Author Topic: Skelton cemeteries  (Read 10336 times)

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
Re: Skelton cemeteries
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 June 05 17:01 BST (UK) »
RuthieB,  Thanks, your answer warms my heart and reminds me of the people I met recently in Cumberland.   If you want, send me a personal message.  That way we won't take up space here.  Although the others may enjoy hearing what you have to say.   

Since there seems to be several interested in Skelton, I would guess they would like to hear more about the history of the area.  I hope to get there, so I know I would. 

I was intrigued by the geography of the area when I really looked at a map.  Although I imagine that mining played a big part of things when my families lived in the area.   

BTW, I mentioned Richard Bawden Dawe still living in 1901.  I didn't mention that he had remarried and his wife, Emma, was also in that census.  Her maiden name was Smeeth or Smerth. It's possible they visited family elsewhere.      RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 June 05 12:40 BST (UK) »
Having checked on the map, there is a bigger cemetery towards New Skelton where there might be more recent burials than at the old churches. It's been a while since I was in that area and I rarely went past the cemy when I was there.

My family (unbeknownst to me at the time) seem to have been working in the mines of the area. I seem to remember there is a mining museum (Tom Leonard's) at Skinningrove although I never visited and am beginning to wish I had!

I still have a history book of Skelton - there are some things you just can't throw out - which does have a section on the mines, but there is a rather good website dmm.org.uk which has info on lots of the mines in the north east and north yorkshire.  It even has the details of the accident which killed my gguncle William L Brown at Loftus Ironstone mine  in 1901.
Cheers, RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 June 05 02:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks, RuthB.  I will definately have a look at the website.  Many of the men and boys and some of the girls of my ancestors worked in the mines.  One  or two were deputy managers, one was a mine agent, most of them worked underground.  I've always wondered how many might have been killed in accidents.  Especially those that are hard to trace.   Maybe their grave was at the bottom of a mine. 

What dates does your book on Skelton cover?  I have a few questions, but will ask them on the personal message you sent.    RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 June 15 15:07 BST (UK) »
believe Skelton cemetery records now on Deceased on Line. Search for free but pay to view the registers
Penny

Offline Joed99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 January 18 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant website on the history of Skelton and nearby villages here ttp://www.skeltonincleveland.com/