Author Topic: James Muir,cant find his birth date  (Read 5911 times)

Offline Tomscot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Muir,cant find his birth date
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 February 13 16:16 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Monica,
              Yes BruceL's dates were correct,James was born 1877 in Dunfirmline, that cleared that date up,now I have one about Elizabeth Bragg, and what happened to her.
              From what my mother told me about the Family they had hard time, though she didn't have to much info about my great grandmother.Do the records office in Edinburgh hold the info on these workhouses? or is there a web site I can contact? Once again thank you for your help.
                                                                       Kind Regards
                                                                                           Tomscot 
Sussex,Prodger,Goldsmith,Woods,Roberts, Pankhurst, Green,Souton,Lamper,Lower,Reeds,Turner,Hover,Bennet,Elliard,Peyt,Potter,West,Jeffrey, English,Seal, Clark,Hill,Salter, Carpenter,Blackman,Ince,Booker,Lacy,Acton,Marten,Cressey,Driver,Sowter,Young,Mitchell. Northumberland,Richardson. Northamptonshire, Lines,Pittom,Ward,Hall.Norfolk,Lake,Barnard,Spinks,Stephens,Griston,Gooch, Olley Holman.London Lake.Somerset, Rendell.Scotland, Muir, Clark,Aitken,

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 February 13 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi TomScott

One question answered always opens the door to the next, doesn't it  ;)

Jonn found Elizabeth Bragg at the Greenock Poorhouse, and Asylum Smithstone. I think she also showed there in 1891 (I can add that entry if you haven't got it already). See here for more details www.workhouses.org.uk/Greenock/

A thought for you to consider. There is a reference to the Asylum at the site on both of Elizabeth's entries in 1881 and 1891. I am wondering whether actually she was an inmate of the Asylum wing of the poorhouse rather than accomodated in the workhouse wing.....

The Workhouse.org site is amazing. For Greenock as you will see from the link, it holds an awful lot of info. Look to the bottom of the page:

Records

The whereabouts of any surviving records poorhouse appears to be unknown. However, some records dating from around 1860 relating to the asylum/hospital part of the institution are held by Glasgow City Archives, The Mitchell Library, 210 North Street, Glasgow G3 7DN, Scotland.

I would consider following up that avenue to see whethere there are any records connected to Elizabeth and the Asylum. However, if the records available are really only around the 1860s, will be too early for you.

Always the possibility that William Muir may have claimed some poor relief or support in the Glasgow area given the family circumstances. Also, with Elizabeth dieing in the 1890s in Glasgow, there may be some poor relief records for her too possibly?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 February 13 16:58 GMT (UK) »

Hello Tomscot, Monica,

The 1881 census for the Greenock Poorhouse, and Asylum, had two sections, Elizabeth, was in the Asylum Section, sorry about that.

Here is a census for 1851. which i am sure is your Elizabeth Bragg, and her family.

Bragge George, Head, M. M. age 30 years, Shoemaker, Born Dorset, Poole,
Bragge Katherine, Wife, M. F. age 30 years, Shoemakers Wife, Born Co Donegal, Ennis.
Bragge Elizabeth, Daur, F. age 6 years, Born, Fife, Dunfermilne,
Bragge George, Son, M. age 4 years, Born, Fife, Dunfermilne.

Address, Bothwellhaugh, Dunfermilne, Fife.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Tomscot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 March 13 13:54 BST (UK) »
  Hi Monica,jonn,
                       Thanks once again for your help. Just to let you know, that I will be going to the Records office in Edinburgh,and was wondering if I could get any information for you in way thanking you for your help, if so please post any dates and names, and I will do my best.
                                                                 Kind Regards
                                                                                      Tomscot. ;D
Sussex,Prodger,Goldsmith,Woods,Roberts, Pankhurst, Green,Souton,Lamper,Lower,Reeds,Turner,Hover,Bennet,Elliard,Peyt,Potter,West,Jeffrey, English,Seal, Clark,Hill,Salter, Carpenter,Blackman,Ince,Booker,Lacy,Acton,Marten,Cressey,Driver,Sowter,Young,Mitchell. Northumberland,Richardson. Northamptonshire, Lines,Pittom,Ward,Hall.Norfolk,Lake,Barnard,Spinks,Stephens,Griston,Gooch, Olley Holman.London Lake.Somerset, Rendell.Scotland, Muir, Clark,Aitken,

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 April 13 11:19 BST (UK) »
Tomscott, what a kind offer, thank you  :) Will be in touch if anything is needed. Hope you have a really successful day there!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk