Author Topic: Grahams of Kilkeel  (Read 33239 times)

Offline dermotb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: the Scott ancestor
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 02:21 BST (UK) »
A joint effort has uncovered the fascinating background to Margaret Scott, mother of John Graham of the boot shop.

Her grandfather was a Scottish soldier in the Napoleonic wars, and his story is told in a book wonderfully researched by someone in another branch of the Scott family.

We have also discovered his army records, including his plea for a pension due to his wounds.

You can find all these documents at <a href="https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0By-wnjsdtus1dHg4aC1ZRXFqZE0&usp=sharing">this link</a>.

Offline dermotb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Scans of pages from the boot shop ledger
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 04:26 BST (UK) »
As I noted above, PRONI has the boot shop ledgers between 1887 and 1936. I hired a local researcher to go and look at them. He reported that they were rather dull, but there were some pages at the back of one of them with personal information on them, and he sent me copies, which I have scanned and put here for you to download (I recommend downloading rather than just viewing in the browser, because they are high resolution and you can zoom in for details).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3bkcqq8diehsdnn/AACen3roBRITRQr8waLJ9tuRa?dl=0
(you can cancel the Dropbox login prompt that comes up)

To save you time, I've summarised what is on each page below

* Bootshop ledger page dated 1894 = details of transactions, nothing personal
* Bootshop ledger page dated 1897 = bank balance of 346 pounds in October 1897, plus addresses for John Graham and George Scott in America.
* Bootshop ledger undated p954 = couple of transactions, plus addresses for Isabella Burns, Jame Stevinson, Birt Buckley, Walter Balson, and a cute note from Margaret Graham at the bottom
* Bootshop ledger undated p956 = details of William Graham's costs for passage to the US, plus addresses for Isabella Burns, Walter Balson, AG Tilly
* Bootshop ledger undated p958 = details of pay for William Graham for work done in 1897, plus transactions, and address for Mr Ross
* Undated page from bootshop ledger = a very formal article (perhaps a draft of a letter to be published) written in or after 1916. There is no trace of this in Irish newspaper archives.

Enjoy.

Offline dermotb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The origins of James Graham
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 08:31 BST (UK) »
As the first post in this thread says, family sources claim that James Graham (born possibly c.1795?) married Mary Lindock.  It is said that James was born in Dumbarton, Scotland and came to Ireland as a soldier in the 81st Foot Regiment of Scotland. Also that he may have run off with a pregnant servant, or had religious differences with his family.

There seems to be absolutely no information about either James Graham or Mary "Lindock" (probably phonetic spelling, in my view) in either Scottish or Irish records. I cannot find any candidates whatsoever, using the main genealogy websites.

Army records do show one James Graham in the 81st foot, getting a medal in the 1893-1913 Peninsular War (which means he must have joined the 81st on or before 1813), and available muster records show a Serjeant James Graham for two periods, Dec 1813-Mar 1813, and Oct-Dec 1815. But we don't know if this our James or not - he would have been rather young for that rank, perhaps, if born in 1795.

The 81st was in battles up to 1813, but was lucky to be absent from Waterloo, being assigned to guard hospitals and baggage in the rear. After spending time in Paris, it was posted to Ireland in April 1817, initially to the south around Cork, and newspaper reports show it marching north to Enniskillen and Cavan in June 1818. I cannot find any more traces of it until it left Ireland in 1822, but newspaper reports show there were certainly troops stationed in Dublin, and they were rotated fairly frequently, so there is every probability that the 81st came close to Kilkeel.

Additionally, I have found one reference to a previous visit of the 81st to Ireland in 1794, when it marched from Dublin to a townland just beyond Kilkeel. So there is some evidence for troops passing through Kilkeel.

I think that if James was in the 81st, we can see how he got to Ireland, and to Kilkeel, and (in my opinion) we don't need the reasons of pregnant servants or religious differences to justify him staying there - it was apparently quite common for ex soldiers to settle down where they had served, especially if they had found a partner there. And of course, another of our ancestors, Duncan Scott, did exactly that, too.

However, I didn't want discard the family stories, as they often contain a lot of truth, and so I investigated further, and I have the pleasure of presenting to you a speculative theory that explains both the pregnancy and the strange surname "Lindock".

There was a famous English general Thomas Graham, aka Lord Lynedoch [sounds like Lindock], named after his country property. Unfortunately, Thomas had no children and his title died with him, but there is another possibility.

Thomas Graham actively supported others in the Graham clan, including finding them posts in the military, and he was in regular contact with Grahams from the West of Scotland, where James was reputedly born. Also, the 81st foot served under him in Holland in 1814, the year before Waterloo.

It is possible that James joined the 81st via Thomas (surprisingly, in those days, the army was a popular choice for young men because if offered status and a regular job).  And suppose James knew Thomas well enough to visit Lynedoch, perhaps after the war, and that he made a servant (Mary) pregnant. In those days, servants were often known locally by their master or farm name, giving us Mary Lynedoch, which becomes Mary Lindock phonetically. And he takes her off to Ireland when he is posted there.

It's a nice story, but I can't prove any of it.

Offline iconone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Grahams of Kilkeel
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 18:06 BST (UK) »
Do we know anything about any of the relatives and descendants of the Kilkeel Grahams in our family.  Could they provide any clues to finding more about James Graham born 1795.  I know John Graham born 1851 had a brother George born 1843.  Did he have other brothers and sisters and who are their descendants. What about John Graham born 1820 (his father).  Did he have brother and sisters and who are their descendants?

