Author Topic: Another complete longshot - James Campbell, born Durness 1860  (Read 4524 times)

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Another complete longshot - James Campbell, born Durness 1860
« on: Sunday 10 March 13 22:22 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather Angus Campbell's youngest brother was called James. He was born in Durness in October 1860, and was living there and working as a labourer in 1881. By 1891 he had disappeared from the census records of Durness, and there is no evidence that he returned, as he is certainly not commemorated on the family gravestones.

I cannot find a death in Scotland that fits him, although his name is a very common one. Emigration from Durness to the West was fairly common in the late 19th century, so my best hope is that he settled somewhere far afield, leaving descendants who are trying to trace him back the way to Scotland. If anyone has him on their tree please let me know.

Offline dncampbell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Another complete longshot - James Campbell, born Durness 1860
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 17 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Even more of a longshot - my great (x3) grandfather James Campbell was born about 1801 in Durness, Sutherland but later emigrated to Nova Scotia, Canada. I am trying to find a record of James' father, but no luck so far. Any chance we are related?

I am writing from Idaho, USA

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Another complete longshot - James Campbell, born Durness 1860
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 January 17 23:15 GMT (UK) »
There is no birth of a James Campbell listed in the Durness Parish records from 1790-1814. There was one born in 1785 and one in 1788, but these seem to be too old to fit your ancestor. There were numerous Durness residents emigrated to Prince Edward Island in the early 1800s; a lot of MacLeods and MacKays in particular, but I'm not sure about Campbell emigration there.