Author Topic: George DUNK lookups please  (Read 6358 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George DUNK lookups please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 February 13 15:16 GMT (UK) »
As Nanny J says, locating a church where two people married in Hastings in could be problematic (see Wikipedia: List of places of worship in Hastings.)  Given that it is also presumed they were both reasonably mature and at least one had been widowed, the Registry Office seems more likely.  Even if successful, you may find that rather than revealing the ages of these two adults and their fathers, a certificate may still side step the issue by just saying, "full age, father deceased." 

Other than getting a copy of the certificate anyway through normal channels, perhaps you could ask the cemetery for more details, like if there are two buried in the same plot and if so, who is the other occupier and when did they arrive.  Alternatively, you could try asking Hastings library to do a quick look up for the couple in a pre-war street directory, on an electoral role or an obituary in a local newspaper.   
Roy G

Offline eborfamilyhistory

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 February 13 11:31 GMT (UK) »
As Nanny J says, locating a church where two people married in Hastings in could be problematic (see Wikipedia: List of places of worship in Hastings.)  Given that it is also presumed they were both reasonably mature and at least one had been widowed, the Registry Office seems more likely.  Even if successful, you may find that rather than revealing the ages of these two adults and their fathers, a certificate may still side step the issue by just saying, "full age, father deceased." 

Other than getting a copy of the certificate anyway through normal channels, perhaps you could ask the cemetery for more details, like if there are two buried in the same plot and if so, who is the other occupier and when did they arrive.  Alternatively, you could try asking Hastings library to do a quick look up for the couple in a pre-war street directory, on an electoral role or an obituary in a local newspaper.   
Roy G

Hi Roy,

I'm trying to ascertain if it is the correct George Dunk so the marriage details are the thing I need, the burial details would be a bonus but only if it is the right George Dunk.

I'm going to order the cert I think.

Thanks
Paul

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 February 13 13:34 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate how confusing it is for you, for 45 George Dunks were born 1865-1900, 16 of them in Sussex, with 8 in the Hastings area.  Furthermore the 1911 census has 3 George Dunks in Hastings of an age that could also be him.  Unfortunately, you have not yet revealed a possible year of birth or birthplace for your George Dunk, and whether he too had been married before, which leaves us clutching at straws as well. 

In order to try to help us help you further, could you initially confirm that the 68 year old who died in 1942 (therefore born Hastings c1874) was yours, for there was another George Dunk born in Hastings in 1865 whose age at least would make him more suited to be the husband of the widow Sarah Hilder nee Hyland who was born in Hastings 1864.   

NB  The 1911 census index includes the one from 1865 and another George ALFRED Dunk born 1877.  The George Dunk from 1874 is not listed on that census.     Roy G

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 February 13 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate how confusing it is for you, for 45 George Dunks were born 1865-1900, 16 of them in Sussex, with 8 in the Hastings area.  Furthermore the 1911 census has 3 George Dunks in Hastings of an age that could also be him.  Unfortunately, you have not yet revealed a possible year of birth or birthplace for your George Dunk, and whether he too had been married before, which leaves us clutching at straws as well. 

In order to try to help us help you further, could you initially confirm that the 68 year old who died in 1942 (therefore born Hastings c1874) was yours, for there was another George Dunk born in Hastings in 1865 whose age at least would make him more suited to be the husband of the widow Sarah Hilder nee Hyland who was born in Hastings 1864.   

NB  The 1911 census index includes the one from 1865 and another George ALFRED Dunk born 1877.  The George Dunk from 1874 is not listed on that census.     Roy G

Hi Roy,

I'm not confused at all, however there are a number of George Dunk's in the area.

I have researched a George Dunk born in Hastings (St Leonards actually) in the September quarter of 1864. I have him on every census and I think he died in 1921. I've been told he married in 1920 but I have my doubts (the same person gave me the burial date) which is why I need the information from the marriage record to either confirm or deny this.

Thanks
Paul

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 February 13 15:43 GMT (UK) »
OK: It wasn't confusing to you because you had the dates, but until you revealed them, it was certainly confusing to me. 

FreeBMD states the George who died in 1921 was 57, which gives him a birth year of circa 1864, which certainly fits the birth year you have now revealed.  Furthermore, there were no other George Dunk deaths in the Hastings area whose ages at their deaths also gave a birth year close to 1864.
The George born c1864 was also a porter (confirmed on the 1881 census). 
The George born c1864 seems to remain single on all the census indexes.
I gather you suspect he never married which would make the 1942 burial and 1920 marriage certificates two expensive red herrings.  Hence your reluctance to go down that road.

I would agree with you, so suggest rather than buy a copy of either cert, you initially try to locate the 1921 burial/cremation, perhaps from the very cemetery you got the 1942 reference from.  Hopefully you will be successful and may wish to then buy a copy of the 1921 death cert (ref Hastings December quarter 2b 38) to note the informant.  From that you may find a will or probate, giving an alternative angle to explore.   Roy G

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 February 13 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Roy, I just want the marriage details, that's it.

Offline Jenny Bedwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul
Sarah Hilder (nee Hyland is my grt great aunt her father was Frederick Hyland born 1830 Hastings, died 21st April 1891, as for George dunk i only have there marriage details 5th April 1852 st clements church hastings.
hope this helps

Offline Dave6330

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 20:16 BST (UK) »
George Edward Dunk, Born 19 Sep 1894, died 21 May 1962.  Married Elsie Gertrude Holland.  He would have been my great uncle, I suppose.  Brother to my paternal Grandmother, Nellie May Allen (Dunk).