Author Topic: WW1 Merchant Navy Death Records  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
WW1 Merchant Navy Death Records
« on: Sunday 05 June 05 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I believe John R Booth may be a distant relative of mine, but even if he is not, I have had contact with his Grandson and we'd like more details on him.
Does anyone know if the records at Kew (BT?) would have details on who his parents were?
He died, along with all hands, onboard the "Norwood" in Feb 1917, sunk by torpedo from the UC29. I believe he was in the RNR, serving as a Fireman. He was from Aberdeen. The only details we have are from the Commonwealth grave commission web site, which names says his NOK as his wife and also gives his addresss. We cannot find a death certificate to find out his parents names, hence our request about Kew.
Can anyone help with our query?

Thank you,

Grothenwell
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Merchant Navy Death Records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 June 05 19:17 BST (UK) »
Does it give an age on the cwgc site?    You may be able to find him in 1901 if so.    At least you might find a few who could be him!
Andrea

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 June 05 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,

No it didn't give an age, but I suppose it's worth a search of the 1901 census on Scotlandspeople. His death cert wasn't there, but dying at sea might not have allowed a death cert to be issued I suppose. Thanks for the idea!

Grothenwell
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline 9burnbanks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 March 18 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I realise this post was a long time ago, hopefully you're still using the same contact details.

Regarding John Booth on the Norwood. - We have a small community where the descendants of the Norwood casualties have got together and swapped documents, photographs, drawings and stories about the vessel. There is a huge amount of information collected.

Do you have any photographs of John? Did you know his medals are in the Aberdeen Maritime museum? He lived in 7 Hanover Street Aberdeen at the time of the sinking, was married and had 5-children.

My connection is James Coutts the Cook who wasn't related but lived in my village.

Get in touch!
regards
Joe McLeod