Author Topic: LADELL (CAMPLING) Family, West Ham  (Read 19880 times)

Offline margaretedah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LADELL (CAMPLING) Family, West Ham
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi.  Yes I am still very interested in the Ladell's.   Jane Austin, yes very.
I think you are probably correct in Sarah Ladell bapt. 1781 Gimingham.
Her widowed mother Sarah died in 1823 and I have a copy of her 6 page will.  Mother was very concerned that the £1000  that was due to her from her fathers will would be passed on to to her daughters Sarah bapt 1781 and Charlotte bapt. 1789  Charlotte had married William Green at St James Paddington in 1819 but Sarah remained unmarried at the time of her mothers death.
Sarah later married George Giles a fish merchant of Yarmouth and Norfolk RO has a marriage settlement document relating to them. 
Sarah would have been 52 at the time of her marriage (of convenience) but lives alone according to the 1841 & 1851 census. I have not managed to find her in the 1861 but there is a death registered at Yarmouth for a Sarah Giles  in 1862.  I have not yet found her will.
George Giles is listed in the 1841 at a different address to his wife and again in 1851 when he has a live in housekeeper.
If you find out any more I'd be most interested.
Kind regards Maggie.
Ladell,   Travess,

Offline NOTYAL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 07 August 10 20:45 BST (UK) »
Maggie, Here is my transcript of Charles Layton's will, drawn up 17 June 1822 (proved at London 22 Oct 1823):

"... And whereas I sometime since voluntarily entered into  Bond or Obligation to Sarah Ladell for securing to her an annuity or yearly sum of Sixty Pounds for her life and have now reason to believe that she was undeserving of my bounty and that the payment of the said Annuity cannot be legally enforced It is therefore my wish and I direct my Executors hereinafter named to resist the payment of the said Annuity in case the same shall be demanded and to defend any action or other proceedings which may be brought or instituted for the recovery thereof. And in case any such action or other proceeding shall be brought or instituted as aforesaid then I direct my Executors to open peruse and use as they shall think fit or be advised certain letters or other papers relating to the said Sarah Ladell which will be found in my Iron Chest and upon the cover containing which there is an Endorsement stating that the same are referred to in my Will but in case no such action shall be brought as aforesaid then it is my express desire that the said letters be not opened..."

Make of it what you will, but I fear that it does not seem particularly favourable to the lady's character. As Charles was born about 1775 and Sarah about 1781(?), they both appear to have missed out in the marriage stakes - so it could hardly have been a youthful. passionate affair. It might have come about with the object of producing a direct heir for the Layton fortune (which ended up as a Trust for a nephew). Maybe Sarah had proved too old to bear children?

Hope this speculative 'gossip' may be of interest.

Ian

Offline Roddabaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 01 October 10 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

I've been catching up on these Ladell threads, it's been really interesting.

My grandmother was Maud Victoria Thomson  -  Nee Ladell.

Her father is Harry (Henry) Robert Ladell, mother: Emma Ladell – Nee: Bright

MV was - as I said - my grandmother ( Married – I believe to William Dalrymple Thomson, though I’ve never been able to verify it, though she has a confirmed marriage to William Henry Sheerman in 1902) and lived with my family in Newcastle under Lyme until around 1965 when she moved into a warden attended council bungalow nearby. I still live in Newcastle under Lyme.

The attached photograph shows her on the step of her bungalow with her eldest daughter – Phyllis ( My aunt ) and my cousin Robin Circa 1966/7.

I have found the information quite useful, even though I had already found most of it, it’s good to see and hear about others researching the family and I’d be happy to pass on what information I have if anyone needs it.

Best regards.

Barry Cornes

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 16:05 BST (UK) »
To Jean M

I see you have Coppin in your list of names of interest - are they from West Ham area?  My husand's mum was a Coppin.

Regards

Diana
Speller (Thaxted, Prittlewell, West Ham), Thompson (East Peckham, Romford), Wright (Gt Marlow, Romford, Dagenham, Queensland Australia), Cutler (Herts), Channer (High Wycombe), Baker (Romford, Ilford, Stratford)

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hello searchers

I am following a trail for Richard and Ann LADELL, her maiden name was CAMPLING Both born in Norwich, Norfolkca. 1830

Living in Essex by 1900.
West Ham and Leyton locations.
Proprietors of a tobaccanists

Is anyone working on these family names? I would be pleased to exchange history details.

Jean M
Hi
 A lady I used to work with was researching the Ladells She had hundreds on the tree in fact they have meetings in Norfolk and Canada from time to time Several of them lived in Colchester and were Coachbuilders including a Richard and a Christmas Ladell who had a quite large house on Easthill Colchester
One of them was a very famous artist as you probably know so yes try the colchester records as they were definately related to the norwich people
Regards
Ronnie

Offline ajayr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 01 September 11 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi - I picked up your message today.

I don't think I can help you directly but you may be interested in the following:

Richard Ladell and Elizabeth Agatha Simpson were married 30th Sept 1841 at St. Peter Mancroft Church in Norwich. A gravestone in Bradfield Congregational churchyard identifies Caroline Harriett [relict] of the late Groom Lane died 1869 and Richard ladell, her eldest son, died 21st April 1883 aged 68 years. Elizabeth Agatha was the youngest daughter of Capt John Simpson.

