Author Topic: Welsh Boxers, Mountain Fighters and Boxing in Wales  (Read 9847 times)

Offline welshboxinghistory

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Welsh Boxers, Mountain Fighters and Boxing in Wales
« on: Wednesday 27 February 13 22:15 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if I might put the feelers out amongst the members of this forum for assistance.  I wrote a book on Welsh boxing entitled 'Mountain Fighters, Lost Tales of welsh Boxing' in 2011, which tried to uncover some of the history of Welsh fighters (mainly bareknuckle) that were mostly active before the turn on the century, known as 'mountain fighters'.  The vast majority of these men have been forgotten, although there are some accounts in early Welsh papers relating to the more locally famous (or infamous) fighters. Some only receive mentions in later newspapers after they died - when it is related that 'veteran pugilist' so-and-so jones died..'

Since writing the mountain fighters book I am attempting to continue to gather together information on earlier boxers and later boxers up until the end of the second world war in the hope of releasing a further book on the history of Welsh boxing.  There are lots of prominent fighters from this period, some are fairly well known, like Jim Driscoll of Cardiff, Freddie Welsh of Pontypridd, Tom Thomas of Penygraig and Jimmy Wilde of Tylorstown.  I would be grateful for any references or information on any of the Welsh boxers of the first part of the 20th century, and am hoping that readers of this post might  have old photographs, postcards, or further information about any welsh fighters or relatives in old drawers, photo albums, or newspaper clippings or references, to be featured or used in compiling the book, credit for all pictures and info received will be attributed to the owner in the book.  Any information regarding these great forgotten welsh sporting heroes will be greatly received, no matter how small, sometimes the slightest clue as to their movements, even grave references, can help with trying to trace further details.  I will be happy to share the information I am collecting on these fighters with any family members or interested parties, and try to assist relatives with finding out more about their relatives when possible.  I am researching boxers from all areas of Wales, - so there are plenty of names, both big and small.

It would be a fairly long if not impossibly boring post to include all the names of Welsh boxers from the period in which I am studying - (about 1800 - 1950) but just to throw a few more well known names out from all areas of wales and times, 'boyo' driscoll, badger o'brien (maurice), john o'brien, billy eynon, redmond coleman, dan thomas - dan 'pontypridd', billy fry, johnny basham, jimmy wilde, dai roberts, percy jones, morgan crowther, frank moody, dave peters, george (young) dando, eddie morgan, sid (syd) russell, llew probert, darkie thomas, bill beynon, jim courtney, leslie williams, david john bowen, dai davies - 'young chips', llew edwards, gordon cook, johnny vaughan, george 'punch' jones, jack jones, lewis roderick, phineas john, cuthbert taylor, billy morgan, etc. etc. etc. to name just a handful.

I would very much like to be able to take copies of original photographs for use in the book if possible, so if there is anyone out there who might have any pictures of old welsh boxers and fighters I would love to hear from you.  Please feel free to contact me.   

thank you, Lawrence Davies

Offline gmonkjones

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh Boxers, Mountain Fighters and Boxing in Wales
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 April 15 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Lawrence

I've read your book, congratulations on that.

I saw your link below. My great uncle was Ginger Jones who was Welsh featherweight champion in the early 30's. His brother Harold fought a Londsdale belt, losing in controversial circumstances.

I have photos and magazine articles of them both.

You may already have this material but feel free to contact me.

Regards

Gareth Jones

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 April 15 09:51 BST (UK) »
I have this unreliable item of information. From my great-aunt's memoirs, written in 1964, mentioning her mother Clara Maria Evans, born October 1840:
Clara’s first love was the local prizefighter Tim O’Shenkin, who was devoted to her and used to go to the house every Sunday to ask might he carry the little maid to church. The roads in those days were without any ‘making’ and ladies wore pattens when they went walking.
So Tim O'Shenkin (whose spelling might be very different!) would have been active in the late 1840s, I would think.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 June 15 16:03 BST (UK) »
Billy "Kid" Hughes was my gt grandfather's brother. Paperweight champion in the 1920's possibly? His son has the belt and almost all of the flyers from his fights. I know he was a promoter and manager later in life, and I have a copy of his boxing licence.

He gets quite a few mentions in Vernon Ball's book "For The Love Of The Game".

I have a few newspaper clippings, and have pieced together a very small part of his boxing history
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg

Offline suelwinch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 January 18 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,

according to family stories, my Great Great Grandfather was a mountain fighter. His name was Thomas Biggs, and lived at Varteg, Monmuthshire, though born in Coleford, Somerset, in 1837. He died, described as "feeble minded" not long after the 1901 census.
I do have a photo of him, but sadly no other information about his role as a mountain fighter. I would be very grateful, if you ever come across any information on him, to share it. If you would like a copy of his photo, contact me at (*)
kind regards,
Susan Winch

Offline sunnybankboy1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 July 18 21:17 BST (UK) »
hi Lawrence my name is simon jones I help run a boxing club in port Talbot called the bulldogs. I have read your book mountain fighters and really enjoyed, on page 12 you have a picture of jim driscoll ,tom Thomas and Freddie welsh. I have a large original of this picture plus a few other photos we rescued from an old gym. im also looking for any info on a boxer from the 1920,s called ned noonan, I work in a residential home and neds son bernard is with us hes 92 ,if you jnow anything about him? all I know is he boxed about 20 times .many thanks simon jones (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 17:00 BST (UK) »
Is he this one?  https://www.boxinghistory.org.uk/Boxer_Ned_Noonan_Rhymney.htm

Son of Timothy and Harriet born 17 Oct 1895 died 15 Mar 1944

Offline Chrissie46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello there, my Great Uncle - Fred Jenkins was I am told - Heavy weight champion boxer of the Armed Forces during WW1.
  I have his DOB details and a photo of him in his Army uniform along with one of his brothers - my paternal Grandfather - Evan Jenkins - if they are of any interest.  Cheers Chrissie from Australia
Jenkins - Jones - Thomas - Owen - Matthews - Edwards in Glamorgan Wales.
Howe - Johnson - Morley - in Soham England.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Out of curiosity,I put "Professional Boxer" in the keyword section of a well known genealogy database with Wales as location,and it came up with 9 hits in the 1911 census,including 3 unrelated individuals staying in one household,and 3 on the 1939 register(including Tommy Farr).Using "pugilist" revealed 15 hits including 3 in a household in Wrexham in 1851,and in 1861 a William Thompson described as "Iron Turner.Pugilist Champion of England".I haven't explored the individuals to see if they were born in Wales.I'll leave it to others to think of other alternate terms!

Regards
Roger