Author Topic: William Rickard b1821 Bucks  (Read 6025 times)

Offline c_rickard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Rickard b1821 Bucks
« on: Sunday 17 February 13 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me who the parents of William Rickard b 1821 =/- 1 Year in Bucks were.

Around 1841 he was sentenced to 7years and transported to Tasmania:
William Rickard, one of 280 convicts transported on the Eden, 12 March 1842.
Details: Sentence details: Convicted at Bucks. Assizes for a term of 7 years.
Vessel: Eden.
Date of Departure: 12 March 1842.
Place of Arrival: Van Diemen's Land.

What was the offence committed?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Chuck :)

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: William Rickard b1821 Bucks
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 February 13 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

England and Wales Criminal Register 1891-1892
Buckinghamshire England

William Rickard aged 19 at the County Assizes 7th March 1840 convicted of Larceny sentenced to 7 years.

UK Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books 1802 - 1849
Register of "Warrior" 1837 - 1845

# 206 William Rickard aged 19 Convicted of Stealing Iron at Aylesbury 7th March 1840. Single. Can read and write. Occupation = Gardener. Been convicted once and in custody three times before. Character bad and Connextions respectable. To be sent to V.D.L. aboard the "Eden" 7th March 1842

Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 February 13 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Chuck

What do you know about William RICKARD in Australia?? Did he marry and have children?? Do you have any details about his death??  You might find a clue as to his parentage from this information. 

According to the NSW and Tasmania Convict Musters.... William RICKARD from Bucks aged 18yrs who arrived on the "Eden" 1842.. absconded Oct 1845.

The Cornwall Chronicle Launceston Tas Saturday 28th Oct 1848... Certificate of Freedom Granted to William RICKARD per "Eden 2 ".

Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c_rickard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 February 13 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karenlee,
Thanks for your help, this is some of the information I have now uncovered.

I have 3 William Rickard's born in 1821, My problem is not sure who the parents were
 of the William transported to Tasmania in 1842.

Rickard #1 - Parents Joseph b ~1785 Wife Fanny b ~1786, Siblings Maryb b. ~ 1816, John b. ~ 1826

Rickard #2 - Parents Robert  b. 2 Apr 1769 wife Keziah b. 2 Jan 1781, siblings total 15

Rickard #3 - ParentsJonathan b. 17 Apr 1795 wife Rhna/Rebeca b ~1791, siblings  Jonathan N. b. 1829, Benjamin b. ~ 1832, William Henry b. ~ 1834 

I am pretty certain that parent #2 is not in the mix as I have Census showing William living in England in future decades, married to Esther Baldwin. This leaves parents #1 and #3.

Details of his trial are contained in "The Bucks Herald" in the issue dated 14 Mar 1840. It indicates
 he had an aunt Eliza Rickard, of Alyesbury.

The conduct register for William indicates his age in 1942 was 19, but not his birth date.

The William transported to Australia married Mary Ann Read by 1850 in Hobart,Tasmania. They had two children William b. 1850 and Mary Ann b. 1852 both in Hobart. Do not known when they died, or if the children married. Did they all stay in Tasmania or did they immigrate to somewhere?

Thanks,
Chuck

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 February 13 10:04 GMT (UK) »
You could always ask the BucksFHS to do a search of their baptism database of Buckinghamshire.

http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=17&Itemid=199

Then at least you'll have an area of Bucks to look at further.

I had a look in my BucksFHS - St.Mary's, Aylesbury PR transcripts CD.

Baptism - 3 May 1826. William, child of Thomas & Charlotte RICKARD of Aylesbury, Labourer, private baptism, received into Church.

Marriage - 26 Feb 1822.  by Banns.  Thomas RICKARD, Bachelor otp to  Charlotte(x)HOWES, Spinster otp.   Witnesses Fanny(x)Stevens & John(x)Miller.

As you know, baptisms are not dates of birth. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If his occupation was a Gardener, as mentioned, the William Rickard born to Joseph & Fanny, was a Bricklayer, of Whitchurch, Bucks. (According to 1841 census).  He also appears to be still in Whitchurch in later census.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, being convicted @ The Bucks Assizes, didn't mean he was from Buckinghamshire, but being convicted once before, and in custody 3 times, it indicates he was a local rogue. ;)

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline c_rickard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Steve,
Your information enabled me to sort a couple of errors I had in my tree. The Joseph and Fanny's William was born 1819. I was able to trace their William to 1911.

I have finally broken down and ordered my first CD from Bucks FHS.

Chuck :)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 12:19 GMT (UK) »
You also have a battle with the name variation of Richard/Richards.  I've had similar problems with variations in my tree.

Your first disc from BucksFHS......how have you held out do long. :D      Just as cheap as one English cert, and well worth the money. ;)

I have nearly 50 Bucks discs, and they have saved me heaps on certs.

Good luck, and good hunting. ;)

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline c_rickard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 20:20 GMT (UK) »
 :D Hi Steve,
Must be my Scots bloods in me.
Never saw the need for the Cd's, Have over 10,000 names in my tree now, thanks to many friends and cousins I have uncovered these past few Years.

As I have said before I am trying to uncover all the Descendants of William Rickard b~1850 and my wife's descendants from Newfoundland 1753.

I would love to come over there and do research, but you never know, one can always dream.

Regards,
Chuck ;D

Offline chris_hankin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hello, with regard to

"The William transported to Australia married Mary Ann Read by 1850 in Hobart,Tasmania. They had two children William b. 1850 and Mary Ann b. 1852 both in Hobart. Do not known when they died, or if the children married. Did they all stay in Tasmania or did they immigrate to somewhere?"

I am a descendent of Mary Ann Rickard, let me know if you are still searching for information.  I would like to know more about William's first wife in Tasmania, Mary Reid (m 1849).

Cheers