I cannot find a link between Elizabeth Agatha Simpson or Captain John Simpson, both of North Walsham in Norfolk, and the Simpsons which are my interest (Benjamin 1760, Benjamin Zmas 1813, Joseph 1815). The interesting aspect is that Groom Lane was a very close personal friend of Benjamin 1760 and Joseph 1815)

If you can throw any light on this I would be very grateful. PS I live in Sheringham Norfolk

Regards

Tony Randall

You may prefer to respond by email
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline margaretedah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 01 June 12 20:30 BST (UK) »
Baptism. 14 Dec.1819.St Nicholas North Walsham. Elizabeth Agatha dau of John Simpson Capt. in Royal Marines and his wife Harriot. DOB 13 Dec 1819.

Does this help at all. 
Ladell,   Travess,

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 30 November 12 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anybody could assist me. I am researching Early Essex Photographers and noticed that ‘margaretedah’ mentions
A-1. Richard Stephen LADELL (Married 1851 Anne Campling FOULSHAM)

The PhotoLondon website has a Richard Stephen Ladell -
Biography: Ladell, Richard Stephen. Born in 1830. Studio: 335 City Road, Finsbury 1876 - 1877. Successors to G J Atkins; succeeded by S W Saunders. Bill of sale September 25 1876 £130, at 83 Newington Causeway, Southwark. Died in Epsom 1888.

Is this the same person and did he have any connections with photography? Also a daughter Minnie Sophia Ladell (born 1857) is not mentioned as one of his children?.

Regarding their daughter
B-3. Kate Ann Ladell Born 1855. No other knowledge at present.

I believe that she and Frederick Hadlow (born 1851 in Reigate, Surrey – died 1923 in St Albans) were together.
I cannot find any details of marriage, but they seem to be a couple and had 4 children.

It would seem that Frederick Hadlow who was a Photographer in Reigate (c. 1871) was previously married to Ada Lancaster (born 27 Dec 1855 in Oxford Street, Southampton). He is shown as marrying her on 29 May 1874 (The Register Office, Stockton, Co Durham). He is resident at Denmark Street, Linthorpe as Studio Photographer. Ada’s father ran a Photographic business in Grosvenor Street, Chester. They may have had a child, as an Ada Lily Hadlow is shown later as being born on 29 March 1875 in Durham, Yorkshire.

The next time I can find him is 1881 in Mile End, Stepney as a Photographer Operator, with his wife Kate (born 17 Dec 1854 in Norwich, Norfolk – died 1945?). He goes on to run a photographic studio in Barking Road, Plaistow. Between 1877 and 1881, they have 4 children - Kate, Rose, Daisy and George Frederick. By 1891 he has given up photography and is now a General Labourer and later a Saw Mill Labourer in West Ham. I think he may have died in St. Albans in 1923, but do not know what happen to Kate after 1911.

I would appreciate it if anyone can confirm Frederick Hadlow marriage to Kate Ladell, also her father’s connection to running a photographic studio. I can supply more detailed notes to other researchers if this would assist them.

Regards Bobfilm :)
Researching East London & Essex Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers and Studios in Waltham Forest.

Offline margaretedah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 30 November 12 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi. These are the notes from my database.  He seems to have had a very checkered employment, not able to stick at anything for to long.  However, I have not been able to find any mariage between Kate Ann Ladell and Frederick Hadlow.
Minnie Sophia Ladell born 1857 Shoreditch R.Dist. married James Leach in 1876 in the Bethnal Green R.Dist. They had children. Florence B 1877, James H 1879, Elizabeth 1883, Arthur 1886, Kate 1888 and John 1890.

Hope this helps.

Richard Stephen LADELL. 

Bapt. 7 June 1829 St Peter Parmentergate Norwich. Richard son of Robert & Susan Ladell Carpenter

1841 census: Rose Lane Norwich. age 12 LADELL
1851 census: Norwich. age 21 Warehouse man.to shawl manufacturer.
1861 census: 8 Bristow Rd. Shoreditch Middx. Clerk in shawl manufacture  LIVING AS SEPERATE FAMILY BUT AT SAME ADDRESS as parents Robert Stephen & Susannah Ladell and their children
1881 census: 517 Hackney Rd.Bethnal Green Middx. age 52 Tobacconist LA-DELL
present at the marriage of Arthur Norman Ladell in1886
Will states occupation as: Tobacconistm rent & debt collector & Jewller.
Marriage info. taken from Free BMD
Admitted FREEMAN OF NORWICH Dec1850, Manufacturer.

Biography -  Ladell, Richard Stephen - Born in 1830. Died 1888.  STUDIO: 335 City Road, Finsbury 1876 - 1877. Successors to G J Atkins; succeeded by S W Saunders.Bill of sale September 25 1876 £130, at 83 Newington Causeway, Southwark.Died in Epsom 1888.OccupationsPhotographer [List all] <http://82.109.94.204/photolondon/pages/search.asp?search=listing&oid=1&occ=Photographer> 1876
Ladell,   Travess,