Author Topic: Murlough Lower--Dundrum BMD Records  (Read 8421 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Murlough Lower--Dundrum BMD Records
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 November 14 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Samuel Clarke in 1901 census?

Added- previous topic-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=581413
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my favourite jumper about 1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 November 14 05:33 GMT (UK) »
No, I cannot find him on the 1901 census of Ireland.....there is a rumour in the family that he came to Scotland, looking for his two sons, when this was we don't know, but returned to Ireland without them, never to be seen again ........Del.
Clarke , Calvert , McCreadie,
 McDowell, Paton & Scott families,  Scotland
& Ireland, Ayto/Hayto/Eato/Eatough families, Lincolnshire.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 December 14 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Presumably you have something that suggested Dundrum area after release from prison in 1900 as if he returned there visiting family? So I looked around

Two entries in the 1911 census, suggested more thought
1     Property number 2 in Murlough Lower (Dundrum, Down), a Samuel Clarke grandson to the Quinn family is living with them, the head of the family isn’t listed I think. Where had this Samuel Clarke aged 14 come from? His age in 1901 would have ~4.   He should appear in the irish 1901 census.
2.     Property number 2 in Ballybannon (Dundrum, Down)  William Clarke b Belfast has moved here, with his Armagh born wife Elizabeth from This family appeared in 1911 census with his three year old daughter. They have lost 3 children in their marriage and were living in Belfast where the surviving child was born. They have been married 6 years so the marriage is about ~1905.  Could this William Clarke have a been a relative eg a brother or older son aged 17 in 1901.  He should appear in the irish 1901 census.

Do you know who your Samuel married or lived with as a partner?  Where would he buried? If he was a catholic , he might have had a funeral service in Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Dundrum Parochial House 33 Main St, Dundrum BT33 0LU which has no graveyard; burials in St. Joseph's Ballykinler or Aughlisnafin; UHF has baptisms 1854-1900 & marriages 1855-1900,
or he might have records in Immaculate Conception of Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church in Aughlisnafin townland which has a Graveyard attached, graveyard inscriptions UHF Vol 9; email me Ros Davies for a gravestone look-up all this church information from her website http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies

Also from her Ros Davies surname list abstracted for Kilmegan civil parish and not for commercial use. I don’t know the townlands so its useful to have. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/MAPS/KilmeganTownlands.htm  The parish is about six miles wide at most.  In her surname list she has at least eight Clark/Clarke in Kilmegan

Looking again at http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/ around 1859 were homesteads
Clarke Ellen Ballygawley Aghadowey Derry
Clarke James Bovagh Aghadowey Derry
Clarke John Cornamuclagh Aghadowey Derry
Clarke John Cullyramer Aghadowey Derry
Clarke Sarah Cullycapple Aghadowey Derry
Clarke William Gortin Mayoghill Aghadowey Derry

Hoping you can see a way forward
JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 December 14 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Looking again at http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/ around 1859 were homesteads
Clarke Ellen Ballygawley Aghadowey Derry
Clarke James Bovagh Aghadowey Derry
Clarke John Cornamuclagh Aghadowey Derry
Clarke John Cullyramer Aghadowey Derry
Clarke Sarah Cullycapple Aghadowey Derry
Clarke William Gortin Mayoghill Aghadowey Derry

Samuel Clarke was born in Co. Down so why the Aghadowey Parish entries  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 December 14 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Apologies he was using your name not the place, i did wonder at the time was it my mild dyslexia.
worldwide

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 03:19 GMT (UK) »
The Samuel Clarke staying with the Quinn family, in 1911, is, I think Samuel Allan Clarke, born in 1897 at Dundrum, son of the elusive Samuel and wife Susannah, also staying with them is Anne McDowell, transcribed as McDowdall, who was Samuel Allan's grandmother, in 1901 the young Samuel Allan Clarke is with his mother Susannah in Ardrossan  Scotland. There is no hard evidence  that Samuel married again, or that he had another family......the rumour in the family is that he lived in the Dundrum area, and worked on the land......he is proving very difficult to find.

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Of course, it may be just that, a rumour, and there is no truth to it at all, and is throwing us of the trail.......at the risk of repeating myself, the guy had to have gone somewhere, and had to have died somewhere.......but where ?

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Do you know who your Samuel married or lived with as a partner?  Where would he buried? If he was a catholic , he might have had a funeral service in Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Dundrum Parochial House 33 Main St, Dundrum BT33 0LU which has no graveyard; burials in St. Joseph's Ballykinler or Aughlisnafin; UHF has baptisms 1854-1900 & marriages 1855-1900,
or he might have records in Immaculate Conception of Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church in Aughlisnafin townland which has a Graveyard attached, graveyard inscriptions UHF Vol 9; email me Ros Davies for a gravestone look-up all this church information from her website http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies

Del 80, I am waiting to learn that have you have you been in contact with the three chapels listed at i.e. Dundrum, Aughlisnafin and Ballykinler asking them do the burial records 1900-1910 exist.  and if not at least contacted Ros Davies as offered by her for looking up UHF Vol 9 for FREE.
worldwide

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I did contact Ros Davies, quite some time ago, but she was on holiday, in New Zealand, I think.......I shall contact her again.....it is time this chap was found........Del.