Author Topic: SHERLOCK? Not so elementary, my dear Watson.  (Read 383 times)

Offline bungleberry

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Hmmm. Looks as if the facecream didn't work.
    • View Profile
SHERLOCK? Not so elementary, my dear Watson.
« on: Sunday 03 March 13 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte SHERLOCK was my g-g-g-g-grandmother. Actually she was baptized as SHARLOCK (only one of the several variants of the name). This took place at St Margaret’s Church, Angmering on 26 May, 1744. The daughter of Thomas and Mary, she appears to have had at least four SHARLOCK siblings and four SHERLOCKs, all of whom were baptized at Angmering.

I know little of her parents. Thomas married Mary (née TUB/TUBB) at Mottisfont , Hampshire on 30 September, 1735. He was buried at Angmering on 11 April, 1780. Mary survived him, being buried with him at St Margaret’s on 9 February, 1795.

Charlotte married Dirk VAN DER PANT on 27 April, 1777 at Nicolaaskerk, Utrecht, in Holland. One must wonder how they met! Dirk soon became Netherlands vice-consul at Mogador (now Essaouira) in Morocco, but died there in 1783, leaving two very young sons of the marriage. Charlotte returned to England at some point, living in central London. Later she took up a post as housekeeper at the Hertfordshire home of James LOCK, the celebrated hatter of St James. Their relationship seems to have been somewhat greater, however, for banns were called - although a marriage never took place. She died in Marylebone on 15 June 1805.

Charlotte’s known siblings were:
   Thomas (baptized 21 May, 1739),
   Robert (baptized 20 July, 1740),
   Richard (baptized 7 April, 1742),
   Mary (baptized 24 December, 1745),
   Nimrod (baptized 5 October, 1749),
   William (baptized 8 October 1754),
   Elizabeth (baptized 23 September, 1756),
   Arthur (baptized 9 October, 1758).
They have all proved very difficult to pin down, not least because the surname and its variants are so very common in the county. Any further information (or corrections) which you folk can supply would be warmly welcomed!
ABEL(L), 18c, Winstone GLS and around
ASHCROFT, mainly 19c, Aughton, LAN
GIBBINS, all, Miserden GLS and around
HAGUE, mainly Malton, YRK but they got around
HAVILAND etc, 17-19c, Winstone GLS and around
HAVILAND etc, 16c, Poole DOR
HAVILAND etc, 15-16c, Guernsey CI
HERBERT, 18-19c, various GLS
OCCOULD etc, 17c, wherever in GLS
TURK(E), 18c, various GLS
VANDERPANT/VAN DER PANT, all !