Author Topic: A dead end in Carlow? [Fitzgerald]  (Read 14049 times)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A dead end in Carlow? [Fitzgerald]
« on: Saturday 16 February 13 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

After a little break I decided to get back on to tracking down my ancestors in County Carlow.
I managed to obtain the birth certificate of my Great Grandmother Anne Fitzgerald b 8th January 1867  in Carlow Workhouse to mother Bridget Fitzgerald, no father on the certificate.
I have read a bit about the workhouse, which is no longer in existence and it seems that the nuns got rid of most of the records into the foundations of other buildings.
Is there any chance to find something about Bridget Fitzgerald or is this likely to be a dead end?

Regards
Sean

Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A dead end in Carlow? [Fitzgerald]
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 April 14 16:20 BST (UK) »
Opinions please,

The birth certificate of Anne Fitzgerald states she was born in the Carlow Workhouse in 1867 mother Bridget Fitzgerald.

Now I am not sure about this Anne being the one I want and I ordered the following death certificate.

Anne Fitzgerald daughter of a servant died in the Fever Hospital in Carlow age 3 in 1870.

The fever hospital looks as though it was attached to the lunatic asylum in Carlow.

Is it a fairly good assumption that the two are the same person?

All ideas welcome.
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 April 14 20:17 BST (UK) »
With Anne Fitgerald being your greatgrandmother one presumes she got married at some stage and therefore you should have a marriage cert for her,does it not name a parent on there most likely the father as with most marriage certs or are you just looking for her birth based on her age at death which most likely would only be estimated as people did not really have a need for certs in those days.

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 April 14 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

After a little break I decided to get back on to tracking down my ancestors in County Carlow.
I managed to obtain the birth certificate of my Great Grandmother Anne Fitzgerald b 8th January 1867  in Carlow Workhouse to mother Bridget Fitzgerald, no father on the certificate.
I have read a bit about the workhouse, which is no longer in existence and it seems that the nuns got rid of most of the records into the foundations of other buildings.
Is there any chance to find something about Bridget Fitzgerald or is this likely to be a dead end?

Regards
Sean

Nuns should have absolutely nothing to do with workhouse records. Where did you get this information from?

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 April 14 23:30 BST (UK) »
Nuns should have absolutely nothing to do with workhouse records. Where did you get this information from?

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/IRL-CARLOW/2009-05/1243090257

With Anne Fitgerald being your greatgrandmother one presumes she got married at some stage and therefore you should have a marriage cert for her,does it not name a parent on there most likely the father as with most marriage certs or are you just looking for her birth based on her age at death which most likely would only be estimated as people did not really have a need for certs in those days.

The marriage cert states that George Fitzgerald was her father. However, I have at least two ancestors that have lied about their father on a marriage cert as they did not want to be known as without one. Hence the inquiry into Anne born in the workhouse and her possible death nearby. I am really looking to exclude her from further inquiries.

Sean

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 April 14 07:13 BST (UK) »
Interesting link, if correct. Responsibility for this material should have been with the county council and not the nuns.

I don't understand what you're saying about these birth and death certs. Are you sure that the 1867 birth is your great-grandmother?

The workhouse master would have been responsible for registering births of children born in the workhouse. He could only inform the Registrar of what the mother told him. If she didn't name the father, there wouldn't be anything in workhouse records either. Have you found a baptism record?

There is really no way to tie together a birth and death cert definitively.

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 April 14 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Sonas,

From the 1901 and 1911 census the birth of Anne Fitzgerald in 1867 to Bridget in the workhouse seemed the likeliest. However, then I noticed this death 3 years later and ordered the cert with the details as I have mentioned. I was hoping to either discount the 1867 birth or find out it was the correct one using the information on the death cert but as there is no name of the mother on there it is a little problematic. As you say there is no definitive way of tying the two records together and baptismal/burial records are very difficult to find in County Carlow without spending some time over there.
I have started to order all the other birth certs around 1867 for Anne Fitzgerald so maybe I will get lucky with one of those.

Regards
Sean

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 April 14 10:37 BST (UK) »
Family Search births 1620 to 1881 has an Anne Fitzgerald born in Tobercurry,Sligo 12 April 1864 to George Fitzgerald and Bridget Hunt also some siblings.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 April 14 11:03 BST (UK) »
1901 Census 41 Bellahy Town,Sligo
Bridget Fitzgerald age 65 a widow living alone.
1911 Census 10 Bellahy Town,Sligo
Bridget Fitzgerald age 72 widow married 51 yrs 5 born 2 alive
Dtr Ellie Fitzgerald age 41 not married
There was a Ellen Fitzgerald born 1866 to George and Bridget so might be same family.