Author Topic: Reilly's - Templetogher Galway  (Read 9627 times)

Offline Coolcam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Reilly's - Templetogher Galway
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 February 13 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Mary Kate I think would be your grandmother's first cousin. Have sent you a PM with some details; think you need to log in and click 'My Messages'. Let me know of any problems.

Offline mtarmey59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 January 14 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Whitwickuser.

I have been researching Tarmey family history over the last few years. They originate from Templetogher, Williamstown, Galway. James Tarmey 1872 was born there. His Father Martin Tarmey born 1842 married Ellen Dillon 31 Jan 1866 in Williamstown.
I would like to know more information. I was very interested to read this forum and maybe there could be some connection.

Mark

Offline Whitwickuser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Burns, Grimley, Robinson, Reilly, Gould, Jayes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 January 14 18:13 GMT (UK) »

Hello Mark - apologies for the tardiness in responding - work commitments

The Tarmeys do appear in my family tree but I haven't had much joy finding a great deal out. I don't know if there is a link with your tree because my knowledge is very scant but what I do know is that my great great grandfather, Patrick Reilly (b around 1827) married a Mary Tarmey (b around 1841). The Reilly's were from Polredmon/Templetogher near Williamstown. I don't know where Mary & Patrick were married but presume it was in or around Williamstown. They had 7 sons, James (b 1858) John (b 1859) Thomas (b 1861) Patrick (b 1865) Martin (b 1871) Edward (b 1873) & Luke (b 1877). All bar Edward & Luke moved to Leicestershire (Whitwick or Loughborough) & married there. Luke remained on the farm just outside Williamstown while Edward seemed to move around - the family believe he moved to the US at some point after 1911. Luke married a Keneally/Connelly & had two children Patrick & Kate

Mary Tarmey's father was called John who I think was born around 1817 - this from an entry in the 1851 Census for Whitwick - John Tarmey 34 lodger married Farm Labourer from Ireland at Whitwick Waste Farm - we think its the right Tarmey & if they had heard stories from their grandfather it would go some way to explain why the Reilly's (O'Reilly's as they became) moved from the West Coast of Ireland to a small coal mining village in the middle of England

Not much help I fear, but let me know what you think - I'll keep an eye on my emails

Offline mtarmey59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 January 14 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for getting back to me.
My Great Grandfather James Tarmey 1872-1949 married Mary Tarmey 1887-1963
Both of them were Tarmeys. James was from Templetogher, where Mary was from Cloonmahara. Both in the parish of Williamstown.
James Tarmeys parents were Martin Tarmey 1842 and Ellen Dillon 1844.
Martin Tarmey 1842 father was called James Tarmey (No information but approx 1810/1820s)

Mary Tarmey above 1887-1963, her parents were Thomas Tarmy 1841 and Mary Knight 1846. Thomas Tarmey's father was Michael Tarmey.

Might be a bit confusing but it would be easier if you had a look at my family tree on Ancestry.com.
Send me on ur email address to mtarmey59@gmail.com and I can share my tree with you to give you a better idea.

Maybe your mary tarmey in your tree could be related .....

Offline Raomara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 February 16 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

The plot thickens in the link between Galway and Whitwick. There were 5 Irish Families in Whitwick in the 1851 census. 3 lots of Concannons, one of which was definitely from Galway, and my descendants James and Catherine O'Mara who we believe were also from County Galway. Concannon being a Galway name its possible that Edward, Micheal and John were brothers. I have seen another site linking the Concannons to Williamstown. I have never found any information on which parish or townland the O'Maras came from. I have searched for them on IrishRoots and findmyroots etc. I notice that the records for Williamstown/Templetogher are sparse. Out of interest how did you trace the Reillys to Pollredmond? Have you any idea what the link is between Whitwick and Galway? Is it possible/likely that the Reillys, Concannons and O'Maras all came from the same area of Galway.

Robert O'Mara

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 September 16 00:11 BST (UK) »
This is pure off chance  ??? and may help bring down my brick wall (hopefully)
My G/Grandfather x3.
Bernard Reilly/O'Riley/Riley birth about 1791/1796. Occupation Flax weaver.
1841 census- Barnsley, West Yorkshire - Dawson Hall - Occ - weaver.
1851 Ardsley, West Yorkshire, Occ - Weaver.
1861 Ardsley , West Yorkshire - Occ - Weaver.
Died 1868 Ardsley/Barnsley.

Poss married a "Mary" lord knows where ?? about 1826, as first daughter Ellen born about this time, also second daughter Catherine born 1826.
other children...James 1829-1880. Mary Ann 1832-1891. Margaret 1835-1902. John 1837-1841. Michael 1839-1865.
All born West Yorkshire.

Have spent the last lord knows how many years trying to break down this brick wall, and help would be appreciated, I know it is a long shot, but you never know. ;D
as always Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.