Author Topic: John Sarsfield Casey - The Galtee Boy - born Mitchelstown 1846 - died 1896  (Read 7830 times)

Offline persimmondeb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Sarsfield Casey - The Galtee Boy - born Mitchelstown 1846 - died 1896
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 October 16 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Fortunately, I was able to find the record in the National Archives quite quickly. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Mitchelstown/Lower_Cork_Street/439271/ The Ellen Cusack listed is my great grandmother, so she'd actually  have been born around 1841 or 2, assuming the record is accurate. The Samuel F is my grandfather, who died when my father was small. The Michael J is Ellen's son or stepson, and my father's uncle. My father is also a Michael J, named for his grandfather.

D.C.

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 01:39 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I think the age on the census records is incorrect (people often gave an incorrect age on the census). I am 100% certain that John Sarsfield Casey's parents were Jeremiah Casey & Honoria Lewis and these are the names on Ellen's baptism record for 1855 as her parents.

Offline persimmondeb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I can see if I can find the photo of her grave and/or a copy of the family tree (I'm less certain that we have that). Unfortunately, my dad moves things around, so finding photos etc. can be difficult. I've been told she was the Galtee Boy's sister, and as far as I know that's so, but I don't have a lot of documentation. The parent's names sound right to me, but I'm not sure we've got it in print anywhere. She was definitely a Casey before her marriage, I have seen pictures of her, and there's a fairly strong family resemblance. If I can find pictures I can see if I can figure out how to get copies up onto here.

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 April 17 05:42 BST (UK) »
Hi - my name is Robert Casey and I live in Austin, TX, USA and have researched my Casey line for over 40 years. There are around 40 Casey males in the 1800 census in western South Carolina who arrived in South Carolina in the early 1750s (probably left Ireland after the great Irish crop failures of the 1740s). Around 25 % of the 60,000 Caseys living in the US today descend from this Casey line.

I am also the FTDNA admin for the Casey FTDNA project and a co-admin of the R-L226 project. R-L226 is the second largest known Irish only haplogroup. Around 80 % of its 522 members at 67 markers resided in Counties Tipperrary, Limerick, Cork and Kerry. This is for all individuals who can trace their line back to Ireland. The South Carolina line has tested positive for R-L226 which we now have established as Dal Cais in origin and Sir Conor O'Brien has tested positive for this line as well.

In the Casey project, we now have close to 100 Casey YDNA testers - but not even one Casey tester that currently resides in Ireland. I am willing to sponsor (pay for) one 37 marker test for anyone individual who is a male descendant of Casey born in 1850 or earlier in four counties mentioned above. The cost of this test is a $169.

Here are the conditions of the free test: 1) You would have to provide a brief summary of your Casey ancestry back to 1850 or prior (only a one page summary of your all male ancestral line); 2) that you would consider upgrading the test to 67 markers or would allow me to upgrade to 67 markers at a later date; 3) be willing to allow additional YDNA tests if your results are related to others in the US (Big Y test, Full Genomes Whole Genome test (medical data is omitted), individual YSNP testing at YSEQ, YSNP pack testing at FTDNA, etc.) This could require additional DNA samples due to three companies involved in the testing.

If interested, send me an email at the following email address (image copy to eliminate spam):

http://www.rcasey.net/DNA/Casey/Contact.html

Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland

Offline William Cusack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 February 21 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Alan, John Sarsfield Casey is buried in Mitchelstown.

Offline William Cusack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 February 21 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Initial post as Liam Cusack. This is the third under William Cusack