Author Topic: Help! Confusing maternal line  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help! Confusing maternal line
« on: Saturday 02 March 13 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello, im trying to trace my direct maternal line. I have gotten back to Prudence Littley (alias parsons) bapt. 7/6/1778 halesowen, daughter of Gabriel and Sarah.
It would seem that there was either two gabriels in the area or Sarah was also known as Mary.
There is a marriage in 1769 St. John the Baptist's Church, Halesowen to Gabriel Littley and Mary Muchall. But i can not find one between a Gabriel and Sarah.

Can anyone help?

Tom
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Confusing maternal line
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 March 13 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Also Prudence married Benjamin Haddleton 24/12/1798 St. Thomas' Church, Dudley, Worcestershire if that is of any use.
Gabriel was the son of Benjamin Parsons and Martha Harvey, and was baptised in 1744 St. Giles' Church, Rowley Regis, Staffordshire

Tom
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Confusing maternal line
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 20:45 BST (UK) »
Still havent got anywhere with this. Anyone think they can help?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 October 15 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom
Have you checked the original? I see there are no other children for the couple ,could it be a transcription error?
Have you found a burial for Sarah or a burial for Mary before 1778?
It could be the same couple and there has been an error somewhere along the line.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 October 15 13:14 BST (UK) »
I havent seen the original, so that would definitely be a good one to check up!

Gabriel and Mary have children between 1771 and 1786, meaning Prudence was born right in the middle in 1778. Could it be possible she was illegitimate?

Offline momo22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 October 15 13:19 BST (UK) »
According to a tree on A*****y Garbiel and Mary baptised children before and after the baptism of Prudence which would either mean Gabriel married a Mary who then died, married a Sarah who died and then married another Mary or it is some kind of error.
This happened on my family tree where the mother's name was incorrect on the baptism record.

Of course you need to check the veracity of the tree on A****Y  ;D

Karen
Povey/Upton/Bevan/Harvey/Powell/stokes staffs
Fellows/Overfield/Fullwood Wor
Meadows Liverpool
Timbrell Glos

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 October 15 13:21 BST (UK) »
Id never thought of that possibility! I've only found the one marriage using online resources

Tom