Author Topic: WHYTE/CUNNINGHAM search  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Gensnr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WHYTE/CUNNINGHAM search
« on: Wednesday 27 February 13 01:46 GMT (UK) »
This is a bit convoluted but I am hoping someone can help me sort this out. Some of this is Dunfermline but my request relates to Dumfries.
My ancestor John Burt (b 1654 Dunfermline) married Agnes/Annis Whyte (b abt 1650 Dunfermline). Her father was James (b 1624 Dunf) and his father was Thomas Whyte (b abt 1585) and his mother was Isobel Kellok (b abt 1589).
The records I have come across on familysearch show that her father was Robert Kellok and her mother was Margaret Cunningham.
I have found a record for a Margaret Cunningham/Paycolk/Pacok. She was born in abt 1563 and her father is David Paycolk and her mother is Isobel Cunningham, both born abt 1540. Another record now shows that Isobel's parents were Andrew Cunningham (b 1523 Kirkshaw Dumfries) and her mother was Janet Wilson (b abt 1523).
Now this is where I am puzzled... the records show that Andrew's father was also Andrew (b abt 1505 Glencairn Dumfs) and his mother was Agnes Douglas (abt abt 1503 Drumlanrig Dumfries).
From here back the ancestry is full of Earls, Lords and Knights.
It makes interesting reading but I don't believe this connection is correct as all my ancestors in Dunfermline are mine workers on estates.
Is there any way I can prove/disprove all this noble line, or should I just stop at Isobel Kellok and Thomas Whyte?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Gensnr ??? ???