Author Topic: 1942 WW2 death of seaman John Mccarthy from Liverpool at Ramsay cottage hospital  (Read 4080 times)

Offline charneca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexandra towing co. 1942
Hi my granddad JOHN MCCARTHY apparently died in 1942 Whilst at sea-he was actually died in a hospital in Ramsay IOM- Amazingly considering what was going on in that area- his body was shipped back to Liverpool for burial in 1942!

the Alexandra towing company and the crew of several tugs were mentioned and thanked as were Lloyds INS in the obituary notices in the Liverpool Echo newspaper 25 Sept 1942 from his wife Annie McCarthy.I understand he was a marine fireman or similar.I do not know which tug he may have been on?

The employees of Alexandra Towing Co and members of crews of the tugs Coburg, Wapping, Hornby,Nelson and Formby for letters of sympathy and floral tributes. Also the Ramsey IOM Harbour master and RAF personnel of boat 216.What was going on then I wonder and why was an RAF boat there
His death was not recorded in UK- only in IOM but I now have the death certificate.
I would love to know which tug he was on -what happened and anything else really!! Many thanks

Moderator comment: another thread here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,637269.0.html. Since replies have already been posted there and to avoid confusion or duplication, please post any further information on that thread.  This topic locked.  Thanks