Author Topic: Greenbank Presbyterian Church Parish Muff Co. Donegal graveyard lookup request  (Read 16226 times)

Offline DoireM

• RootsChat Senior
  • Spero In Deo
    • View Profile
Re: Greenbank Presbyterian Church Parish Muff Co. Donegal graveyard lookup request
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 June 14 21:07 BST (UK) »
Welcome Doug,

There are Weir's living in Aught to this day. 
Crowley : Kilmaley Parish, Co. Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
Bradley: Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
McCallion:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal. Ireland
Margey/Margay:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
Donnellan / Donlan:  Carhunagry, Co. Clare
Sullivan: Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
James:  Derry/ Donegal / Wales.
Haren / Harhen:  Co. Clare, Ireland
Murphy: Kinturk, Kilmaley, Co. Clare.
Friel:  Aught, Ture. Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal.
Cassidy:  Limavady, Co. Derry.

Offline dsmithfl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greenbank Presbyterian Church Parish Muff Co. Donegal graveyard lookup request
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 June 14 05:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Helen,
The names that you mention are not the ones in the line I have traced.  I am connected through Esther Anne Weir, daughter of Joseph Weir of Aught, as detailed in her marriage record.  Since she is an Esther, this fits with the Joseph who's wife was also an Esther, although I hadn't proved that yet.  Esther Anne (called Essy Anne) married Robert Short of Drung in 1860.  Their daughter, Mary Jane Short, married Joseph Warnock, of Gulladuff, in 1895.  Their son, William James Warnock, was my grandfather, and married Susanna McCandless of Gleneely in 1924.  They left Ireland for Brooklyn in the 1920's.
That's an interesting possibility that Rachel may have been part of the same family as Essy Anne.  I will have to do some research on that end.
Thanks for the reply!  This is great!
Doug

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 30 June 14 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hello again Doug: I've had another look at the inscription on the Weir family grave at Greenbank church (almost certainly your line); to sort out the relationships in my own mind, I've made up the attached table, which may be useful to you. Good luck with your search!  Cheers  :) Helen
Anderson, Wylie,(Glasgow Scotland) Gallagher and Weir, (Co. Donegal, Ireland to Glasgow, possibly also to Canada) McCormack, (Ireland to Scotland),  Leigh, (England to Australia) Thomas (England to New Zealand)  Hatfield and Hoare (England to Australia) Bacon (England to Australia) Parenti (Italy to Australia) da Silva (Azores to New Zealand)

Offline dsmithfl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 01:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen, thanks for the table, it is a great help.  I will try to follow up on some of those names.  Thanks again!

Offline anne martina

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 June 15 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, my name is anne weir and I live in aught...my parents are eileen and kenneth weir.

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 03:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Anne:  :) Thanks for posting on this topic: we may be related, though I suspect you have a more direct connection to another Rootschatter (see the last couple of posts)!

As you will see from my earlier posts, I am looking for Joseph Weir, a farmer of Three Trees and his wife Rachel (nee Weir of Aught), who were the parents of my great-grandmother, Rebecca Weir. (It seems there were two men named Joseph Weir, one living in Aught -your relative? - and mine, living in Three Trees at the same time in the 19th century - with separate families, but perhaps they were related somehow).  Both Joseph and Rachel were shown as deceased on Rebecca's 1902 death record in Scotland: the informant on that record was Rebecca's husband, John Gallagher.

I haven't found graves for either Joseph or Rachel at Greenbank, so perhaps they were buried at Knowhead. 

Any light you can throw on the Three Trees connection would be very welcome!

Thanks again for posting! :-*  Helen
Anderson, Wylie,(Glasgow Scotland) Gallagher and Weir, (Co. Donegal, Ireland to Glasgow, possibly also to Canada) McCormack, (Ireland to Scotland),  Leigh, (England to Australia) Thomas (England to New Zealand)  Hatfield and Hoare (England to Australia) Bacon (England to Australia) Parenti (Italy to Australia) da Silva (Azores to New Zealand)

Offline Louise65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 27 August 16 12:28 BST (UK) »

I’m new to family research and came upon this old thread when looking for information on my Gt Gt Grandparents John Allen and Margaret Weir.
Margaret Weir of Three Trees was the sister of Helenjean’s relative Rebecca so we would be some kind of cousins?

I found from this thread  (thanks for the information ) that Joseph Weir, a farmer of Three Trees married Rachel Weir of Aught.
There was also a James Weir of Three Trees whose son Joseph was born in 1856, his mother was not named. Perhaps Joseph and James Weir were brothers.

John Allen married Margaret Weir of Three Trees in 1866. Their family were all born in Three Trees.

I’m also looking for information on John Allen. All I know is that his address was L’Derry on his marriage record, he died in 1897, aged 57 years, so was born around 1840.
His father, James Allen was a farmer. I have no idea where he was born or where his father James farmed.
Any ideas on where to look would be most welcome , I don’t live in the area so can’t check the graveyards.

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 28 August 16 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Louise: great to hear from you!  You have actually supplied me with years of birth and death for John Allen that I didn't have.  I can't add much, I'm afraid, to John's story, except that according to the marriage record, he was a Shoemaker by trade and I would have thought they would've lived in town, rather than at Three Trees, but as you say, all seven kids were born at Three Trees. 

As you will have discovered, there are several Allen families in the district and there are also quite a few Weir families - many using the same given names generation by generation. As well as Rebecca, Margaret Allen, nee Weir (b. 31 Jan 1839 d. 19 May 1915 at Three Trees) also had a brother Robert Joseph b. 4 Jun 1853 - he never married and died on 8 Nov 1919 at Three Trees.

My great grandmother Rebecca b. 1 Jan 1848 married John Gallagher on 14 Feb 1878 at Greenbank Presbyterian Church, Muff Parish.  She died in Glasgow on 14 Jan 1902 of pneumonia; her husband John was the informant, and indicated that both her parents were deceased at that time. John married again in 1912 and died in 1928.

Rebecca & John Gallagher (m. 14 Feb 1878 at Greenbank Presbyterian Church)  had three children, all born in Ireland: two sons, Joseph (b. 10 Feb 1879, d. 18 Feb 1937), John, b.1884 d.1953 and Margaret Jane (my grandmother).  They went to Scotland, and all three children married in Scotland: Joseph to Margaret McLellan and John to Elizabeth McMillan.  Joseph and Margaret Gallagher had a son and two daughters; the two daughters never married and the son married but had no children: so that leaves my grandmother, Margaret Jane b.24 Dec 1888 d. 12 Jun 1974; she married John Anderson and had one daughter (my mother) and four sons, the last son dying either at birth or soon afterwards (they came to Australia in 1920).  John and Elizabeth Gallagher married in 1910 and went to the USA.  They had no living children (a daughter lived only two days). John died in 1953 and Elizabeth died in 1966.  So that means that my line is the only one left from the marriage of John Gallagher and Rebecca Weir.

I hadn't considered the James Weir of Three Trees that you found - as you say, he could be a brother to Joseph, father of Margaret Weir: certainly the name he gave his son seems consistent.

I do hope this is helpful and will be happy to share anything I have with you.  Regards Helen

Offline Louise65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 14:38 BST (UK) »
Helen, thanks for your reply.
Your branch of the family seem to be well travelled! So far mine are all in Ireland.
I'm glad you found John Allen's date of death useful, I paid for the certificate in the hope that it would help me find a birth record but I'm still looking.
I'm still a novice at this so I''ll have to be patient.
Good luck with your research.