Author Topic: Gravestones, Llanegryn.  (Read 16827 times)

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gravestones, Llanegryn.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 April 13 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi again Br1gau,
Many thanks for your prompt reply, all information is gratefully accepted and taken on board.
With regards to Hugh Owen, the only evidence I have is on Gwen Pughe's marriage certificate to Hugh Angel states her father was Hugh Owen and that he was a farmer, but I have no other info other than that, so accepting all help to try and filter through to the correct family.
Retpara.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 April 13 10:22 BST (UK) »
That's good news, so Gwen's marriage cert confirms the 1815 baptism record found on http://www.freereg.org.uk/

The Parish Registers sometimes contain extra information not otherwise transcribed, such as parents' parish of origin & father's occupation.  Next time I'm at Dolgellau Archives I'll double check Gwen's birth record and also see if I can find one for Jennet.

b.

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 April 13 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Br1gau,
I just can't thank you enough for the help you have given me so far, it is much appreciated.
Could you please tell me how to find the 1815 baptism entry for Gwen on freereg as every time I search I get the wrong family, as I would like to try and get a printout from it.
Many thanks,
Retpara.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 April 13 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
On the Freereg search page, record type: Baptisms:
Enter surname Rees, County: Merionethshire, place: LlangelyNNin
Two entries appear, one for Gwen Pugh Owen, the other for Gwen Pugh, surname blank
Click highlighted numbers at left of table to open up record

brigau

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 28 April 13 21:57 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Br1gau, got it now, can now put it in Gwen Pugh's folder, helping towards completing her life story.
Retpara.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 03 May 13 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Retpara,

Checked Llangelynnin, Pennal & Llanegryn registers without a great deal of luck.  Pennal is lumped in with Towyn & Llanegryn records are very sparse.  The following may/may not relate to your family but here they are anyway.  No birth record for Hugh Angel I’m afraid; the only couple who appear to be having children around the appropriate time in Pennal are David & Margaret Angel who lived in Cwrt (Court in the census returns.)  You will notice glaring inconsistencies regarding the death dates/ages of Evan Angel & Jennet Rees.  I don’t know which is right.  Llangelynin churchyard has been surveyed, Meirionnydd Archives have the MIs on microfiche – possibly it's a transcription error, although they’ve mostly proved accurate.  Only thing is to go to Llangelynnin and check the headstone!!

Llangelynin Parish Register
1815 September 10th: Gwen Pugh, illegitimate daughter of Hugh Owen, bachelor, and Jonet Rees, spinster, was baptised

1838 December 9th: Elizabeth, illegitimate daughter of William Davies, Ostler of Caerynwch [Dolgelley] and Gwen Pugh, Glandwr, Parish of Dolgelley, single woman, was baptised by Thos. Jones, curate

1849 December 19th: Evan Angel, Ty Croes, was buried aged 4 years, Edward Jones curate

1856 October 1st: Jonnet Rees, Ty Croes, was buried aged 70 years, Edward Jones curate

Pennal Parish Register
1804 July 29th; Ann, daughter of David Angel and Margaret, his wife was baptised

1807 February 11th or 22nd?: Evan, son of David Angel and Margaret his wife was baptised

1809 Margaret, daughter of David Angel and Margaret, his wife was baptised

1815 October 8th: Elizabeth, daughter of David Angel and Margaret, his wife was baptised

(no other ‘Angel’ baptisms in Pennal Parish)

St Peter’s churchyard, Pennal: (Cwrt is a hamlet near Pennal)

Coddadriaeth
am
ANN ANGEL Cwrt, plwf Towyn
yr hon fu farw Medi 4 1857
yn 53 mlwydd oed
Canys ein byr ysgofn gystudd
ni sydd yn odidog ragarol yn
gognoniant a ni
[/i]

Not a great deal of new information for you, I'm afraid!

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 May 13 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Br1gau,
Once again thank you very much for your time and effort put in, every bit of information you have supplied, good or bad will assist as I can put it with the information I have and hopefully come out with good results.
Thanks again Retpara.

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 05 May 13 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Br1gau,
Going on the last information you supplied, wishful thinking, perhaps you can correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like..........

Evan Angel who was buried in 1849 would probably have been Hugh and Gwen Angels 2nd child as on the 1851 census shows Hugh and Gwen with three daughters Gwen aged 7, Margaret aged 2 and Elizabeth 2 months whom was my Gt Gt Grandmother at Tycroes, so Evan might have come between Gwen and Margaret.

On this census Jennet Rees is not shown, but being Gwen's mother may have come to live with them in her old age where she died in 1856.

When Jennet Rees then died in 1856, she was probably buried with Evan Angel being her Grandson?

Lastly with regards to David and Margaret Angel from Pennal, could these be Hugh's mother and father and he has named his second daughter Margaret after his mother and then my Gt Gt Grandmother Elizabeth after his sister?

Coincidence or what.

Any thoughts or views would be appreciated,
Retpara.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 06 May 13 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Retpara,

Yes, the MI is in error, don’t know if it’s the transcription on microfiche or the headstone itself; suspect the former!  From FreeBmd:

Births:
1846 Evan Angel Dolgelley March qtr 27 – 173

Deaths:
1850 Evan Angel Dolgelley March qtr 27 – 133
1856 Jennet Rees Dolgelley December qtr 11b - 259

The 1851 census shows Jenet Rees (transcribed as Janet) living alone in Llangryn village aged 67.  And yes, grandmother and grandson are in the same grave, possibly Gwen and Hugh are also there although there is no marker.  Sometimes as many as five were ‘layered’ in the same plot.

Certainly the names Evan, Margaret & Elizabeth were common to both Hugh Angel & David Angel's families, but without Hugh’s baptism record it’s impossible to be 100% certain of his parents, however, David & Margaret Angel were the only parents recorded in Pennal at the appropriate time.  The 1843 marriage certificate may have Hugh’s father’s name on it: 
1843 Hughe Angel & Gwen Pughe, Dolgelly March qtr 27 - 221

Regards,
brigau