Author Topic: Thornes Jessop in Hunslet, Leeds  (Read 9449 times)

Offline abenne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thornes Jessop in Hunslet, Leeds
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 07 March 13 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Malcolm H!  I have been looking through the site and have found interesting things in it and the other suggestions in the posts!

Offline Phil1313

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 August 18 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi. My grandad was Arthur Pemberton Thornes 25/11/1906. His mother and father were Fred and Alice Thornes. The went to America in 1912 but my great grandma Alice didn’t want to catch the Titanic because she had a “funny feeling” so opted to go in the September instead. Good job really or I wouldn’t be typing this now. Arthur had a son, Peter who married Pauline Dawson (my parents). I am Phillip and have a brother and sister, Steven and Janet. I had no idea there were so many of us although my niece did look into the family tree and found some distant relatives from Dewsbury and surrounding areas. Would love to know more. Are you related to me, that could be interesting? Would love to hear from you. Phillip Thornes

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 November 18 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Your great grandmother may not have been the only one to have had a 'funny feeling'. Lady Ismay intended to be on the maiden voyage of the RMS Titanic, but changed her mind. My mothers 'auntie' Mary Atwell (1879 to 1946ish) was her ladies maid, and would have gone too.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Phil1313

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 November 18 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Another lucky escape!

Offline nattal82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi @abenne

I have come across this thread from a while back and Phil1313 who replied to you is my uncle.
Arthur Pemberton Thornes was my great grandfather.
I currently have a tree on ancestry UK and I am tracing the Thornes side.
I have got back to Henry Thornes, who was John Lee Thornes father.
John Lee Thornes married Clara Ann Burton who died in around 1881 I believe but I think this is Fred Thornes mother as well as Lily Thornes mum (Clara possibly died giving birth to Fred?)
Anyway, Fred went on to marry Eliza Jessop and they went to America.
Looking at it all, Eliza went on to marry William Bindley I have no idea why.
A few of the Thornes went to the USA, including Annie Thornes who married William Randall, they went on to have a child called Hilda Edna. Hilda Edna married DeWolf Duncan Ruhwedel and had a daughter called Joyce. Joyce went on to marry Edward Lawrence Reinheimer.
My grandad Peter Thornes was Arthur Thornes son, Fred Thornes was his grandad and John Lee was my grandads great grandad. Peter Thornes remembers Joyce and think he met her once.
He said that Fred did have a step mum and she was mean to him, this could be Eliza.
I am stuck because when Eliza married William Bindley, on all the records in the USA it has their surname as Bindley, but he wasn't their father John Lee Thornes was.

I am interested to see what you have if you're wiling to share, and likewise I will do the same. I think somewhere down the long line we are related in someway and I am keen to find out more on the Thornes side that went to the USA.
If you would like to talk further, please let me know.

Thanks
Natalie