Author Topic: KERR family  (Read 9285 times)

Offline Julie in Ohio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: KERR family
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Would you kindly state where in California your Kerrs settled.  This could be helpful.

Yes, of course. Alexander Kerr was the only member of his immediate family to go to California. He met and married Mary Collins there, and they settled in Pajaro, Monterey County, just across the Pajaro River from Watsonville, Santa Cruz County. They had four daughters. As far as I know he was not related to any other Kerrs in California. He arrived in California before 1860, apparently on his own, and died in Pajaro in 1882.

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  The reason I was asking was that I have some Kinkeads of Ballykelly that married Kerrs and moved to California.  James Kinkead marred Mary Kerr on 23 June 1870 and settled in Nevada City.  His wife's sister, Sarah Kerr, was with him in the 1900 census.

Do your Kerrs have any connections to Davidson or Rutherford County, Tennessee?

I am not sure if you are aware of this, but one of the ministers of Ballykelly Presbyterian Church was John Haslett (1752-1757).  He married a Miss Stirling of Walworth who was believe to have been the daughter of the previous minister, Rev. John Stirling.
Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

Offline Julie in Ohio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  The reason I was asking was that I have some Kinkeads of Ballykelly that married Kerrs and moved to California.  James Kinkead marred Mary Kerr on 23 June 1870 and settled in Nevada City.  His wife's sister, Sarah Kerr, was with him in the 1900 census.

It was worth asking, but I don't see an obvious connection.

Do your Kerrs have any connections to Davidson or Rutherford County, Tennessee?

No. Alexander's relatives settled in Barry, Pike County, Illinois. From there one brother and family moved to Missouri ( basically across the river) and his children went to Nebraska, Canada, and Chicago.
I am not sure if you are aware of this, but one of the ministers of Ballykelly Presbyterian Church was John Haslett (1752-1757).  He married a Miss Stirling of Walworth who was believe to have been the daughter of the previous minister, Rev. John Stirling.

I just last night came across this. It was a reminder to me to always be aware of spelling variants. But I am glad you brought it to my attention again. Although Alexander Kerr and his cousin Samuel Hazlett were born in Newtown Limavady (1840/42 and 1803) it seems reasonable to look for connections further back in Ballykelly.

Thank you.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   The Rev. John Haslett of Ballykelly was born in an area known as Straw in the Parish of Bovevagh. His first wife died in childbirth and he seems to have lost his faith and emigrated to America where he fought in the American war of independence. See:- http://www.benbradagh.com/page%207.html
    I have quite a lot of information on the Hasletts of Bovevagh but I cannot find a connection to your Samuel.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline James Canning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 March 17 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Several members of the Kerr family are buried at Aghadowey Churchyard, County Londonderry.  Perhaps they connect?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 March 17 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Several members of the Kerr family are buried at Aghadowey Churchyard, County Londonderry.  Perhaps they connect?

No connection to the Kerrs on this thread.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!