Author Topic: Nelly brothers from perhaps Gort  (Read 9501 times)

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nelly brothers from perhaps Gort
« on: Friday 01 March 13 23:11 GMT (UK) »
A newspaper account from New Zealand in the 1880s mentioned that Michael Lewis Beresford Nelly served with the 88th Regiment of Foot in the Crimea and Indian Mutiny, along with 2 brothers John and James.
One New Zealand birth certificate of his children said he was born in Derbyshire, his death certificate on which informant did not know wife or parents names, said he was born in Ireland. (abt 1834)
Brother John Nelly sergeant with the 88th was born in Gort, Galway, Ireland about 1833, he enlisted 28 March 1851 in Lancashire
John was a Corporal in the 88th, haven't found his origins
There was a Michael Nelly with wife Mary Moran and family who emigrated from Gort to Australia in 1844 with possible matches for Michael and John but other son was named Feargus? no sign of James.
Any ideas how to find births and confirm parentage of these boys?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nelly brothers from perhaps Gort
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 March 13 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

do you have evidence that John Nelly was Michael's brother?
As you say there is a John is shown with 88th Regiment in Bury, Lancashire in 1851.

Griffiths Valuation (1850s) shows that there are Nellys in the Gort area http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/galway/beagh.htm
http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/galway/kiltartan.php

It is difficult to find any records so early for Michael as parish and civil records for those areas begin much later.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 March 13 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,
this is where I found the reference initially from the Papers Past website in NZ

NOTHING EXTENUATE, NOR SET DOWN AUGHT IN MALICE.
(To the Editor.)
Sir,-There have been so many falsehoods so very freely put forth in this district relative to my severance from the volunteer force, that in justice to myself and for the satisfaction of the officers and members of the volunteer force with whom I have been connected since July, 1863, I wrote to the Horse Guards asking to send me the names of my brothers who served in the Imperial Army in order to show the scandal-mongers their mistake, and I beg space in the columns of your valuable paper to publish the reply from H.R.H., the Commander in Chief, which I have just received through Colonel Shepherd, and also to ask you to publish the statement by General Whitmore to the Hon. Minister of Defence, with the remarks of the Hon. Colonel Haultain, which are herewith enclosed -I am,&c, M. L. B. Nelley. Union-st., Auckland, February 10,1888.
[We cannot find space for the enclosures, even were they proper matter for publication.. Their tendency is to show that Sergt. Nelley was dismissed on insufficient grounds. The communication from the Horse Guards shows that he and his two brothers, John and James, served in the 88th Regt., and the following is the record regarding our correspondent: Sergt. Michael L. Nelley-lndian Mutiny, medal with 'Central India' clasp. Crimean medal with clasps, 'Alma,' 'Inkerman,' and'Sebastopol.' Turkish medal. This man got the Medjidie, but no authority to wear it. "J
Auckland Star, Volume XIX, Issue 38, 15 February 1888, Page 2

Pity the other correspondance was not published.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 March 13 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
That sounds interesting!
As I said, John is in Bury in 1851. He perhaps did not enlist there though.
This is an interesting article about Connaught Rangers. http://www.kenripper.co.uk/JohnConnor/jc1.html
I doubt that the Nelly family going to Australia would be your family as John is in England in 1851.

Heywood

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 March 13 09:08 GMT (UK) »
This is shortly after that article.

Nelly

I have just read another letter praising him as a drill instructor. The spelling of his name varies.

Offline madmaud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 March 13 04:49 GMT (UK) »
I am also researching Michael Lewis Beresford Nelly and have come up against the same issues re his birth.  I can add the following from my own research:
A John Nelly (88th Foot Connaught Rangers)) was killed in the Crimea about 8 Sep 1855. He was wounded at the final attack on the Redan.  A James Nelly (same regiment) was killed at Cawnpore 22 June 1858.  Mother Catherine of Galway.
Michael Nelly enlisted in the 2nd Waikato Regiment on 21 Oct 1863 and was awarded the NZ medal for service in the NZ wars of 1860-70.  The Nominal and Descriptive Rolls for this Regiment are held at the NZ National Library Archives.  They show his birthplace as Malton Derbyshire.  This may be a misspelling of Milton, as I couldn't find a Malton in Derbyshire.  According to the enlistment details Michael's father's name was James.   Michael may also have been known as Matthew, but not in NZ.
Hope this helps.

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maud?

John Survived the battle at the Redan
1861 Worldwide Army Index
First Name(s):John
Last Name:Nelly
Number:2646
Unit:88th Foot (Connaught Rangers)
Regiment Stationed at:Shahjahanpore East Indies
National Archives reference:WO12 / 9070

John Nelly Sergeant of the 88th Foot resigned at Cawnpore, India,  13 May 1864, after serving 13 years 46 days 2 years 3 months in the Eastern Expedition, and 6 years 6 months in (East Indies) India.
Three good conduct badges
Crimea Medal with clasps for Alma, Inkerman and Sebastapol
The Turkish Crimean Medal
India Mutiny Medal with clasp for Central India.
He was severely wounded in the the attack of the Redan in the Crimea 8th Sept.1855
Private 28 March 1851 to 26 February 1854
Corporal 27 February 1854 to 9 May 1854
Serjeant 10 May 1854 to 15 February 1855
Court martialed and Prisoned 16 - 18 Febraury 1855
Private 19 Feb 1855 to 24 March 1856
Corporal 25 March 1856 to 31 March 1857
Corporal 1st April 1857 to 31 October 1857
Serjeant 1st November 1857 to 26 July 1861
Re engaged at Shaljihaupore Serjeant 27 July 1861 to 13 May 1864
14 May 1864 until discharged 2nd August 1864
It says he was born in Gort, County Galway, Ireland Enlisted 28th March in Lancashire.
He was 5 foot 8 and a half inches tall, hazel eyes, light brown hair he was aged 31 years 2 months old when discharged on 2nd August 1864, and was going to reside in Calcutta.

2646 John Nelly, severely wounded
London Gazette, Date:
26 September 1855
Issue number:
Page number:

Read more: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/all=Nelly+88th/start=1#ixzz2MXWdYVhf

Have been trying to find the death of James at Cawnpore in 1858, the university of Western Australia has a good selection of material on the mutiny in India, maybe if I can get down there I will find something on him and John.

Offline madmaud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 May 13 06:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry to take so long to reply.  Thank you very much for the records on John Nelly.  I had found his name on a list of casualties in the Crimea, with the notation 'seriously wounded' and had made the assumption that he had died from wounds, as I wasn't able to find any mention of him after that.
Are you researching the whole Nelly family or is there anyone family member in particular?  Michael Nelly is my husband's great grandfather.  We have a studio photo of him taken by Frank MacFadyen Photographers, 151 Barras Bridge, Newcastle on Tyne, England.  Michael is a young dandy in the photo, so probably taken in the early 1850s.
Regards Maureen

Offline Nellygort

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 July 14 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hello I just stumbled on this website juring a search . My surname is Nelly and I live in Gort. I have never heard of any of my fAmily fighting in the wars but it is an uncommon name and not many of us left!