Author Topic: Sarah BING born c 1764  (Read 5358 times)

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah BING born c 1764
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty,

Yes, the second reference is also to "John Mercer" and, again, I have attached the snippit for you.  I have highlighted in yellow both above and below his name, which appears on the fourth line from the top.  If you look two lines below his name, third word in from the left is "Survivor".  Compare the letter 'r' at the end of that word with the last letter in John's surname and also with the third letter in his surname.  Then in that same line, the 7th word over from the left is "case" which provides an almost perfect comparison for the letters "c" and "e" in the surname MERCER.  I've included just a little extra snippet in this image as it makes the reference to Sarah being late BING a singlewoman.  If you email the owners of the Will found at in the preamble on
http://www.kent-opc.org/Parishes/wills/Dadd1818Ickham.html
and tell them about your connection found in the Will they may send you a copy of the PDF of the original Will. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline mcmacey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan

Just to let you know I contacted the will owners as you suggested and they are being immensely helpful.

Thanks again,

Betty
Macey Bates McInnes McClymont

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty,

Glad to hear of a successful contact.  Good luck with your continued research.

Sincerely,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline mcmacey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 February 17 11:15 GMT (UK) »
I was very grateful for the assistance I received on this post. I thought people might like to read where it took me.

I am quite satisfied that the John Mercer named in Thomas Dadd's will is the same as John Meecey who married Sarah Bing at Deal in 1783. The will provided good clues: Sarah's mother Elizabeth was Elizabeth Dyason, probably the sister of Sarah Dyason who married Thomas Dadd.

One of the witness to John and Sarah Meecey's marriage was Mary Allen, who later married Sarah's brother Joseph Bing named their first child Joseph Dison Meecy and their second Elizabeth Dyason Meecey; a later child was named Benjamin Mercey, presumably after the brother who was cut out of the will. In the meantime they have several other children baptised under the name of Masey

The evolution of the Macey name is quite interesting as it follows a pattern with the changes in presiding clerics or parish clerks. Joseph Dison Meecey marries in Deal under that name, but most of his children are baptised in Walmer under the name of Mercer. (Not all: but the clerics in Walmer seem to change quite frequently). This would have been around the time that Thomas Dadd was making his will, so I am making an assumption that the clerks doing the writing for him would have picked up on that form. By the time of the 1841 census the pattern is more fixed: family members living in Deal are known as Macey, and those in Walmer as Mercer.

As a by the way, I think the James Dadd referred to in one of the posts above is actually Thomas Dadd's brother, rather than his father. This makes the beneficiaries cited in Thomas' will as his 'cousins' his nephews, but I think this may just be an older usage of the term cousin.

I am, however, still struggling to pin down a precise birth for John Meecey. I am gradually eliminating people from the surrounding parishes with variants of the name. It is a long haul, and I still keep coming back to the Maceys of Wye.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Betty Macey

Offline jahnus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 March 17 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello

My name is Janus Mercey and im from rotterdam Holland,I have tried to search my family roots something my father started in the 80's and as he I got no further then Deal,it is about Joseph Dison Mercey(born around 1785)married to Ann May (born around 1781) and reading your post actually gives me hope for the first time to actually find something  :) ,
They started a family in Rotterdam holland and well here we are as far as I know all Mercey and Merceij family's in holland and are related to those two people,it's very cool to maybe find something more then the place they came from  :).

Greetings Janus Mercey

Online AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 March 17 15:35 GMT (UK) »
You may all have this information - if you have it will confirm what you have. It is from the Church Records of Deal and Walmer.

12/7/1783 John MEECEY married Sara BING at St Leonard's Deal. Witnesses were James SOUTAR and Mary ALLEN. Neither of the married couple are recorded as being baptised in Deal.

They had three children baptised at St George's, a Chapel of Ease for St Leonard's.
12/3/1785 Joseph Dison MEECEY
 7/12/1787 Elizabeth Dixon MEESEY
 2/1/1791 Sarah MEECEY

Of the above Joseph Dison MEECEY married Ann MAY on 8/6/1807 at St Mary's, Walmer. Witnesses were Charles RAYNER and Mary RAYNER.
On 15/10/1808 Elizabeth Dison MEECEY married William COCK. Witnesses: Benjamin BURDRIDGE and Sara MEECEY.

Joseph and Ann above lived at Walmer Road (now the Strand) in Walmer. He was a labourer. Their children were:
11/3/1808 John Monkes MERCER Baptised at St George's. The rest were all baptised at St Mary's
23/2/1812 (26/1/1812) Sarah Ann MERCER
23/7/1815 (30/6/1815) Mary MERCER
23/2/1817 (330/1/1817) Eliza MERCER
 6/12/1818 (13/11/1818) Joseph MERCER
18/3/1821 (20/2/1821) Ann MERCER
The four year gap between John and Sarah suggests children baptised in a different parish or Joseph was away.

Possible contender for a husband for Sara MEECEY might be Valentine SPAIN, a Schoolmaster of Finglesham, a village just outside Deal. They married in 1810 and their children were all baptised in Northbourne, also near Deal.
31/3/1818 Sarah Anne SPAIN
 8/10/1820 Edmund SPAIN
 1/6/1823 Charlotte Judith SPAIN
18/5/1826 William Valentine SPAIN

Hope this is of help to somebody.

Kind regards

AJ

Offline jahnus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 March 17 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for that information that really helped me,I pretty sure that this is the missing link  :) in happy to search on from here and see how far I can go.

Online AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 March 17 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Have checked records and realised my silly mistake. The Rev Backhouses's account is, of course, accurate and I also have John being baptised on 17/7/1808. My mistake was getting the wrong parents for the other John baptised 11/3/1808 which were John & Sara.
apologies for the error.
Useful piece of corroboration having that confirmation from the Rector.

Regards

AJ

Offline mcmacey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Janus

I am pleased to hear from you. I have amassed quite a lot of information about John and Sarah (Bing) Meecey and their descendants. I cannot read the second document in the image you posted - please could you tell me what that says.

AJ, I have additional children for John and Sarah.

Marey MASEY 3 Feb 1793

John MASEY 20 July 1794

Thomas MASEY 8 May 1796

Robert MASEY 30 June 1799

Benjamin MERCEY 14 Mar 1802.

As a matter of interest, Mary ALLEN who was a witness to John and Sarah's marriage later married Sarah's brother Joseph. Sarah's younger brother was named Benjamin BING (hence the name of their last child I suppose).

Regarding Joseph Dison MEECY as it appears on his baptismal record and his wife Ann May, I also have further children for them.

John MEECEY 17 July 1808 (Deal St Leonards by Rev J B Backhouse)

Elizabeth Dierson MACEY 21 Nov 1813 (Walmer St Mary's by Tho George Clare curate)

Rebecca MACER 19 May 1822 (Walmer St Mary's by Ch Fielding Curate. she was buried at Deal St Leonards on 21 Oct 1822)

Rebecca MACEY 22 June 1823 (Walmer St Mary's by Adam Harry Officiating Minister).

I don't believe John Monkes Mercer baptised 11/3/1808 is directly connected to the Macey line. Could he be the same as John Noakes Mercer son of John Mercer and Sarah Blissenden? So I agree John MEECEY son of John and Ann would be Janus's ancestor. His sister Rebecca MACEY is also my direct ancestor.

Thanks for the info about the SPAIN marriage; I will have a look at that.

Regards

Betty Macey