Author Topic: Zion Welsh Baptist Chapel, Waunarlwydd  (Read 2017 times)

Offline gower

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Zion Welsh Baptist Chapel, Waunarlwydd
« on: Thursday 21 February 13 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any information about the above chapel please. Any contacts? I am trying to find the burial records. I have visited but a lot of the grave stones are down & the grave yard is in a poor state. Thanks for your help  :)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Zion Welsh Baptist Chapel, Waunarlwydd
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 February 13 10:38 GMT (UK) »
i think you may have to contact the (West) Glamorgan Archives or Swansea Archives for the registers etc of that particular church or find the head baptist church diocese  office and ask them of an opinion to the churches demise.
 ???

Offline gower

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 February 13 10:53 GMT (UK) »
This chapel is not listed on their holdings catalogue but I have emailed the Swansea Archivist.
I was hoping someone local may know more.... is it being used now? If so is there a warden I can contact? As I said I have been there but no clues at the premises.
 ???

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 February 13 10:59 GMT (UK) »
if you have been there maybe google earth it... have a look at street view  and have a look at the signs on the church and make contact with them direct.....?

Offline gower

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 February 13 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have been there and checked google earth. There is a large sign giving times for services on Wed & Sundays. I am not sure how old the sign is though as the chapel looks disused. Hopefully someone from the local area will see this & get in touch.

Offline gower

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 February 13 09:59 GMT (UK) »
solved.... found the contact number for the warden!

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Gower, I'm interested in the kind of info you were able to find via the Zion warden. Are there resources available online? Or in a PDF via e-mail? Or are answers only available on specific people?

I was born and brought up in Waunarlwydd and I still visit my family there regularly. I know Zion well. As a child, I sang in a children's choir that rehearsed there. The same choir (now grandparents!) still rehearses there with the same conductor.

The reason I ask is that I have two family lines that lived in Waunarlwydd from about 1850 onwards. Most of my 'Welsh' data is from online BMD and census records. I haven't looked into Chapel records there at all. My grandmother's family were members of another chapel ('Sardis') just down the road but I'm curious about the availability of info from Zion.

Hoping to hear from you,

Mike

PS. I still have a good personal network in Waunarlwydd (including 'Zion' governors). If I can help out with your research there, please let me know.

Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline HARRIES83

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 July 21 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Gower,

We are currently trying to find burial records. Did you have any luck with your findings for Zion chapel?  :)

Many thanks