Author Topic: Blunt and Cartwright Family  (Read 19371 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blunt and Cartwright Family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 May 13 05:03 BST (UK) »
and you can chase this down for the proper information...May have missed a generation as some terms are ambiguous
Alured DeWaller 1094 - 1183....Henry Waller, John Waller,  Richard Waller,  J Waller, William waller, Sir Willaim Waller , daughter Anne Waller married 1st John Allen. ( later a Wathen)
Daughter Mary Allen  married Josiah Phipps, Walthamstow, Essex, whose daughter married Thomas Blunt of Chelsea

That was from the obituary of a Wathen Waller

However the details differ a little here... http://books.google.ca/books?id=Nw4wAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA853#v=onepage&q=de%20waller&f=false

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Wathen-Waller
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 May 13 19:44 BST (UK) »
Henry Blunt died at his home in Shrewsbury Sept 26 or 28-1853

Realized I didn't link to Henry Blunt's thread...http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=91489.10  where Shropshire Lass was a giant help as always...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 May 13 22:05 BST (UK) »
CHILDREN of Henry and Martha,
Martha 1837 - 1838, / Henry Dec 4, 1839 - 1840 / Emily Feb.5 1843 - 1915
Agnes Mar.18,1845 - 1941/ Ellen Martha 1847-1931 / Henry Feb. 22 1848 - / Annie 1852 - 1887  The sisters were never married.

Some descendants of Henry jr. are listed on the poster's web page here
http://www.family.tree.freeuk.com/indiI284.html

Could be the death of Henry jr.   http://www.freebmd.org.uk
March quarter / Bedford District 1940 / Blunt, Henry age 91 / vol.3b p.1037

I imagine this could be the death of Charity 
Sept quarter 1949 Blunt Charity age 62 in Bedford District  vol.4a  p.56

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 06:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry to reply to a message already a couple of years old. I am interested in the comments about Mary Marhlam being listed as the mother of Anna Phipps and Martha Blunt. I can't see that on the baptism records that I am looking at.

I do believe that it's true, however, and I think I can answer the question raised further on about whether Mary Phipps and Mary Marlham were the same person.

Thomas and Mary's marriage record (23 April 1803, St George the Martyr, Southwark) shows "Thomas Blunt of this parish a batchelor [sic] and Mary Marlham of the parish of St Mary Newington in the County of Surrey a widow'. One of the witnesses was J Wathen Phipps, presumably Mary's brother who later became Sir Jonathan Wathan Waller.

I can't find anything about Mr Marlham or Mary's marriage to him or for that matter the details of Mary's death.

I have quite a bit more information on this family, but also many outstanding questions, so I would be interested in contacting others looking into it.

Best wishes

Alan Watson

Here is her and Martha's baptism

Anna Phipps Blunt~ bn. 31 Mar 1806, Bap. 11 May 1806, Colliers Rents Whitestreet-independent Southwark
Martha Blunt bn. 04 Feb 1812, bap. 04 Mar 1812. Colliers Rents Whitestreet-independent Southwark

Parents: Thomas Blunt and Mary (Marlham), who married: 16 April 1803 St. George,Southwark.

claire

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 15:55 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'd pointed out in the reply with the obituary link above that she was named Phipps, sister to Phipps/Waller, etc. and Claire had found the marriage although she didn't add the details...thanks for adding that she was indeed a widow.

I did find this  :D ...Using the less-is-more search method. ...Oddly these are all marked that there is a ( BLANK) for spouse's names...Batch# I03553-8  ( I did look for Marlham in case the pages had merely shifted))

This is not correct Mary, as Claire has pointed out in reply #15
Mary Phipps mentioned in the record of UNKNOWN and Mary Phipps
married  February 27, 1799  Hackney, Middlesex, England
So husband Marlham's death "might" be found between 1799 and 1803

If anyone finds more on this please post. There are a few descendants who are interested, but I think the cousins thing has turned them off.  They need to know this is not unusual, it happened back in those days...

I had trouble finding info for my ancestor as well....and other Blunts, also chemists, were making me crazy. A kind distant rellie pointed me in the right direction.... Thomas mentioned was brother to my Robert, who was father to Henry Blunt who married Martha Blunt ( mother Phipps)....  the others were from a first marriage of Robert...

I haven't easy access to any information other than online so have been happy to have received help here on Rootschat as well... although I haven't been doing much more lately...

Which family were you looking for? If you need any Blunt info I have not a lot on this Thomas ... If it is unrelated to this thread...please start a new one  :D
all the best, J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 16:17 BST (UK) »
Wow, I did a FHSsearch of just marriages for Hackney 1799 and the results 512...half that number would be 256 unknown spouses... ?? Bit of a nightmare for those hunting

re: marriage as Marlham, Claire had April 16, perhaps banns, you gave us April 23,( Of course I know you have the actual info as you had details) and FHS says Apr. 25  ::)   https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NK9B-SM6

The FHS shows few early Marlham....A Thomas shows up in St Clement Danes Parish : Minutes of Parish Vestries 1763...then christenings of a George & a Thomas Marlham in the 1760s St .Clement Danes, Middlesex ( a George later a father in a christening, 1788 Lambeth Surrey)
also an Arthur Marlham or Marlam Gentleman of Bushey , Hertfordshire Will proven 28 February 1776 ( FHS has an Arthur married 1746 Westminster London)
A rare name...Probably badly spelled then or now.... 8 are listed with the Marlham spelling on the FreeBMD... very few as Marlam, Marlem. etc.
Tax Assessment  Westminster, Middlesex
Thos Marlam  1754  1764   Vere Street
Anthony Marlam ( Marlham ) 1752  1755 Mount Street 
Arthur Marlham 1755 1758 Mount Street ....   in 1769 Green Street
and just for fun I must add this name 
Catherine Merlwham  1841 Address: Wych Alley

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think you can rule out the marriage in 1799

SAMUEL BLACKTOP bach. married Mary Phipps spins.  27 Feb 1799 ST John Hackney
Both signed
Witnesses: Peter Mason and Wm. ?lock.

Thomas Blunt and Mary married 25 April 1803 by licence.

I've looked back at this marriage and Anc* transcribe her surname as MARTHAM and MADLHAM, but having looked at her signature I'm wondering if it could be MARCHAM, it does look like that

claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hello, Claire...Thanks a million...Item corrected ( crossed out) ....Weird that they have been transcribed in such a manner, then? I know some items can be incorrect on the FHS site, but a whole batch of marriages seems odd....

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 October 15 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

Edited my post: Mary's surname at her second marriage looks to me like MARCHAM

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France