Author Topic: LANE family in Bedford  (Read 4702 times)

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
LANE family in Bedford
« on: Sunday 10 March 13 12:00 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for information on Henry Lane who was christened in Ghazeepore, India
on 17 Dec 1826. His parents were John Lane and Jane. Two other children were born in India,
either Ghazipur or Cawnpore: they were William born 23 Oct 1823 and Mary Ann on 17 Aug 1828.
Henry Lane married Elizabeth King, daughter of Robert and Sarah who kept an Inn in Bedford.
At the marriage the same street address is given for both families, that is, in Tavistock Street. Their
first child, Jane, was born in Cork, probably Youghal in 1856, and later children were born in
Bedford. Henry was a watchmaker and repairer in Bedford, and Elizabeth was a dressmaker.
Both died in Bedford in the 1890s.  These are not from my family but I would be most grateful
if anyone can throw further light on them, particularly who Jane was; what they were doing in India;
why the move to Cork, in fact any further details about the two families
Alexander
Stewart:Donegal
Babington: Donegal and Londonderry
Patton:Donegal

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: LANE family in Bedford
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 March 13 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch has a JANE Lane, Buried 30 August 1833, Cawnpore, Bengal, India, age 28, Married (born c 1805)

Although William was born 23 Oct 1823 he was not Christened til 11 Nov 1832 Cawnpore

Just throwing a theory out here;
Marriage;
31 January 1826, Berhampore, Bengal, India
John LANE, age 22
Jane WILLIAMS, age 19

The Burial looks good for Jane the other is just a theory.

John probably remarried if Widowed with young Children.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 March 13 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the marriage and burial dates.
Yes, I also noted the christening date in 1832 but I stressed
the birth date as a likely clue to the marriage.
I will search for a Jane Williams and a possible remarriage around the dates given.
Alexander

Offline Theresa57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 March 17 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, John and Jane Lane are my 3 times great grandparents. Thank you as I had got to Henry Lane (born in Bengal 1826) and got stuck. I am assuming Henry's family were in India with the East India company but I know nothing about them being in Ireland. I have a census of 1891 with Henry 54 (Watch Jobber) and Elizabeth 48 (dressmaker) in Bedford with 3 children John (10) Ellen (14) and Amelia (8). (no sign of Jane - she was probably married by then I would think. What I would really like is Henry and Elizabeths marriage certificate. Any help would be useful thank you

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 March 17 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Theresa
Henry Lane married Elizabeth King in Bedford in the second quarter of 1854. You can gain a certificate from the General Record Office online by entering that information and the reference
for the marriage which is 3b 545. Make sure you use the official site for the GRO and the charge will be about £10. Avoid the others which will charge you far more.
They moved to the Cork area of Ireland. In the census records from 1871 back in Bedford you will see that three children were born in the Cork area. I have contacted Cork archivists but I cannot trace why they went to live there.
Yes, he was a watchmaker in Bedford, and Elizabeth was a dressmaker. Henry was born in Bengal in 1827.
Alex

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 March 17 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Theresa
I should have added to the last reply that Henry Lane was a soldier in the British Army in India, and he was the son of a soldier, John. You will find them online on the official website of the British in India.
Alex

Offline Theresa57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 March 17 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Thats great thank you Alex. Apparently there was a British army barracks in Youghal, Cork

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 March 17 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Thats great thank you Alex. Apparently there was a British army barracks in Youghal, Cork
Yes, It was suggested to me that they may well have lived in Youghal, which I understand is a very pleasant place. If you discover more about their Cork experience, please let me know. I had assumed that he had left the Army and had taken up watch making, but perhaps that started later on after his return to Bedford. I am not connected to the Lane family; I was simply trying to help a person in our village who is, and I was very curious about them.
Alex