Author Topic: Nelly brothers from perhaps Gort  (Read 9468 times)

Offline Kevinmoran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nelly brothers from perhaps Gort
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 July 17 03:13 BST (UK) »
MICHAEL AND PATRICK MORAN sons of WILLIAM MORAN
Background information found so far:
My ancestors Michael and Patrick Moran (my g-g-grandfather), we believe were tenant farmers in Gort, on the property owned by the Burkes called Marble Hill, but another branch of the family we tracked down in Australia were told they were from Athlone.
We can find Andrew Moran through the Griffith's Valuation at Cappagh, Lessor: Sir Ths J Burke and Michael Moran at Ballynakill, Lessor: Henry Pigott. Maybe they left Athlone to find work in Gort ???
Their father was William Moran, mother unknown. Based on their ages at time of transportation and death certificates Michael was born approx.1805 and Patrick approx.1808/1811.
Naming conventions:
Michael Moran married Mary Byrnes in 1844 (Australia) and died in 1848.
He had a son Patrick and we believe a daughter Mary J and a son William Moran
Son Patrick had eight children:
Michael J, Edward, William Charles, James Timothy, Mary Anastasia, Margaret Jane,Agnes Eugean and Patrick
Patrick Thomas Moran (my g-g-gf) married Mary McMahon (Australia) in 1855.
Patrick had seven children that we know of:
Michael, Mary, John Thomas, Patrick Denis, Margaret Ellen, William James and Winfred
Son Michael (my g-gf) had eight children:
Patrick Francis, Mary Mildred, Winifred May, Helena Aloysius, Kathleen Agnes, Celia Margaret, Owen Alphonzie and William John (my gf)
In March 1832 at the Galway Assizes there were about 27 Galway men convicted of being a Whiteboy in that same month. The following men were transported together on the "Eliza" in 1832:
Pat Manmon, Malachy Hardiman, Patrick Cannane, Michael Kelly, John Kelly, John Mulville, Edmond Mooney, Joseph Connors, Thomas Cavenagh, Laurence McDonagh, John Burke, John Gantley, Patrick Doolan, John Meskell, Patrick Hanna, John Larkin, Edmond (Edward) Naughton, Patrick Finn, John Heagey, Martin Heagey, John Sheedy, Michael Moran, Patrick Moran, Patrick Carey or Cazey, Patrick Halloran, Patrick Walsh, Patrick Hynes.
Thomas Keneally's "The Great Shame"
TERRYALTISM:
Up to the moment we write, there have been ... about thirty unfortunate individuals convicted under the Whiteboy Act, and therefore destined to spend the remainder of their lives in a clime far, far distant from their native homes - from the land which holds all that is dear to them in the world.
Galway Free Press, 31 March 1832.
Whilst it hints to this event there does not appear to be any other information on these convictions.
My Ancestors Conviction:
Record in Assizes (Court):
Michael Quinn, John Sheedy, Michael Moran, Patrick Moran and James Boland, whiteboy offence, judgement of death recorded.
Another newspaper article read:
James Boland, Patrick Moran, Michael Moran, James Sheedy and Michael Quinn for the assembling of arms and attacking the house of Martin Glynn (Glinn) in May Last: Guilty
Galway Advertiser 1st October 1831: Committed to Galway Jail 9th September by Walter Moloney Chief Magistrate at Gort: John Sheedy alias Silk charged having on 20th May aided by an armed party attacked the home of Martin Glynn (sometimes spelt Glinn) who was severely wounded. On same day he committed Michael Quinn charged with having on 28th August, aided by others, committed a burglary at Patrick Glynn's house who was wounded in the last attack - John Sheedy alias Silk aided him.
On their shipping records state a cousin of theirs was transported 12 years earlier:
Peter Larkin - cousin of Michael and Patrick Moran. Peter Larkin born in 1787 in Gort and died in 1879 in Dapto NSW. Tried with Gleeson and Patrick Staunton in Galway Ireland in August 1820 convicted at the Galway Assizes for burglary and seditious practices. Patrick Staunton was not indicted on the capital charge. Peter Larkin and Gleeson were sentenced to death but Larkins was reduced to transportation for life. Peter Larkin and Patrick Staunton sailed from Cork on 16/06/1821 and arrived in NSW on 07/11/1821 on board the "John Barry"
Transportation:
Both Moran brothers were convicted and transported to Australia from Cork on the ship "Eliza" in 1832 with the other Galway men convicted of being Whiteboys. I am unaware of the outcome for James Boland and Michael Quinn as they may have had the judgement of death upheld.
If there is any information on the above convictions of these Galway men that you may have, or any direct link with Michael and Patrick, I would love to hear from you.

