Author Topic: Henry MILLWARD of Darley Dale  (Read 5709 times)

Offline Welsh Jan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry MILLWARD of Darley Dale
« on: Saturday 02 March 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
I have the marriage of Henry MILLWARD to Ann ALLEN (ALLOW) on June 2, 1703 at Darley. Henry's birthdate is c.1678 and his birth place given as Darley Dale. Would anyone have access to the record of his birth, please? Any advice would be so appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Henry MILLWARD of Darley Dale
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 13 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jan....I have been loking at both the Darley Dale and the Darley Abbey records.......becasue some people confuse the two..But not you!!..you're in the right place Darley Dale............but the birth is not there!!
I have the marriage 05.05.1708 as you..i have the christenings.and the dates of at least six of their children..and I have what i am confident are  his parents..JOHN and Ann

First..its MILWARD not Millward..and Henry married ANN ALLIN

His parents were (I'm sure)..John and Ann....because I believe that the Ann Milward who died at Darley 14.10.1678..died in childbirth or shortly thereafter..which would explain to some extent why he was not baptised..........cetainly not in 1678.....though could have been baptised any time after that...........I have no evidence to support my proposition, but I have been at this a long time and my gut feelings often pay off........

Let me know what you think.

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Welsh Jan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 March 13 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning, Derek.
Thanks so much for trying to help. I had found the children,  James, Ann, Henry, Elizabeth, Mary and Hannah. -  James, christened 1 Jan 1704 who is my ancestor. I wasn't aware of Darley Abbey records so it is more by luck than judgement that I haven't confused the two! Or at least I hope I haven't confused the two along the line!
I had the marriage of Henry and Ann from Family Search as 02. June 1703 and that seemed to fit with my James but yours is 05.05.1708 which would be too late to allow for James to be born. Help!
Father Henry's birthdate from the marriage I had was given as c.1678 but I can't find a christening in any online search engine. There is one for a Henery Milward on 30 Jan 1650, Darley Dale, and I wondered if that could possibly be Henry's father. Henery's father is recorded as John.
What do you think?
Jan.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 March 13 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Mea Culpa Jan..so many dates scribbled down on small bits of paper..The marriage WAS 02.06.1703..and alongside that scribble is 05.05.1708.which is of course the baptism of their son Henry........
In case you don't have them..the baptism dates for the children are as follows:

James 01.01.1705
Ann 10.07.1706
Henry 05.05.1708..died 1766
Elizabeth 30.03.1710
Mary 21.04.1715
Hannah 07.09.1719

ANN ALLIN was baptised 03.10.1686 daughter of Nicholas and Mary nee BRITLAND, who were married at Darley Dale 11.09.1681.

I still think that the parents of Henry c1678 were John and Ann..and appears to have been the only child..its compelling that Ann died in 1678.........but I'm still working on it!

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Welsh Jan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 March 13 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Derek. I hadn't noticed the date was the same as Henry's baptism or I may have guessed the mistake. Easily done and a huge relief that I have the correct date recorded and can continue in relative confidence! ... Very grateful for the info on Ann ALLIN and her parents marriage.
Yes I had the baptisms of the six children but good to see that they are all correct.
Your belief that Henry's parents were John and Ann seems perfectly acceptable to me, if there is no other Henry Milward with siblings vying for the position. Thank you for continuing to work on it, for me. You are a gem!
Looking forward to your thoughts,
Jan.

Offline Welsh Jan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 March 13 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Derek,
Just checking through my files and wondered how you chose Nicholas ALLIN and Mary BRITLAND as parents of Ann ALLIN. I had found a burial for Ann ALLIN - Father Nicholas - on 18 Aug 1687 so had thought the Ann ALLIN baptised 03.10.1686 to be the same person.  Because of this, I had wondered whether George Allen was my Ann's father. His daughter Ann(e) was christened March 1677, Darley. Or is that Darley Abbey and not Dale?
Jan.

Offline Helen.eckersley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 June 13 22:10 BST (UK) »
I have recently traced all of my family and it led me back to darley dale. A member of my family married Elizabeth milward. We found there graves in St Helen's Church in darley dale alongside a lot of other milward graves. I just thought it was worth letting you know as I found all this very interesting.

Offline Welsh Jan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 June 13 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Helen,
Thanks for that. Yes I have guessed there might be graves at St. Helens Church and have sent off for the CD of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials so I can explore more. Hopefully I'll manage a trip there sometime. Best of luck with your research  :)

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 June 13 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan..should have asked me..I already have the disc!!..Good luck.

Derek.