Author Topic: Compatibility for 32bit Paint Shop Pro on Win7 64bit  (Read 4286 times)

Offline falcybe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Compatibility for 32bit Paint Shop Pro on Win7 64bit
« on: Saturday 02 March 13 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jim confusion,

I have just found my dvd which I had purchased many moons ago and followed your guide almost to the letter. I right-clicked the install.exe within the dvd instead of copying it to my hard disk and followed the on-screen instructions to successfully install PSP. It is so nice to have the programme back again.

The only funny thing was at the end when Windows asked if it had been successful (Microsoft chose XP compatibility on my 64bit Win7 machine) and then tried to save the settings to the dvd, hmmm. I ejected the dvd and nothing untoward happened.

However, on first use, the help files would not open but Microsoft immediately directed me to their relevant help pages where I had to
1) install WinHlp32.exe by following their guide. It is very good for when I tried another path when the PSP help didn't work after opening (it didn't find macro 1037 so no help topics were shown), MS said it was not suitable for me. So everything is done correctly, automatically.
2) follow MS help and run the programme "let Microsoft Fix it for me" to unblock the macros.
Without any re-boot the help programmes then ran perfectly well.

cheers, falcybe

Falcybe:
I used PSP on Win98 and XP but forgot all about it with vista, will now try with Win7 64 bit, what a great image program.

If you have the .exe file (or any other) on a cd/dvd, you will need to copy it over to your desktop.
Right mouse click the .exe file, select properties at the bottom of the dialog, then select the compatibility tab.
 Check the box: Run this program in compatibility mode for, and select  a windows version,
as a minimum try Windows XP Service Pack 3; at the bottom click Apply, then OK.

You should now be able to install the program. You may need to use admin rights.

Best wishes,

Jim
Hayden Cowan Weir Jowett Barclay Howard Gooch Joiner Rayner Ash Travers Coltman Samuel Falconer Lacey Croton Clarke Robinson Alden Burroughs
Ford Lusty Jones Wice Wise Scorey Rayner Harding Bacon Chambers and lots more
Click on the little house on the left to go to our site

Offline confusion

• RootsChat Senior
  • I was born poor - and still have all of it
    • View Profile
Re: Compatibility for 32bit Paint Shop Pro on Win7 64bit
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 March 13 23:52 GMT (UK) »
falcybe:
The only funny thing was at the end when Windows asked if it had been successful (Microsoft chose XP compatibility on my 64bit Win7 machine) and then tried to save the settings to the dvd, hmmm. I ejected the dvd and nothing untoward happened.

That was the reason I explained about copying the .exe file to the desktop but, it appears to have worked.

However, on first use, the help files would not open but Microsoft immediately directed me to their relevant help pages where I had to
1) install WinHlp32.exe by following their guide

Yes, M$ in their infinite wisdom has removed the WinHlp32.exe file from Vista onwards.
This caused a lot of problems with users  accessing the help files in many programs and
M$ made it available as a separate download. I keep a copy on a thumb drive.

Glad to see you have got PSP up and running.

Jim
Willey, Berry, Cox, Davis, Haddock, Hutton, Griffiths/Griffin, Tanner - Worcestershire
Cox, Dudley, Harris, Moore, Neville, Payne - Warwickshire
Chambers, Douds, Dryden, Given, Hamilton, Hassan, McPherson, McWhirter, Simpson, Taggart, Vauls, Whiteside - Ireland/Scotland, Northumberland
Challis, Halls, Heady, Grove, Lawrence - Essex
Foxwell, Imm, Ward - Gloucesteshire
Heady, Collis, Griffin - Hertfordshire
Hurling - Middlesex
Willey, Imm - Monmouthshire
Imm, Hamilton, Hedge, Majury, Sollis - US

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find a paint programme that will work with Win 8.   Will anything that is known to work  on 7 be OK. I have asked a couple of sellers , but even they don`t know  ???
Thanks.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline falcybe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Look here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-hk/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

This is the official Microsoft site and a couple of things they say on this page (if you don't want to look for yourself) are:
If your PC is currently running Windows 7, your files, apps, and settings will easily transfer toWindows 8
and
Windows 8 generally works with the same apps and devices that work with Windows 7, but in some cases, a product might need an update, or you might need to uninstall and reinstall it after you upgrade

So in general the answer to your question is yes, but if you are still worried then post the names of a few programmes you like the look of here and we'll look on the companies' web sites to see what they say.
Hayden Cowan Weir Jowett Barclay Howard Gooch Joiner Rayner Ash Travers Coltman Samuel Falconer Lacey Croton Clarke Robinson Alden Burroughs

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Adobe seems to do a lot, but choosing the right one is the problem. I actually had an "online chat" with them today and they advised me to take a subscription at £43 odd a MONTH. :o
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline falcybe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Ouch, for a 60$ or £40 once off payment you can download paint shop pro onto your computer, it is a lovely programme
http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4900067&cid=catalog20038&segid=8100002&storeKey=us&languageCode=en
and worth every penny of this price