Author Topic: "Privilege Leave" Highland Light Infantry.  (Read 2858 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
"Privilege Leave" Highland Light Infantry.
« on: Sunday 17 February 13 06:16 GMT (UK) »
My father served in WW2 with the HLI, and we have his service and day book.  My parents married in September 1940, and thereafter, his records show that between March 1941 and September 1945, he had 8 periods of "Privilege leave".  Can anyone tell me what this signified?  My current day interpretation would say "privilege" = special circumstances? e.g. for the birth of their first child? or similar... but none of the dates coincide with this, or any other "event". They are March '41, October '41, September '42, June '43, September '43, December '43, March '44, September 45.  Now that I list them, it strikes me that they are about the same times of year.  So, was it just "regular" leave for want of a better word?  Why call it "privilege leave"?? Any ideas anyone?
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: "Privilege Leave" Highland Light Infantry.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 February 13 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Privilege leave is just normal leave.Served enough time to accrue some time off.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 February 13 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Oh thanks for that Lilybell,

I should have taken it for granted eh?  I suppose the military "powers that be" figure that soldiers are "privileged" to get any leave at all !!!  Must say I would have never fitted into the military lifestyle - too outspoken lolol. 

I just thought of another question, - these various "leaves" I have found don't specify where the soldier was located at the time - As they are spread out over the war years, would it mean that some of them would have been leave taken "overseas" - or would they have been "home" leave?  I suppose I should try to get a time frame history of the HLI and find out where they were, at various times?
Cheers
Maggs
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 February 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I have seen something called a warrent leave . Do not exactly know what that means perhaps someone with military knowledge could explain.I would think that most leave would be home or local leave. If the war was still on the leave could be cancelled without notice.Leave could also be granted to get married or perhaps for medical reasons or as I previously stated the soldier could have accrued enough time to warrant leave.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland