Author Topic: Wards of Dublin  (Read 2672 times)

Offline oze

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wards of Dublin
« on: Thursday 07 March 13 23:23 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information on the Ward family of Dublin. John Joseph Ward, an attorney had a son Philip Augustus John Ward (born 1841 Dublin, died 1906 Bermondsey).

The Wards were a Roman Catholic family and appear to have attended St. Marys. Philip Ward, a stationer, married  Charlotte Lodge (born 1845 Woolwich, Kent) in Liverpool, Lancashire in 1865 (residence listed as 65 Portland Street). Philip and Charlotte had four children: Richard John (born 1866, Liverpool), Philip Augustus (born 1868, Liverpool), Adelina Mary (born July 21, 1870, 58 Irishtown Road, Donnybrook, Adelina’s baptism is recorded in the Irish Genealogy Church Records) and Helena Agnes (born 1873, Dublin).

The eldest son Richard John, a stationer’s assistant, married Norah O’Duffy (born 1865, Dublin) in 1890 in Bermondsey, London. Norah Ward’s father was John O’Duffy and her mother Mary Anne Jones. Norah’s older brother Kevin Emmett O’Duffy (born 1863, Dublin), a dental surgeon, married Pauline Campbell in 1862, Dublin. They had a first son called Eimar Ultan O’Duffy (born 1893) who attended Stonyhurst, Lancashire, became a dentist and then an Irish writer of books such as The Wasted Island (1919). Norah’s younger brother Niall (Neal), born 1867, also a dentist, is living as a boarder with Philip and Charlotte Ward in the 1891 census.

Although I can find information on the O’Duffy family as yet I still cannot find brothers or sisters for Philip Ward, a record of his birth in 1841 or the name of his mother. Philip is in a number of census records in England after his marriage in 1865 (1881 Exeter, 1891 and 1901 St. Olave, Bermondsey). The 1881 census records that he is from Summer Hill. In 1876 he, Charlotte and family are living in Donnybrook at 13 Londonbridge Road.

I know that another Rootschat member has posted questions about this Ward family (Summerhill, Dublin, Aug 24, 2012) and I have contacted them on this topic but there are still many unanswered questions. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Wards of Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 13 08:05 GMT (UK) »
the previous Ward topic and search is at this link -

Summerhill Dublin

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dscudd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 October 17 17:58 GMT (UK) »
I bought some documents recently at an auction in Hertfordshire and amongst them I found a photo. It's of a young boy called Kevin E O'Duffy and was taken in Dublin in 1870. He is pictured playing a drum and looks to be about 7 years old, so could well be the same person mentioned in the post. It's only a small photo and a bit faded but the boy is quite distinct.
A coincidence from the post is that my father and his family came from Bermondsey and his birth was registered at St Olave's in 1919.

Offline oze

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 October 17 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Kevin Emmet O'Duffy had a son of the same name who was killed in WWI. The photograph would have to be of the Kevin Emmet O'Duffy, Sr., the dentist who lived in Dublin. It would be interesting to see the photograph. The Ward and O'Duffy families who lived in Bermondsey lived on Catlin Street and some also lived on Yalding Road. Do you know which street your father's family might have lived on?

Offline dscudd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 October 17 17:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry but I don't know which street he lived on. The only thing he ever told me was that it was near Max Bygraves, because he used to see him around.
I'll happily send you the photo if you give me your address.

Regards

Derek

Offline oze

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek,
It looks like Max Bygraves was from Rotherhithe. I have found some ancestors, the de Gratte Maskens, living there. They were printers and they are linked to the O'Duffy family, including Kevin Emmet. Other family surnames with a connection to the above named are Ward and Thacker.
I do not live in England so posting a photo would cost money. Are you able to scan or photograph the picture of Kevin E?
Oze