Author Topic: Magherafelt Castledawson Questions  (Read 10566 times)

Offline caramarie

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Magherafelt Castledawson Questions
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 08:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for this excellent information regarding my Speer(Spear) family research in Magherafelt Castledawson. I wasn't able to make a connection but your knowledgeable information gave me clues for further research and very likely could help others in their search.
Sincerely, caramarie

Offline MSpeer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 14:14 BST (UK) »
My gggrandfather William Speer married at Castledawson Pres. Church in 1833. He was listed then as living at Ballynocker, which is off Curran Road a couple of miles out of Castledawson. Spelling was a problem for me when first searching because his marriage was recorded as Spears (English spelling) then on his children's  baptismal details it was recorded as either Speir (Scottish spelling) or Spear (English spelling). His death details (1872) at Ballynocker, record him as Speer (Irish spelling) and are available through the General Registry in Dublin because it was after 1864.
One son (Samuel) out of 4 stayed in Ballynocker. The other 3 emigrated to Australia and used the Irish spelling of Speer.
Samuel plus his wife and most of his children were buried (as Speer) in Christ Church graveyard, Church of Ireland, Castledawson. However, several other people with the surname Speer (not directly related to me) are buried in the graveyard at Castledawson Presbyterian Church (see  www.discovereverafter.com).

Samuel Speer of Ballynocker is in the 1901 household census.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 23:06 BST (UK) »
Spelling wasn't standardised until fairly recently so it's not uncommon to find lots of different spellings for the same surname (sometimes more than one in the same document).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 April 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
I am going around in circles trying to locate the parents of John, Robert and William Speers who all immigrated to Tasmania, Australia between roughly 1866 and 1879.  Obituaries / death notices I have located on Trove (Australian website) for the boy’s passing states the parents to be Andrew and Mary Speers of Castledawson, Derry or Belfast, Ireland.

I have located two Andrew Speers passing away, one 20 June 1900 at Ballyknocker, Farmer with probate going to his son Andrew Speers who passed away 14 February 1920 at Ballyknocker.  This probate went to Isabella Dawson, sister.

I have also located Census for 1901 and 1911 for Andrew (died 1920).

John and Robert married in Christ Church (Anglican), Cullenswood, Tasmania.  John in 1869 to Catherine Scott and Robert in 1877 to Elizabeth Handley. 

Working out from dates given in their Obituaries and Headstones, John was born about 1846 and said to be the second son born to Andrew and Mary Speers.  Robert was born about 1854.  William was born about 1860 and passed away in 1893 age 33, he never married.  In his Obituary it states he was the youngest son born to Andrew and Mary Speers of Castledawson, Derry, with the parents being of “advanced age”.  I believe this family may be Presbyterian but this is not confirmed.

In some instances I have also located information under the surnames of Spiers, Speirs, Speres in records for Tasmania.

Has anyone else researched this Speers family please or have the ability of researching areas I am unable to gain access to from here? 

Cheers  Judi

Offline JackK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 27 December 21 18:15 GMT (UK) »
My GGrMother (Sarah Speers Carr/Kerr) lived in Ballynougher/Ballynocker, N.I. My GGrFather died and the property was left to Andrew Speers.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 27 December 21 18:39 GMT (UK) »
My GGrMother (Sarah Speers Carr/Kerr) lived in Ballynougher/Ballynocker, N.I. My GGrFather died and the property was left to Andrew Speers.

Also posted here-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=770228.msg6861925#msg6861925
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 27 December 21 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you JackK for your reply.  I had found Sarah Speers marrying Thomas Carr 16 May 1871 at the Castle Dawson Presbyterian Church.  I located 11 children born to this couple, quite a number of who settled in the USA.

I have passed on the Speer family information to my cousin to let her know the family history of the families she is descended from.

I have to admit I have not looked at this branch of the family for quite a while now.

Kind regards
Judi

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 07:37 GMT (UK) »
I had found Sarah Speers marrying Thomas Carr 16 May 1871 at the Castle Dawson Presbyterian Church. 

Link-
Sarah SPEAR to Thomas CARR
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1871/11342/8163500.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kiltaglassan for the link to irishgenealogy.ie

I have been using this website for quite a number of years.  It is my go to website when looking for later information.

As an aside, can anyone advise me why part of my message has been ruled through please as I did not do this.

Cheers
Judi