Author Topic: (James Work & Mary Reid) – Kirkwall, Orkney  (Read 4731 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST (Speciality - South Uist, Inverness)
    • View Profile
(James Work & Mary Reid) – Kirkwall, Orkney
« on: Tuesday 12 March 13 02:18 GMT (UK) »
James Work b 1869 St. Ola, Orkney = Mary Reid b 1870 Eday, Orkney (married 1889, Kirkwall, Orkney)

They had at least 6 children from 1891 – 1901 all b Kirkwall, Orkney.

James William,
Robert,
GEORGE c1894 = Margaret Steele b1891 in SOUTH UIST, Inverness, Scotland
Mary Ann = Daniel Richmond
Elizabeth C, 
Catherine (although I think there may be more).

I have included all those names in the hope that someone will be able to identify the family.

GEORGE Work c1894 moved to Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland where he married Margaret Steele 1919 in St. Rollox, Glasgow. Margaret was the daughter of Archibald Steele & Janet Cumming of South Uist, Scotland.

GEORGE & Margaret migrated in 1923 to Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA where George’s sister Mary Ann & husband Daniel Richmond were already living. 

George & Margaret had a daughter GEORGINA Work c1925 b Pennsylvania, USA

In 1930 census Georgina was with her now remarried mother Mrs Margaret Henderson.

Georgina returned to Scotland aged 9yrs in 1934 but the incoming passenger list I have gives no indication of who she travelled with. Did she return with her father George or had her mother previously been widowed?
Georgina returned to her grandparent’s Archibald & Janet Steele in South Uist, where she attended the local school.

It is believed that Georgina eventually moved to Worksop, Nottingham, UK but I can find no trace of her in either Scotland or England. I couldn’t find a marriage or death in either location.

Hoping someone can break this barrier as she seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth without trace.

Thanks in advance,

Anne Marie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, MacKinnon, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: (James Work & Mary Reid) – Kirkwall, Orkney
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne Marie ,

As it is possible that this person is still alive I'll PM you with what I have found.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , The IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST (Speciality - South Uist, Inverness)
    • View Profile
Re: (James Work & Mary Reid) – Kirkwall, Orkney
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ev,

Done some more digging and this looks to be my missing Georgina & husband:

http://announce.jpress.co.uk/21284532?s_source=jppo_whg

Now hoping any descendants of the above will get in touch.

Regards & thanks,

Anne Marie.

P.S. For anyone connected with the above, Georgina was my grandmother's neice - my 1st cousin - 1 remove.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, MacKinnon, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"