Author Topic: WATERS Crowyn Cornwall  (Read 9325 times)

Offline stevenwaters

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WATERS Crowyn Cornwall
« on: Wednesday 20 February 13 15:33 GMT (UK) »
My name is Steven Waters i am from Pt Augusta South Australia,
I am after any information on my g.g.g.g grandfather

William Waters born Dec 22 1811? Crowyn Cornwall Tin miner at Wheal Busy last known address in Cornwall Perranarworthal Kerrier parish 1 Bissoe bridge,
Married Mary Elizabeth Bowden at Kenwyn Parish Truro Aug 2 1825,
Left Plymouth 4th April 1847 onboard the LaBelle Alliance,
with 6 of 10 children Grace,Caroline,W.H.Waters(my g.g.g.grandfather)Henry,Elisha and Arundel.(6)
Isacc,Josheph,Thomas and Mary remained in Cornwall(4)
Parents and 6 children arrived Port Adelaide 2nd July 1847.

If anyone could help it would be very appreciated.
Thank you

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Waters Crowyn Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, welcome to Rootschat

I presume that you have them in the 1841 census - if not here it is, transcribed as Watters. Are you sure that Isaac was a son and not a brother, given his age and the big gap between him and the next child? The 1841 census does not give relationships.

HO107; Piece: 138; Book: 11;

William Watter   35  copper miner
Mary Watter   35
Isaac Watter   25 copper miner
Josheph Watter   15 copper miner
Thomas Watters   14
William Watters   8
Henry Watters   6
Elisha Watters   3
Mary Watters   16
Grace Watters   12
Caroline Watters   9
Arundal Watters   1
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Waters Crowyn Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello! If you haven't discovered the Cornwall OPC site, it's a treat.

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/baptisms/

Or aha, perhaps you have, and you have taken this William baptised in Jan 1812 and born in Dec 1811 to be your man:
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=3094205

Do you have a record in Australia that gives a birthdate for him? Because there are actually 5 Williams born in Crowan 1807-1811. Technically, they would all have been "30" in the 1841 census, if they had answered as required (round down to the nearest 5).

One of those Williams had a father Isaac ... the others all had father William (and one would have been a replacement for a child one of the couples lost, born 1807 died 1810).
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline stevenwaters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WATERS Crowyn Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 February 13 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the quick replies  :)

Yes i have used the 1841 census to obtain some details and yes i did think Isaac may have been a brother but i havent been able to find anything to say the contary from way out here  :) other than the passenger list of the LaBelle Alliance which notes the 6 children.

something else that may help to trace it back,

william waters married mary elizabeth bowden (bawden) 2/8/1825 kenwyn parish truro witnessed by John bawden and richard angrove, mary was born 10/5/1800 st agnes to father john bawden mother prudence paull married 6/10/1792 kenwyn ,they had 2 other children elizabeth born 25/11/1798 and john born 20/10/1802 both at st agnes.

these facts where given to me by a very distant relative whom id never met till researching my family tree and we swapped info but in saying that it would make mary 41 yrs old in 1841 census not 30 yrs old as the census states.

of course this makes it more confusing than clearer  :(

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 February 13 02:54 GMT (UK) »
This looks like Isaac here, 1813 parents William and Ann:

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=3094342

That would have made him 28 or almost, at census time, so census age 25.

If you haven't messed around with BMDs at that site, do have a go.

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline stevenwaters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 February 13 03:22 GMT (UK) »
first lucky strike found record number 491479 in marriages that match my information  :) how do i access further into that record.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 February 13 03:34 GMT (UK) »
What you see is what is there, all of it. I know, because I am doing some of the transcribing. ;) (And yes, I know I'm way behind on the last job, you who I know are reading -- I have been over my head in work and I just take the odd 5-minute break and read posts here because, like, it's more fun!)

The transcriber copies everything that is in the parish record, and at that date it seldom included info like the spouse's parents.

You have William Waters and Mary Bawden 1825:
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=marriages&id=491479

and it certainly seems that is your couple.

Offline stevenwaters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 February 13 03:47 GMT (UK) »
and i thank you for the effort you take to do these snippets of info, every little bit helps especially when im thousands of km,s away.
i will keep plugging away ive already got some good pointers to continue my research and some handy directions to continue in.

Thanks again and keep up the great work  :)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 February 13 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Just to give the OPC site a little plug -- if you happen to have a bit of spare time, you can do it too. The parish records come to you by email as images you view with Windows picture viewer or whatever it is, and you get an Excel sheet to type the info into (date, place names ...) and it's s little bit tedious but can also be interesing -- I'm getting to know the families in the parish I'm working on, which unfortunately isn't a parish I have any connection with ...

And here I am in central Canada, getting ready to knock off work and go have a midnight supper and watch Coronation Street, while you're bright-eyed and bushytailed down under. ;)

The things I do know about my Cornwall families before 1840 (once I discovered that's where one of my gr-grandparents' families were long rooted before his household upped sticks to other parts of the UK, temporarily to Australia, and then to Canada), I do largely owe to the people who have been doing it all before me and the OPCs for the parishes there.