Author Topic: Grahams of Kilkeel  (Read 33241 times)

Offline crosshands

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grahams of Kilkeel
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda - have sent you a Personal Message with my email.

Offline fionascott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 January 14 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Agnes Maud is my granny.   She had 6 children including my mom evelyn Margareta 1925-86. I recognise the names and stories   I think my uncle James Edward wallace/Jim may have the family bible.  There was a letter written from the duke of montrose to My grandmother grandfather but I do not have a copy. Jim is old and childless, all the other siblings still alive are in Charleston s.c. and Zambia.   My cousins contact Jim but he has been estranged from my side of family unfortunately.I live in L.A. California.  I have twins.  Maud had twins.  It's genetic.   I also know mom was raised Bretheren. Maud  mom had a vision of Jesus or an angel when she was paralysed dying in bed  She prayed not to die so she could look after all her kids. She was so scared she took to running downstairs and she was cured    by grandpa was one of the few people who knew how to read and write in kilkeel and helped the community by reading and writing their letters.  I Would love some old family photos.   Fiona

Offline fionascott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 January 14 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Ps Jim wallace lives in Bangor co down by the sea.     Agnes Maud lived there for many years.  She died I. The late eighties she was born in 1908.   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 January 14 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Fiona. It's lovely when relatives make contact here but remember not to post details of living people  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline iconone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 January 14 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona,

Lovely to hear from you.  I will send photos but I may need your email address as last time I tried they were too big. I live in Vancouver, Canada and spend a few weeks in NI during Sept and Oct.  My mother and I visited the church and found the family grave and some of the baptism records in the church.  We meet someone who helped us find them and he knew my mother's uncle Thomas.  He took over and ran the shop.  He was known as a difficult character - my grandmother, Ivy (Maud's sister) told us her father had left some of the business to her ( she was good with money) but Thomas said women should have businesses.  We have a picture of him sitting on the steps outside the shop.  We also met a local historian who had published this picture and gave us a copy.  We have confirmed all information going back to your grandmother's great grandfather's generation but can't get back any further at the moment.  I have spoken with Jim Wallace a few time and he suggested some people to contact.  Who are your parents?
If I am in LA, I will contact you,

Linda

Offline iconone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 January 14 17:47 GMT (UK) »
John and Margaret Graham Kilkeel
John born 28/11/1851 died 16/03/1941
Margaret Jane Scott born 1858 died 14/06/1945

Offline iconone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 January 14 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Ivy Logan (Isabella Evelyn Graham born 4/7/1900 died 14/02/1987)
Her husband Thomas Logan born 17/01/1900 died June 1987

Offline fionascott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 05 January 14 19:11 GMT (UK) »
My mother was Maud`s daughter called Gretta, short for Evelyn Margaretta Wallace. So your grandmother Ivy was my great aunt. I remember meeting her as a child. My mom was born in kilkeel then moved as a child to Bangor. Her brother JIm has a twin sister who lives in Charleston south Carolina. 2 other sisters Joan and Rhoda are deceased having moved also to the USA.    The other brother Graham Wallace lived all his life in Kenya and Zambia.
My mom married my dad David McMillan and I was born in 1964. My mom had been the widow of a john Ferguson before she met my dad in her late thirties They moved to England. MY DAD was from Glasgow. His mom and sister moved to Vancouver CA where I still have a cousin.
I remember mom mentioning the Logan's and mcnenemy family and I remember a visit by someone called MAC
Unfortunately I lost some of my family photos when I lived in In JORDAN.
I will ask my cousin Cathie   about the bible etc
Great to find you cousin!
I have never been in a chat room before and apologise for not knowing the etiquette and rules

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 05 January 14 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Fiona as well as not posting details of lviing people we are not allowed to post email addresses. There is a PM (Personal Message) system which you can use instead- it's all explained in Help pages under Posting Guidelines (button at top of page).

To remove your email address, etc. just click on 'modify' on the post, make changes then save.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!