Offline dermotb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 22:46 BST (UK) »
Apparently (the first) John Graham had 3 brothers, but we don't know more.

I think the best bet may be the family bible, which is reputed to have the whole history in it. On page 3 of this thread, FionaScott says her uncle Jim may have it, but he is estranged from her side of the family.

I think this is definitely our strongest lead, and we should try to contact Jim and ask him to share the details with us. So I've altready tried contacting her to get his contact details, without success.

Offline dermotb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 17 August 15 08:39 BST (UK) »
A few updates.

1. Jim (mentioned above) doesn't have a family bible.

2. Duncan Scott (born 1795 in Scotland) had four brothers, James (baptised 1798), Donald (1800), Charles (1804) and Thomas (1806).

3. I have found a family tree for brother James, which ends in 1984, but because the tree is on FamilySearch, I can't track who put it there.
https://familysearch.org/tree/#view=tree&person=K4JR-C6Y&spouse=K8CJ-37T&parents=LV75-C64_LV75-CJT&section=pedigree

4. Duncan's parents are hard to trace, because
(a) there is no Ann Binks (or any variation of Binks) listed on the main genealogy sites (I have seen one tree show her born in 1774, but without a source). However, there seems to be a cluster of Binks in the area north of Perth, up to Kinclaven, so it's very likely she came from there.
(b) there are about 6 Alexander Scott's born in Dull/Aberfeldy at about the right time. It could be any of them. But this concentration of Scott's at least suggests that Duncan's father was probably born in that area.

Offline dermotb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 17 August 15 09:02 BST (UK) »
I've done more research on James Graham, reportedly born in 1795 in Dumbarton.

There is only one matching record on the main genealogy sites, James Grahame, born in Old Kilpatrick, Dunbarton, in 1795, to Duncan Grahame and Elisabeth Gay. If this is him, we can dig back a bit further (accepting that this is somewhat speculative).

His parents were married on 12 December 1794, almost exactly 9 months before James' birth. Nearly 50 years later, in 1841, they were still living in Old Kilpatrick, with James' brother Robert, aged 30, who was a cotton spinner. They were in Faifley, which had large cotton mills with thousands of workers. Duncan was shown as a labourer.

Elisabeth Gay has only one matching online birth record, born 1776 in Port Glasgow (a little to the left of Dunbarton) to John Gay and Agnes Walker, neither of whom I can trace.

There is also only one matching record for Duncan Graham, born in 1771 at Rothesay, Bute (an island off the coast near Glasgow), to Angus Graham and Margaret Brown. His parents were married the previous year at Rothesay, and that record kindly gives us both fathers' names - Archibald Graham and Finlay Brown. Angus is a tenant farmer, and Finlay a "cottar" (someone who worked for his board and keep).

It should be possible to trace a name like Finlay, but I had no luck.

However, we do have a unique record showing Angus Graham born at Kildalton on Argyll, the large island to the left of Bute, in 1738, to Archibald Graham (no mother shown).

And because Kildalton is so small, we can be fairly sure that the 1729 marriage record at Kildalton for Archibald Graham and Kathrine Campbell, is for Angus's parents.

I couldn't go back any further because there were multiple options for each name.

However, IF this is James Graham's parentage, it is hard to see how he came from the Grahams of Montrose.

I have a couple of original document scans for anyone who is interested.

Offline dermotb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 17 August 15 09:20 BST (UK) »
One last update. I have researched the question of how both the Scottish soldiers Duncan Scott and James Graham ended up in Kilkeel, Ireland.

Britain had to keep a strong army in Ireland because of the threat of rebellion, after the failed uprising of 1798 (aided by a small French invasion), and the threats posed by the revolutions in France and America (much of which was due to ex-Irish and ex-Scots emigrants). It was not just Ireland - there were uprisings in England and Scotland, too.

So a number of regiments were stationed in different parts of Ireland (north and south), and then the soldiers were scattered in groups in villages, and billeted with locals, who were paid a small allowance. This led to very slack discipline and fraternisation with locals, especially women, so the regiments were moved around regularly.

Kilkeel was a small town, but it had an important revenue collecting centre nearby at Ballyvea, and we know the soldiers played a role in protecting the revenue officers. The Mourne coast also had a lot of smuggling, which was another reason for having soldiers there, because smugglers were prepared to shoot to avoid capture.

Duncan Scott's 42nd regiment spent 5 months in the Kilkeel area at the end of 1818, and his first child was born in 1819. His regiment was transferred to Dublin in mid 1819, and he was only discharged from the army in April 1820, so Sara may have been alone for much of the pregnancy and birth.

We can't be sure exactly when James Graham's 81st regiment came near Kilkeel, but it was posted to Ireland in 1817, and certainly spent some time in Ulster. Like Duncan, he was probably also billeted in Kilkeel for a while and met his future wife there.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Saturday 14 November 15 19:26 GMT (UK) »
I have had no luck tracing a Robert Graham who supposedly married my Margaret Beggs, who was  born July 31, 1852 in Ballyvoy, Co. Antrim, Ireland.  So marriage likely anytime after 1870.
Does anyone know of this couple? I did find the death of a Robert Graham on Dec 27, 1864 in Drummadarragh and wondered if he could be the father of my Robert.  Several of Margaret's cousins were born in Drummadarragh.
Thanks for any help
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland