Author Topic: Barrett Family Kildorrery/Mitchelstown, Cork  (Read 2900 times)

Offline Lisa62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barrett Family Kildorrery/Mitchelstown, Cork
« on: Thursday 21 February 13 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Hit by a stone wall. Looking for Barretts/ Cotters from Kildorrery/mitchelstown area. Only able to go far back as 1830s.  Would like to learn alot more for my mother. Alot of records destroyed.  Any other root I can go.  I have pretty well exhausted ancestry.ca

Offline BarrettTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Barrett Family Kildorrery/Mitchelstown, Cork
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
seen your email re Barretts - Dont know about Cotters.
My Barrett side is from this area but not sure if links with yours.  There were two branches in Kilbehenny and Kildorrery area in that period known as the Marky Barretts and the Micky Barretts.

Suprised you cango back to 1830 as lot of records have been destroyed around that period but I will be travelling to Dublin mid August to unravel some of the links at the Archives in Dublin and with my cousin in Mitchlestown.  Unfortunately my tree is quite big at moment as have about 700 names on it ( I tend to go in all directions not just back) but let me know the area your looking and can see if there is a match

My father William Barrett left the family farm in Ballyarthur but the two above were in Kilbehenny for a while before this and as Kildorry in near there are links ( but not so strong) there.  My tree is very large and not posted on any web sites but if fits can send you a copy in pdf.
Hope to hear from you
Kevin Barrett

Offline Bikerchick64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 23:54 BST (UK) »
Lisa62 - I am a Barrett and have a Cotter as a great grandmother.  My Barretts came from Knockskaugh in Tipperary, just NW of Clonmel.  My great-grandmother Johanna Cotter married John James Hyland and they had 7 children together.  6 of the 7 children came to NY State and settled in and around Long Island, circa 1900-1910.  I know my Barretts are from New Inn/Knockskaugh but am unsure as to where they initially came from.  My father told me some gentleman/farmer came from Galway but my brother says he came from Cork.  I do recall my father saying something similar but I thought that it pertained to another great great grandfather.  Have you had your DNA tested by 23andme.com or Ancestry's DNA?  I am on both.  Would be interesting to see if we match.  And my mother was from Canana.... SK.  I still have relatives in SK and ON. 

Bikerchick64
Ostrowski, Sokol, Worochta, Lukowicz, Ternopil, Zverbki Skalat, Ukraine, Poland, Galacia, Carpathian Mountains, River Bug, Barrett, County Tipperary, Scully, Hyland, Cotter, McNamara, Quinn, Clonmel, Cahir, Knockskaugh, Knocknaboha, Catholic

Offline Bikerchick64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 September 16 00:00 BST (UK) »
BarrettTree - my Hylands in my Barrett tree were from the Kilbehenney area.  As I told Lisa62, there is a possibility my Barretts came from Cork.  My father said someone came from an area NW of Blarney Castle.  My father also said someone came from Galway.  It could be the forefather came from Galway to Cork (ala the Tirawley Barretts) and then my Barretts that settled in Knockskaugh/Donegal came from Cork.  I am unsure.  My father is dead and my relatives have no recollection where the family is from.  Have you had your DNA tested by 23andme.com or AncestryDNA.com?  It would be interesting to see if we match.  I am second generation Irish here in America and received my Irish passport last year. 

-Bikerchick64
Ostrowski, Sokol, Worochta, Lukowicz, Ternopil, Zverbki Skalat, Ukraine, Poland, Galacia, Carpathian Mountains, River Bug, Barrett, County Tipperary, Scully, Hyland, Cotter, McNamara, Quinn, Clonmel, Cahir, Knockskaugh, Knocknaboha, Catholic

Offline BarrettTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi  no Ive not tested my DNA but might try it out.  there are considerable number of Barretts around Cork and its hard to locate some of them.  Ive been searching wills in Dublin and this provides some information but its time consuming.  One good location is the Land office but you need some idea where the land was owned at any point and as land passed through families the land they owned tends to give you all the names going well back.  Ive used this method and it really gives good idea along with census as the numbers of houses and plots tally
It could be your Barrett line in Kilbehenny links with mine  but that lnk would be circa 1850 as my branch moved slightly away from there but the key ones in Kilbehenny were Michael  and Mark Barrett but there could be others.  I link with a Mark Barrett who married an Ellen English and he died btwn 1871 and 1901.  His son Patrick born 1820 is buried in Kilbehenny. If you think you have relatives in Kilbehenny graveyard all the gavestones have been checked and detailed on the web.  www.historicalgraves.com and check kilbehenny old graveyard.  Hope this helps and  as Ive done fair bit of reseach if you have bit more detail can see if Ive got anything else related.