Author Topic: The Home/Convent/Asylum of the Good Shepherd, Penylan, Cardiff  (Read 9460 times)

Offline Welsh Girl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
The Home/Convent/Asylum of the Good Shepherd, Penylan, Cardiff
« on: Wednesday 27 February 13 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I wonder if anyone knows of anything about this place please?  I have searched, but keep finding the same 4 or 5 lines that tells me it was for fallen women, built by the Marquis of Bute, and St Davids College is now on its site ..

Was it JUST for fallen women/night workers/single Mothers or did it function as a proper Asylum too please?

I have found a relative there on the 1911 census.  She was 23, but I can't see any young children that may/not be hers (and there are no whispers in the family of her having a baby) but I do know that she frequently went back for short spaces of time ... ???

I can't seem to find any more usable information about the place other than that - no photos etc

Many Thanks
Homer, Smith : Kington, & Tirphil
Davies : Carmarthen & Tirphil
Greenway : Cornwall, Bristol & South Wales
Nicklen : Exeter
Squire & Stone : Cadleigh & Exeter
Vigers : Exmouth
Smith : Corsham
Webber, Salter : Morchard Bishop
Evans, Balsom, Farrent, Salter, Shallis, Snell : Otterton & Heavitree
Thompson, Smith, Leek : Brynmawr & Monmouth
Davies :  Merthyr & Neath
Ridd : George Nympton
Dando : everywhere
O'Mara : Ireland & Wales
Manfield : Bristol & Cardiff
Pollexfin : Devon (var)

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
Re: The Home/Convent/Asylum of the Good Shepherd, Penylan, Cardiff
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 22:07 GMT (UK) »
There were many, all run by Nuns. I will send you a PM with the info :D

p.s) According to much of the information on websites it seems that a lot of the women taken in were pregnant and gave birth to illegitimate children. There was apparently a Roman catholic home(Blackweir Charitable Institution) for orphans and elderly in Cardiff that may have taken the babies afterwards.
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline judy2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 11:45 BST (UK) »
I have been researching the old Convent, Penylan. We used to visit in approx. 1964  when it was derelict and there was a nightwatchman living there -here is some history, which I hope you will find interesting :-

" THE SISTERS OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD, CARDIFF. TO THE EDITOR OF THE TABLET.

SIR,—The Sisters of the Good Shepherd have been established at Penylan through the kind liberality of the Marquis of Bute, who has built them a house and furnished them with the means of carrying on their holy work amongst the poor outcasts of society. These good Sisters are indefatigable in their exertions ; they have filled the house fuller than full, and the very corridors are crowded with beds ; but it is impossible work to find food and clothing for a large community of some fourteen or fifteen nuns and ninety women, fighting their way back, poor creatures, to virtue and to God ; but the Sisters are brave—they spare no trouble or cost ; quite contrary to their custorct they are driven to beg in the streets of Cardiff from door to door, and of the produce of their little farm-yard, furnished with two or three cows, a few fowls, and some ducks, they sell fresh laid eggs and fresh sweet butter and milk, and buy cheaper and rougher food for their own use. A little timely assistance would enable them to do their work better, and to go on without risk of exhausting their strength by their zeal and holy charity in the service of Christ's poor.
The address of these servants of God is, Convent of the Good Shepherd, Penylan, Cardiff.—Always yours in Christ, FRANCIS C. GALLINI, Chaplain. "

Offline Welsh Girl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 18:39 BST (UK) »
Thank You Judy2.  Do you happen to know where the record for the place are held (or are they behind cast iron gates) please ?  I don't think general history on the Convent/Asylum is going to helpme here, but it is definately fascinating to read, so thank you again.

Offline judy2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 October 13 18:58 BST (UK) »
Thank You Judy2.  Do you happen to know where the record for the place are held (or are they behind cast iron gates) please ?  I don't think general history on the Convent/Asylum is going to helpme here, but it is definately fascinating to read, so thank you again.
Hello there, sorry for the delay in replying.  You have probably tried this, but I think old church records should be held by Nazareth House, contact Cheryl Perryman
Position:General Manager
Address: Nazareth House
Colum Road
Cardiff
CF10 3UN - telephone 02920 220943 (this is the number for the care home, but they may be able to help or direct you to the right person)
Telephone:029 2022 0943 - hope some of this may help, kind regards, J.

Offline Welsh Girl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 October 13 16:50 BST (UK) »
I'll definately try that - thank you.  I didn't think I'd get very far as they are VERY protective about their older records/inmates etc.

Offline jennadomingues96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 April 15 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

My grandmother was also put into this convent in the twenties. She was always told by nuns that she was placed there for being an unruly child, however she always disputed this. It seems her mother placed her there to continue her life as a businesswoman, whilst my grandmothers father was a Spanish seaman and always away.

we are desperate to find records to find out why exactly she was placed there and for how long. If anyone has found records or knows a way then please get in touch!

Offline Staceyhol87

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 December 17 18:24 GMT (UK) »
http://childrenshomes.org.uk/list/MH12.shtml

According to that page, that particular home in Roth was for penitents and girls in danger. I have also been searching for information as my 2x great grandmother was there in 1881. If I manage to find out where the records are held I will let you know

Offline 3Chant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I am new to Rootschat and I would love to find records of the residents too. Somebody that I am researching was in the Cardiff Union Workhouse in 1891 where she gave birth to a boy. There is no father on the birth certificate. At the next census in 1901 it appears that she was at The Convent and Asylum of the Good Shepherd aged 27 and listed as a laundress. I suppose she would fit the then description as a fallen woman.  I can find no further trace of her after 1901. I would love to be able to verify that I have the right person through the records. Her son is listed at 15 Northcote Street children's home in 1901 age 9. So they had ben separated. The son went on to be a collier in the Rhondda and then went to Macedonia part way through WW1 where he was killed in action. Incidentally, I attended the Roman Catholic girls school built on the site of the Convent but was totally unaware of its history as a home for unfortunate women.
Miller Millar Moroney Burke Masterson Munro Phemister Wall Brophy Curtin Magan Thomson Galvin Price Foster Reid