Author Topic: McKiggan in South Uist?  (Read 18549 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: McKiggan in South Uist?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 February 13 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Lisa,

John MacKiggan was a Shepherd on Glendale Farm and he moved to Bruthairnis Farm, Barra (Bruernish) in 1870's but I'm not sure how long he was on that farm as the census doesn't specify farm in 1881 so they may not have been on a farm in 1881?

Anne Marie.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline lisagarnham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 February 13 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne Marie, I think you're right.  The transcription I have for the 1881 entry states address as 'Island of Helisa'.  Helisay is a tiny little place and was probably just used for grazing.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was just him, his family and the grazing sheep living there!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 February 13 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Lisa, 1901 - one of John's brother's & fam. The MacKay girl is the daughter of John's niece Kirsty who married James MacKay.

Regards,

Anne Marie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 25 February 13 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Not exactly sure what your 1881 census has as you have noticed a few of us have had different info. on same year??

Here is my latest find:

1881 – Barra

Eoligary – Alexander MacCuish Servant U 16 Cattle Herd S/U (b) – seems to be a farm as there’s a note (3000 acres) & 22 workers/residents. He may be a relation but the name Alexander doesn’t seem to be a lineage name for now? There is a Martin MacIntyre 27 from Glasgow learning farming, with you mentioning Lanarkshire area it may be a connection but the forename Martin is somewhat rare in those days! I noted this as I see below that there is a MacIntyre connection.

ISLAND OF HELISA                  

John   Mackeggan   Head   M   46   Shepherd   South Uist
   Catherine   Mackeggan   Wife   M   30      Dunvegan, Skye
   Mary   Mackeggan   Dau         13   Scholar   South Uist
   Ann   Mackeggan   Dau         7   Scholar   Barra
   Jessie   Mackeggan   Dau         5   Scholar   Barra
   Finlay   Mackeggan   Son      2         Barra
   Christina   Campbell   M in L   U      60      Dunvegan, Skye
   John   Macintyre   Nephew      14      Scholar   South Uist

Now another hitch as the Mum-in-law is Campbell but Catherine was Beaton – a 2nd marriage for either but who?

Think I have found John MacIntyre (nephew) connection. He seems to be the son of John’s sis Kirsty who wed Malcolm MacIntyre.

I only wish I could find as much on my own family but I love doing this and find it so interesting.

Regards, Anne Marie.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 25 February 13 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Lisa,
Sorry, was interrupted and forgot to say that either Catherine was illegitimate or the U has been transcribed wrongly instead of W?

A M

Offline lisagarnham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 25 February 13 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne Marie,

Not sure who the Alexander MacCuish is - Mary McKiggen's husband Archibald MacCuish had a brother, an uncle and a grandfather named Alexander, so I expect the connection is there.  Could be his brother, I suppose.  I haven't quite gotten round to looking all the way through that side of the tree, so I can't say offhand.

The Glasgow connection is through Mary McKiggan's daughter, Mary Ann MacCuish.  She ran off to Glasgow to get married in 1911 to Roderick MacNeil of Barra, but the belief is that they stayed with (distant) family, though its unclear which side.

Christina Campbell - not sure about her.  She certainly seems to be related to Catherine Beaton/McKiggan being from Skye and all, not I'm not sure.  Could been an illegitimate birth and she's named after her father, could be she was married before she married John McKiggan, or her mother remarried.  Or its a recording error.  To be honest, as she's not a blood relative (just married in), I'm not overly curious - though I might have a look next time I'm in Edinburgh!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 03 March 13 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Just to say that I have found another census entry which may be of interest?

1871 (South Boisdale, S/U)

John     Mackiggan   Head   M  29 Farmer 10 acres   S/U   Inverness
Ann     Mackiggan   Wife   M  26      S/U   Inverness
Christina     Mackiggan   Dau      2      S/U   Inverness
Ann     Mackiggan   Dau      1m      S/U   Inverness
Euphemia Maclean   M in L      60      N/U   Inverness

The surname MacLean resurfaces??

Anne Marie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 03 March 13 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Lisa,

I think I have uncovered the MacLean connection. Your John had a brother John who married Ann MacLean from Malacleit, N/U.

I haven't had time to add everything to my FTM yet.

Anne Marie.

Offline lisagarnham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 03 March 13 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne Marie,

I think this is the wrong family.  The original MacLean 'connection' came from what I think is the correct 1871 entry:

3 Glendale, South Uist:
John McKirgan b.1833, Sheepherd
Mary McKirgan b.1867, daughter, Domestic servant (!)
Mary McLean b.1803, aunt, domestic servant

John's wife Ann dies in 1868 (I found the death entry on SP), so can't be there in the 1871 census.

And I think Mary MacLean might be a married sibling of John's mother (Christina MacCuish) or father (Finlay McKiggan) if she is indeed a true 'aunt' at all...