Author Topic: catholic Schools Glasgow 1930's  (Read 10432 times)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: catholic Schools Glasgow 1930's
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 February 13 15:37 GMT (UK) »

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 February 13 15:42 GMT (UK) »

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 February 13 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggs

Sorry I am not sure myself where St Josephs was!  However, I found this website which might interest you about the area but especially the comment posted by Joseph McIvor Sept 7, 2011 towards the end of the page.  It is the part about traveling to a Catholic school and not the debate with the other poster (which seems to get quite heated) I thought you might be interested in!

http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/people/nomeanstreets.php

Also, I was hoping to find a map for you but the best I could find was one from 1897!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2734/4259441925_79689eb267_o.jpg

Look for Duke Street on left hand side of map and then  Bluevale Street.  I think based on a modern map that the street marked East Miller Street next to Bluevale is what is now Millerston St.  I couldn't swear to it but I think it is.  I see there is a school slightly opposite the other side of Duke St on Meadow Park Street.  A possibility? 

Kind regards

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 February 13 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Great map CD, East Miller Street became Millerston Street right enough, news to me, three Miller Streets and a Millerston Street on my old map so possibly the reason for the change. The school in Meadowpark Street is Dennistoun School, which was a secondary school in my young day. The school must be south of Duke Street I think. St Ann's or St Mary's?

Skoosh.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 February 13 22:46 GMT (UK) »

My dad was brought up in this area of Glasgow in the 1920's and 30's.
He attended Sacred Heart Primary School in Reid Street.
Google maps shows the distance beteen Millerston St and Sacred Heart RC Primary School is 1.2miles or a 20 min walk,

Offline ayrgenes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 March 13 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggs

Just found your post.

I attended St Anne's from 1956 - 61, then went to St Mungo's Acad, which was a boys only school.
From there I went 'down' a school and attended St Mary's Calton for my last 8 months at school. As far as I know St Anne's was around well before I went there. It was knocked down and rebuilt quite recently. Most of my family were married at St Anne's, but I attended St Nicholas', which was the chapel in David St just opposite st Anne's school. (A lot of people thought that was St Anne's chapel) I know Mitchell archives have a lot of info on Glasgow schools, ie maps, records, log books as I have used them quite a bit to find my relies.
Davie
Dempster - Glasgow, Muirkirk, Sorn, Ayrshire
McIntyre - Glasgow, Campsie
Hinde - Glasgow, Wolverhampton
McLintock - Glasgow, Kilmarnock,
McGlade - Rutherglen, Ireland
Kettlewell - Yorkshire

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 March 13 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

sorry not to have been online for a few days - busy time.  Want to thank everyone for all the info and links - very helpful.  Only thing is that I now feel there are too many options lololol.  Have also managed to ask a contact in Glasgow, whose mother and 3 aunts grew up in the same household as my mother, though not related.  And these other household members went to the nuns school in Charlotte Street!  Which surprised me somewhat, as i always thought Charlotte street school was more in Bridgeton area.  I suppose that the Mitchell Library archives might be the ultimate way of finding out re school info, (thanks for the idea Davie) - but as I am in Oz, it will take a win in the Cross Lotto before I can get there!!  I could spend a year back "home" and still not have enough time to do all the research i want to do lol.

Anyway, again everyone thanks a million for your input!!
Maggs
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 March 13 10:48 GMT (UK) »
maggs,   this is an excellent site for "onythin Glesga", http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/index.php
All the best with the research.

Bests,

Skoosh.