite satisfied after finding all the different forms that the name was transcribed in such wildly different ways. I didn't find Mercer until slightly after I'd got used to Meesey and Maser and so on. My ancestor Rebecca Macey had a brother, Joseph, who lived most of his life in Walmer and was known as Joseph Mercer. However when he married in 1843 it was to a Deal girl at St Leonard's under the name Macey. Rebecca was one of his witnesses and a few years later she married the nephew of Joseph's wife.

Rebecca's first son Edwin Macey was born prior to her marriage and he and his descendants have always used the form Macey. Needless to say I have given up all hope of ever finding out who Edwin's natural father might have been!

Regards

Betty