Offline jozi2222

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 May 18 09:05 BST (UK) »
hi kevinmoran, my ancestor is John Sheedy Silk/Silke. John was transported on the Eliza 2 in 1832 with your ancestors.
i have newspaper clippings of the trial etc.
I would love any information?
do you have any information on their families back in Ireland.
Looking forward to hear from you.
jozi2222

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 May 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
Registers https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0623  start too late
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 May 18 12:35 BST (UK) »
mentioned on find my past

http://www.findmypast.co.uk

Offline RalphMackey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Interested in helping people with Irish Research
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 July 19 06:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin - thanks for your posting there is a lot of good material on this group of Whiteboys and their conviction.  You have filled in some blanks for me. Malachy Hardiman, one of the Whiteboys you listed, was my 3rd GG-father. I have recorded all the information I have on him at https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/KD9T-85R .  I have some details on where Malachi was born as he was quite specific about the place in 1862 when his son was registered. My analysis of this is on a discussion on Familysearch (Copied below). His birth location may help with co-locating these people or not:

Where and when was Malachi Hardiman born?
Malachi was born between 1811 and 1817 (1,2,3,4) in the County of Galway (1,2,3,4) in a place pronounced 'Barnway'.
'Barnway' is the anglicised phonetic rendering of the name of his birthplace he told the clerk in 1862 when his son
James William Hardiman's birth was registered. We know that 'Barnway' is in County Galway although there is literally
no such place of this exact name.
Happily the public library in Galway has a website that provides the reverse engineering of angliscised place names into
the actual Irish placename. So without giving a spoiler try this experimemt:
Step 1) Navigate to http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/place
Step 2) Enter the placename Barnway into the 'Enter place name' field
Step 3) Select the 'Sounds like' option
Step 4) Before you press 'Search', repeat the name Barnway 3 times in your best irish accent
Step 5) Click the 'Search' button
Step 6) The result is 3 references to a place called Barnawee aka Barney Wee
Step 7) Now repeat the name Barnway 3 times in your best irish accent - it is the same place name!

- Barnawee / Barney wee with the names standardised to Barnaboy, precipices in the civil parish of Ballynakill in
 the barony of Ballynahinch.
- Barnawee standardised to Barnaboy, a townland in the civily parish of Kilkivery and the barony of clare.

The 3 places listed, 2 a precipice and one a townland, have all been standardised to the name Barnaboy.
The Barnawee townland in Kilkilvery civl parish is the only 'livable' place of the three - as living on precipices is problematic.
Kilkilvery civil parish has several villages (5), i.e. Ballycolgan Upper and Lower; Caltragh and Skeaghbeg and includes the townland of
Barnaboy (aka Barnawee) which is described as "Proprietor Charles Blake, Esq., Merlin Park, Co. Galway. All let to Pat Lynch, Esq.,
 Clogher, Co. Mayo, under a lease of 21 years. Rent 55 shillings per acre. On the western extremity of this townland stands the
handsome cottage of Barnawee or Moyne Hill, commanding a prospect of the picturesque country around etc. Co. Cess 14d. paid per
 acre half yearly. No antiquities.".
Banaboy was situated as (6) "In the North West corner of the parish, bounded on the North and West by the parish of Shruil, Co. Mayo,
South by the parish of Killursa and townland Ballyfruit and on the East by Thoneroe. In the Barony of Clare and County of Galway".
Although there are villages across Kilkilvery civil parish, Malachi or his parents, as they lived in Barnaboy, were probably cottiers
in the Barnaboy townland - townlands essentially being a farm or farms anyway. Sizewise Banaboy townland is 209 acres 1 rod and 2 perches
in area and in 1840 had buildings on it - to the value of 38 pounds (6).

From a genealogical perspective the following is known about the location and could lead to search options:
- Townland: Barnaboy aka Barnawee
- Civil Parish: Kilkilvery
- Barony: Barony of Clare
- County: Galway

So any references to the surname Hardiman in and around this locality woud be of interest.

(1) 43 years old on birth certificate of dau. Emily on 20 Jun 1858 (born abt 1815 in Galway County)
(2) 45 years old on birth certificate of son James W. on 28 Mar 1862 (born abt 1817 Barnway<sic> County)
(3) 50 years old on birth certificate of dau. Margaret on 29 Aug 1866 (born abt 1816 Galway County)
(4) 72 years old on death certificate and tombstone on 27 Mar 1883 (born abt 1811 co. Galway)
(5) See http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/parish/29927 noting that the quote is from the 1840s which is when Malachi was still there.
(6) See http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/place/29959

Mackey in Clare; Delaney, Fahey, Stanford & Hardiman in Galway; Owen in Down; Minahan in Kerry; Hourigan, Kennedy in Limerick.

Offline RalphMackey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Interested in helping people with Irish Research
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 July 19 06:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin - I forgot to ask but do you have the citations recorded of these Whiteboy newspaper and Assize records etc you are referring to so I can add them to Malachi Hardiman's record (KD9T-85R) on FamilySearch? Thanks Ralph
Mackey in Clare; Delaney, Fahey, Stanford & Hardiman in Galway; Owen in Down; Minahan in Kerry; Hourigan, Kennedy in Limerick.

Offline Galwayancestors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 June 20 12:11 BST (UK) »
hi kevinmoran, my ancestor is John Sheedy Silk/Silke. John was transported on the Eliza 2 in 1832 with your ancestors.
i have newspaper clippings of the trial etc.
I would love any information?
do you have any information on their families back in Ireland.
Looking forward to hear from you.
jozi2222

Hi I am researching the White boys of Galway that travelled on the Eliza ship. Email
(*)
Would love to know more about their stories.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php