Author Topic: Luting/ Lurton/Lorton of Tamlaghtard/Magilligan  (Read 5408 times)

Offline killin09

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Luting/ Lurton/Lorton of Tamlaghtard/Magilligan
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 13:17 BST (UK) »
Since starting my research for the Lurtings of Magilligan I have discovered that James Lurton b. 1782 Magilligan my G.G.Grandfather enrolled in the 21st Regiment of Scots Fusiliers on 11/02/1808 in Londonderry. He was wounded in the Left knee on the 08/01/1815 at the battle of New Orleans and was given a medical discharge on the 25/06/1817 in Valenciennes, Northern France, due to the fact that he was unable to march in consequence of this wound.
He returned to Magilligan where he married Agnes Canning and their children James b.1826, Jane b.1826, William b.1829, John b.1831, Ann b.1833 and Henry b.1835 can be seen on the 1841/51 census's living with various relations and neighbours.  I can only presume that James and Agnes are dead.
I can not find any trace of their marriage or their deaths, although I have applied to LDS for a copy of Drumachose C of I records from 1804, Microfilm No. SLC496750 to be forwarded to my local library. I had also searched the LDS catalogue for the Tamlaghtard C of I PRONI MIC 1/86 records, as I feel this may hold more Lurting/Lorton names or give me more information. Unfortunately I was unable to find a copy of this record in the LDS catalogue. As I am unable to visit PRONI I wonder if there is any other way I could view this record?

At the moment I know that John Lurting married Catherine Cust  and his Testament of 1733 left his estate to his son Henry and daughter Catherine. John died in 1736 and the Mrs Lurting living in the townland of Carnowry on the 1740 Survey of Prodestant Householders is his widow Catherine.

Henry's first wife was Sarah who died in 1749, there does not appear to be any children from this marriage.
Henry's second wife was Rebecca and their children were Lt. John b.1759, his daughter Elizabeth married William Wilson in 1808. 
William b.1760 I believe is the Flax grower on the 1796 List
Catherine b.1762, could be the Miss Lurting, who married Alexander King in Magilligan in 1785.

Henry and Rebecca also had a Mary Ann, Martha, Henry, and two daughters named Rebecca who died, one in 1768 and the second in 1770.

I believe that James b.1782, William b.1791 d.1866 in Limavady aged 75. and John b.1809 could be the children of William b.1760.

Not sure where Maria Lurting b.1803, who married James Reynolds in 1828 and John b.1813. her brother fit in but they could be the children of Henry Lurtin of Keenaght on the 1831 census. Maria and John can both be seen living together on the 1841/51 census's. Maria a widow on the 1851 census and John aged 38 still unmarried. I have found a death record for a John Lurton in 1874 but do not know if this is John b.1809 or John above b.1813.

William Lurting b.1817 is, I believe, the son of William b.1791.  ----  He married Ann Cust b.1819 in 1848. Their first child Mary Lurting b.1849 married George Leek in 1874. George later became the Nationalist M.P. for Derry.
William and Ann  had two more children Catherine Jane b.1851 and William b.1851. This William  can be seen on the 1901 and 1911 census's a bachelor living at Lower Doaghs Magilligan.

I did see on the 1831 Census for Dunboe, a James Nurtin 23, Ballyhachet, Glennaharry and a John Nurtin 24, Ballyhachet, Magilligan and wondered if this could be my G.G.Grandfather and his brother John b.1809, especially as on the 1841 census there was only a John, no mention of a James. I presume they were flax growers.

James and Agnes's eldest son James b.1826 married a Rosanna in Newtown, Limavady in 1850. I cannot find any record of their daughter Jane b.1826. Their other children, William, John, Ann and Henry Lorton  all married in Ireland but went over to Ayrshire in Scotland in the early 1860's and 1870's. Although the surname was changed to Norton over the years, they all continued to name their children James, John, William and Henry. and it continued so until the mid 1900's.

Although my line from William b.1829 is Episcopalian, maybe through his wife's side, I did notice that his brothers were R.C. As was the William on the 1901,1911 census's. I am therefore a little concerned that the C of I records from Drumachose and also the PRONI MIC 1/86 will not be of any help to me, as I believe they are mostly C of I records. I understand that in the late 1700's and early 1800's it was not unusual for the different denominations to intermarry?

I will be grateful to hear of any help or advice I can get on tying up the loose ends of the Lurtings from around 1780 to 1840. Or if anyone can spot glaring mistakes I have made.

Offline daw3dy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 17:55 BST (UK) »
Killin09,
I just came across this old thread as I am beginning to carry out some research.
I'm also trying to trace the Lurtings: Elizabeth, daughter of Lieut. John Lurting, married my ancestor William Wilson (whose forebears I have so far been unable to trace.) Many thanks for your contribution which will, if correct, take the Lurtings two generations further back than I had been able to find anywhere else.
You mentioned that you had copies of the wills of John & Henry Lurting: I would be fascinated to see these if possible.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I do not know where you live but if you can visit PRONI in Belfast there is a folder, T1021 (1-32), which contains notes of the Lurting family of Magilligan from the year 1625. It was compiled by Lorton Alexander Wilson, a Fellow of the Society of genealogists and a founder member of The Irish genealogical Society. He compiled a folder of one branch of my family and it is packed with information.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline daw3dy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 19:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response. I've seen a bit about L.A. Wilson's work, and have been meaning to go and look at his notes; but I am living in the U.S. for now, so unfortunately it will have to wait.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   For some information about Wilson see https://sites.google.com/site/irishberrygenealogy/lorton-alexander-Wilson . You could always contact PRONI and ask for the cost of a xeroxed copy of
T1021 (18). I don't think that it would be too expensive.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Rebecca2mac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 November 16 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my dad was called Thomas Norton he lived in Johnstone, and as far as I know his ancestors were from Northern Ireland his father was William Norton, he was named after his great grandfather Thomas Norton, at one point the name changed from Lurton.