Author Topic: Looking for relatives of Wisdom Smith (Headington Quarry)  (Read 9616 times)

Offline dravot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for relatives of Wisdom Smith (Headington Quarry)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there, another relative here!, my great grandfather was Charles Smith son of Prudence Smith (Headington Quarry)
All the best
Steve

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 22:56 BST (UK) »
Steve, if theres anything I can help you with or info you need let me know. I can give you my email in private message.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline Helen M Willis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi I am related to Wisdom and Priscilla through their son Samson
would love any further information, I have just received their death certificates and if correct Priscilla died in littlemore lunatic asylum and Wisdom in the oxford workhouse.
I'm thinking of making a trip to the oxford history centre soon to research further
Helen Willis

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 22:10 BST (UK) »
Samson who married Elizabeth Bushnell? Welcome  ;D  Smith's still live in Headington, they're quite proud of their heritage! Priscilla was married to Wisdom's cousin Henry Smith first.
My notes on Samson: May 25th, County hall, Oxford: Charles Ward, Thos. Goodgame, and Samuel Smith [SAMSON], labourers, of Headington, were charged by P.C. King, with being drunk and riotous in the public street at Garrington on the 13th inst... [Case dismissed.] On 1871 census with wife Elizabeth (by her middle name Rebecca) and 4 eldest children.  Living in the High St in Headington in 1881 with 6 eldest children. On 1891 census in Headington with wife and children except Thomas, Selina and Ada.  On 1911 census at The Bank, Old Headington, widdowed with son Ernest. Samson & Elizabeth had a total of 12 children, 3 died before 1911. OR she could be the Elizabeth Bushell on the 1851 census who was born 1844, child of Wm and Maria of Headington quarry.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline Helen M Willis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 21:06 BST (UK) »
Yes that's my smiths, I have record of priscilla dying in littlemore lunatic asylum and wisdom dying in Oxfordshire workhouse, how would I go about finding any more information for them,  thanks

Offline Laurensimmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 February 21 02:11 GMT (UK) »
I am a descendant - his daughter Mary Ann married my third great grandfather   ;D

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 September 21 18:08 BST (UK) »
Haven’t visited this thread in ages but it’s reminded me of the murder that took place, I need to get my tree up to see the ladies name but pretty sure if was a Charles Bagley , her husband , who killed her, may be mistaken on his name as it’s a huge tree. Daughter was Oceana.

Offline Laurensimmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 September 21 18:10 BST (UK) »
Lucy! I have screenshots of the newspaper article
Haven’t visited this thread in ages but it’s reminded me of the murder that took place, I need to get my tree up to see the ladies name but pretty sure if was a Charles Bagley , her husband , who killed her, may be mistaken on his name as it’s a huge tree. Daughter was Oceana.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 September 21 09:28 BST (UK) »
The screenshots of the newspaper articles are copyrighted, so you cannot post them here on RootsChat unfortunatley.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.