Author Topic: James Norman 1841 -1914  (Read 4119 times)

Offline leonab

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Norman 1841 -1914
« on: Sunday 24 February 13 22:32 GMT (UK) »
James Norman was my great grandfather and on the censuses I have found he states he was born in Swansea in 1841.  I have not found any birth records for him.  At the end of his life he was a travelling showman and over the years had been involved with a company called Sequah and had travelling freak shows.  He was greatly involved with the Showman's Guild and they erected a large monument to him in CHadderton cemetery and there are several obituaries in the Worlds Fair of 1914 to him and the details of a large funeral.  His children did not continue as travelling showpeople.  I am not convinced that he began life as a showman but I think he had brothers and sisters and that his nieces and nephews were showmen and women.  If anyone can give me any details of his family I would be very grateful as all his children are now dead and as often is the case I have no-one to ask about him.  I have plenty of information about his second wife with whome he had the children James Norman, Patrick Norman (died 1921 in Oldham and was engaged to a Granelli) Leonora Norman, Matilda Norman and Florence norman.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Norman 1841 -1914
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 February 13 23:59 GMT (UK) »
James Norman was my great grandfather and on the censuses I have found he states he was born in Swansea in 1914. 

Hello and welcome to RootsChat
Are you certain  you have the correct y.o.b. for James????

Or have you given his death year as birth year??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 February 13 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome from me too

Could he have been born a few years earlier than 1841?  There is this birth on freebmd

James Norman December qtr 1838   Swansea Volume 26 Page 417 

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 February 13 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a copy of James Norman's marriage certificate showing his fathers name

The 1841 census for the James born 1838 shows his parents as Robert (occ mariner) and Catherine - neither were born in Glamorgan

There is a younger brother John aged 10mths

Could this be the right entry?

Piece 1426/6/21/33

EDIT

I think the above James Norman died in 1842 as Robert & Catherine have another son James aged 17 in 1871
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 February 13 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Did he marry Emma Jane Ward in Norfolk in 1891?

Offline leonab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 February 13 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes I do have his second marriage certificate.  Father was William Norman deceased - French Polisher.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 February 13 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Just in case you can't find him in 1901 - he was in Ireland and one of Henrietta's sisters is with them

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Duncairn_Ward/Craigavad_Street/957698/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000312056/

Florence and James are not shown with them but Patrick is and also another daughter Matilda who appears to have been born in Nantwich

Births September qtr 1898

Matilda Norman Nantwich  8a 340

They had another daughter Leonora whilst in Ireland born 1901/2

He's quite elusive on very early census entries

Offline leonab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 February 13 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  Yes I had found him in Ireland and in 1911 in Manchester.  I would love to find parents and siblings though.  I suppose it happens to everyone but it is usually later up the tree.  Where is reply on this setup.  I am having dreadful trouble finding it - have just used quick reply.  You are very good looking like this.  I suppose I was hoping for cousins to respond lol

Offline leonab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 February 13 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Did you get the reply I sent this morning  :)